2020 Defender Spy Shots....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw

Adventurer
Hanging stuff off the sides is just asking for them to get ripped off by trees and bushes. I have been on trails where side clearance is minimal and the stripes I get are significant. If you are selling this for mall cruisers then I guess the picnic crowd will surely like it.
Be careful there, seems like many folks touring full time (you know the ones that get paid to do this) do something similar, reg. side mounted equip. Maybe for your trails, or if you are wheeling in tight spaces....but that doesn't generally align with what most folks do on this site or what the primary use case for this rig is.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Almost everyone has injected an opinion here and it is usually their own for their own purposes, as I did. I find this newer vehicle with possibly less room inside than most may have to resort to adding pods to the outside for gear. I find that a design issue that might require further study but the vehicle is already out and this forum is discussing the pros and cons of the thing to infinity. My opinion is worth as much as any of the others and I find this vehicle lacking.
I use a roof rack on my LR3 as the inside is where I sleep and even my LR doesn't have the room for gear and me.
I certainly did not wish to offend the mall cruiser crowd.

nickw

Adventurer
Almost everyone has injected an opinion here and it is usually their own for their own purposes, as I did. I find this newer vehicle with possibly less room inside than most may have to resort to adding pods to the outside for gear. I find that a design issue that might require further study but the vehicle is already out and this forum is discussing the pros and cons of the thing to infinity. My opinion is worth as much as any of the others and I find this vehicle lacking.
I use a roof rack on my LR3 as the inside is where I sleep and even my LR doesn't have the room for gear and me.
Opinion isn't worth much when your logic is flawed, regardless, turn the clock back dude.....go look at what people were saying when your LR3 was released. Pros and cons to everything, roof racks included. This is every bit as offroad / expedition worthy as a LR3, if not more so.

DieselRanger

The pods may be containers for things like rotopax tanks or LR's own accessory tank design. Don't want to carry fuel inside the vehicle dude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

catmann

It's waiting and ready to go:

889d1ccf-2019-frankfurt-motor-show-preview-44.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The reality is that someday I will need a replacement for the LR4, that the D5 fails the wife test while the new Defender incorporates the rear end of my Discovery I, profile of my LR4 with a LR3 front end (well except for those headlights). As always, pricing and will it make a good tow vehicle.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It's okay. I do like that we will have a few options that aren't sleek crossovers and will look more like traditional SUV's. Bronco, Defender etc.

The way I see it is, it's better than the brand new Defender that was available in Canada last year....

blackangie

The side storage container look pretty good in photos. They look like Thule boxes mounted off to the side. Take it out on the trails and it risk being ripped off by branches or on rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point, current defender people hang all sorts off things off there 2, i don't think it will protrude past the folded mirrors width or guards. Even if you did hit it, its better to hit that or the ladder than the side of the truck, its probably made out of that flexible abs stuff, who knows, certainly a good spot muddy recovery gear.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

blackangie

My initial reaction is that Land Rover missed the mark with the new Defender. It looks like a LR4 with larger tire openings and a sloping roof line. The amount of technology has increased, not decreased. There are too many gimmicks (exterior storage, side ladder). Ladders belong on the rear or they are trail damage. Overall I think the design is too soft and long term sales will reflect that. It has the feel of the Discovery 5 which is struggling. The price point appears to be too high but need to wait for US pricing. In summary there is little that would encourage me to move from my LR4 to the new Defender then again I need to eventually go sit in one and drive it. I will be honest about SOTA. Unless it can be 100% disabled by me and does not share my data with 3rd parties it is a deal breaker. As I said before we will know if the new Defender is a success in 2 to 3 years.

The new Land Rover Defender: a 4x4 to be reckoned with or marketing gimmick?

Jaguar Land Rover retail sales fall 6.7% in August 2019

Edit add: The new Defender is a LR4 with a D1/2 rear door?
D5 if average ticket price was AU100,000 (its probably more) sells 40k units per year, thats AU 4 billion in sales(2.7billion US), hardly struggling. Similar sales numbers to the RRVougue.

This to me looks nothing like the D5 inside or out.

SOTA and FOTA is no different to you mobile phone in terms of functionality.

Data sharing outgoing will be opt in from LR, there are articles on it, they will pay in bitcoin for it, if and when that is released.

blackangie

Hanging stuff off the sides is just asking for them to get ripped off by trees and bushes. I have been on trails where side clearance is minimal and the stripes I get are significant. If you are selling this for mall cruisers then I guess the picnic crowd will surely like it.
Side mounting stuff on Defenders and other vehicles like jeeps and Toyotas there's nothing new.

Just about every truck in Australia runs a side mounted awning as well, it's very rare that you he is someone hitting it off road or ripping it off.
cc00809ab49578f533fdcd208224c85a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger