2020 Northstar Liberty - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

montypower

Adventure Time!
I wish an onboard generator was an option on the super duty like the f150, that would be a nice option for truck campers.

You do have one! Built in. Called the alternator. That's what we use. 240amps of charging goodness. Although the DC charger only charges @ 50amps. :)

montypower

Adventure Time!
@runaway - Thanks for sharing your journey! I do think Northstar is an excellent value. And the Laredo SC is tough to beat if you don't want to do many modifications and have off grid capability in a solid package. Of course, we love the smaller Liberty but it took a ton of customization to fit the Laredo features into the small space. However, it's worth it for us! Glad some of our videos can be helpful for ideas.

3. MTB storage inside is absolutely the best. Anything behind the camper gets filthy dirty!

4. Keeping your tailgate seems ideal for your setup. The one consideration... your gray tank dump connection will be covered by the tailgate so you might need to either modify or remove. We removed ours.

5. Yes, you absolutely could do that. Camper construction behind wood framing makes modification easy!

I'd recommend getting lithium batteries and DC charger for helping with going off grid. Add solar from there. You do need 300-400W to be reasonably functional. Did you get the compressor fridge or propane?

Seems like an incredible first camper setup! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing. :)

GeorgeHayduke

4. It appears that with the tailgate down, we can load up the camper and it will go almost to the end of the tailgate. I’ve measured but not tested this yet, waiting for the new bedliner to cure. This seems ideal since we should not have to remove and store the tailgate when using the camper, and put it back on when using the truck around town. It also means that we can use the retractable step that is built into the tailgate as a step to get into the camper and not have to buy/carry another set of steps. Am I missing something here? Any reason not to leave the tailgate on?
One consideration is to make sure you can still get to your spare tire with the tailgate down. I'm not as familiar with how it works on Fords, but on our Ram when the tailgate is down it blocks the access port where the crank goes to lower the spare.

montypower

Adventure Time!

Faith takes charge on this episode! There have been numerous requests on cooking and living in a TINY truck camper. We decided to share our dinner prep and give a tour of our space as we prepare a meal. Hopefully, this can give some good ideas to help you! Living in a small space requires some adjustments but you can still eat well and live comfortably. Thanks for sharing!

Salad:
1 head of lettuce washed and leaves cut or torn into large pieces
2 tomatoes sliced or quartered
½ red onion thinly sliced
1 avocado sliced or diced
1 tbs finely chopped cilantro
Juice of 2 limes
2 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
To make the dressing whisk the chopped cilantro, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together.
Combine the lettuce, tomatoes, onions and avocado in a large bowl.
Toss the salad with the dressing and serve.
Notes: Add slices of grilled chicken or meat, or leftover salmon/shrimp to make this full entree style salad.

Pampered Chef - Classic Pesto
2 Cups Fresh Basil
1/4 cup pine nuts (can remove or we use sliced almonds)
1/3 Cup Pampered Chef Garlic in-fused oil (we love this oil, but if we are out I use olive oil and add fresh garlic)
1 Tablespoon Pampered Chef Garlic & Herb Rub
1 oz Parmesan cheese

You will want to add about a 1/4 cup of butter when you cook it to add to the Pesto. Also this recipe makes 2 servings of pesto. My big sister is a pampered chef rep and an amazing cook, she introduced me to freezer meals a few years ago and I got to try a lot of different spices and pampered chef recipes. Before 2020 she would host a freezer meal party every month and you would get to try 8-10 new recipes, while making meal prep for the month. This is one of my favorite recipes!!

Last edited:

runaway

Thanks for the replies, will definitely check to see if the spare tire and grey water drain are accessible with the tailgate down. Didn't even think of either of those things so I'm glad I asked. Wife has been busy so I haven't been able to load it up yet - seems like a 2 person job at least for us beginners.

Edit (6/12/21): Grey water drain comes out the rear of the camper (not underneath) so we are able to drain it with no issues with the tailgate on. See pictures in post #71, a few down from this one. Pretty sure the spare tire will come down as well but haven't checked that yet. We've been using the camper with tailgate on for a while now and it works well although it is a pretty big step up. In the long run we may decide to remove the tailgate and add some torklift steps or a Little giant ladder to make it a bit easier. Still very happy with the camper and truck combo!

Last edited:

runaway

Forgot to mention, it came with the standard 3-way fridge that runs on propane, 120V, or 12V. We didn't really have a choice as we had to buy one off the lot if we wanted to get it anytime soon and didn't want to drive more than a few hours to get it. So we took what the dealer closest to us had in stock, figuring it would do the job and it was better to have a slightly imperfect camper than no camper! Again, these things are in super short supply right now and ordering a custom one would likely involve a 6-12 month wait and possibly longer - supply chain issues being what they are right now, there is a lot of uncertainty there.

Fortunately, while the dealer had ordered our unit with A/C, Northstar ran out of the A/C units and couldn't get any more in time for delivery, so they deleted that option and we didn't have to pay it or have the extra weight and hole in the roof. They had cut a hole in the interior ceiling (and left it unfinished with a cutout in the insulation and the A/C wire sticking out!) but fortunately left the exterior roof intact. We had the dealer cover the hole in the ceiling with a piece of white board and some plastic trim - they tried to talk us into adding another fan there but that seemed ridiculous as the main fan is less than 3 feet away. Plus if we ever do want to add a bunch of solar on the roof we will have more space for it.

Having said that, we have no immediate plans to add solar - we may eventually, but we pretty much blew our budget on the camper, and we need to use it a bunch, figure out how and how often we will be using it etc before we drop a bunch more cash into solar and lithium batteries. It is wired for an external portable solar panel so we may start with that and see how it goes. We are not planning to live in it full time, and as it is our first camper we have a lot to learn about all the systems onboard and how they work before making it even more complicated!

Wife loved the cooking with Faith video by the way. We are now thinking about ordering that kitty litter trash can and DeWalt vaccuum - we are also a DeWalt family so it will fit right in. My sister used to design power tools for them, believe it or not!

montypower

Adventure Time!
It will be a great camper to learn on for sure! Propane fridge is good for less power draw. But compressor fridge is nicer is most other ways. But with it you'd need a better battery charging system for off grid.

You might be able to camp off grid for a couple days asis. Just monitor your battery charge and keep it above 50% for AGM batteries if you want longer lifespan. You can run them to zero but they won't last as long... although it may not matter if thinking to upgrade in the next year or two.

We felt the same way about 2 fans so close!! Glad you didn't have the roof hole to patch.

Will tell Faith... that will make her happy. Maybe she will do more! Glad you enjoyed some of the ideas that work well for us. :)

What fun trips are planned?

runaway

@montypower - I don't think we have a built in way to monitor the battery charge, and need to figure out how to do that - any suggestions? We do have 2 new Interstate 34M AMG batteries in the camper and the truck also came with 2 batteries and the 397 amp Alternator. I'm hoping we can get at least 2-3 days out of the camper batteries and also hoping they will recharge well from the truck alternator when we're driving around. I've heard the alternator may not charge them all that much though, will have to test that out and see. And having camped out of tents for years we have a bunch of headlamps etc so I'm pretty sure we can survive without battery power for a night or two if needed.

I think we will start with some local overnighters within 1-2 hours from home to get a feel for how everything works, and then take it out to the Grand Canyon and Moab area in mid April. We have a couple backpacking trips scheduled then and will use it as a basecamp before/after/in between. Hopefully some longer trips this summer/fall depending on my wife's job situation etc. Eventually I'd like to take it down to Baja and maybe up to the PNW/Alaska, etc etc.

So we loaded up the camper today with the tailgate on and it worked out great. The tailgate step and a small stool together make it pretty easy to get in and out. And the greywater drain is fully accessible as well. Pictures below:
PXL_20210316_213922909.jpgPXL_20210316_213927400.jpg

montypower

Adventure Time!
You can get a DC socket plug that has USB and voltage. Lots of them for cheap on Amazon. Not the ideal solution but good for down and dirty!

That's incredible how well the tailgate length and step worked out perfectly. I've always thought those steps were silly but this application is perfect. Nice work!

That's a massive amount of alternator charging power! If you are referring to charging from the 7 pin trailer connection.... that won't happen. You'll be lucky to see 5amps go through that small wire and feed the batteries. That won't do anything of value. You'll want a DC charger (we have a video on it) and run big feed wire to the camper. The nice thing with the DC charger is that you can hook solar panels to it (also has MPPT charge controller built in). Getting at least one or two solar panels will be a big help.

Alternatively, you could just run an power feed from the truck with an isolator since you're running AGM batteries. But the DC charger offers more functionality if you decide on Lithium or want solar and offers more control (plus ability to monitor via phone app).

With fully charged batteries and not running the heater... you could probably last 1-2 days on fully charged batteries. If you are careful with power usage. With no charging.

One of the frustrations with AGM batteries is their slow charge past 85% or so. So regardless of how much power you feed it's more of a trickle charge to get them topped off. AGM batteries do take some abuse though! And you could likely get 1-3 years use even with fully draining them and not properly recharging. Might as well run them till they fail. :)

runaway

Got it, thanks again for all the great info. I watched your video and will consider adding that Renogy DC to DC charger. The extra battery and 397 amp alternator in the truck seems like overkill, but since we have it I wonder if there is a way we can take advantage of the extra capacity there. I'm pretty new at all this electrical stuff so I need to do a bunch more research.

I was also quite skeptical of the tailgate step - I would not have ordered that but it came on the truck we got and now I'm glad we got it. The truck bed is up pretty high so it should be useful anytime we need to get in and out of the bed as well (when using the truck without the camper). It's still a pretty big step up from that tailgate step into the camper - no big deal for a 6' tall guy with long legs but my wife is 5'4" so it's more of a stretch for her. I had her get in and out a bunch of times yesterday and she seems OK with it for now but that could change when we actually start using it for real. I think I could maybe add a cantilevered slide-out step between the truck bed and the camper base if needed, to give her an intermediate step.

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's a good idea. We found coming out of the camper backwards (same as a ladder) was helpful since you could hold onto the camper while stepping down. Might give that a try if you haven't already. Lots of learning on your new adventure!

dayHiker

Thanks for the great vidoes, and all the comments. Helped me make the decision to purchase a new Liberty. It has been better than expected. Compared to my old Trail Lite trailer, the build qualtiy is excellent. Joints are tight, everything sealed, extremely well laid out, storage places everywhere and everything worked. The only complaint was the poorly designed and installed riser (think it was subcontracted out). It was cracked due to screws not pre-drilled, soft wood, and located in places without support. It has been removed!!

The liberty works well on my old GMC 2005 Sierra 1500 regular cab 4WD. Over hang is just barely visible when driving. Added Timbren bumps, and heavy coil shocks. No sag. Yes, it is at the limit of the truck payload, but drives well. With 3/4 ton trucks at 50k and up, need to make due with the trusty 2005 GMC (200k miles). Should note, my Liberty does not have AC or microwave (no options except Maxifans and riser - bought off the lot) which helps with weight.

Already added solar myshelf (thanks for your video using Renogy flexible panels - using the 175 watt version) and 2nd AGM battery. Using two group 31 batteries. They fit perfectly with a little room to space for the new Victron controller. The Liberty comes pre-wired for solar with wires going from the refrig roof vent to the battery bay. Saved a lot of work running wires.

OK, one other complaint besides the riser, the converter is not the newer version that can be switched for lithium batteries. My Liberty is a 2021, so they should have made the switch but maybe hard to get with COVID supply issues. Not a problem now, but will be in the future when I move to lithium.

Again, thanks all for all the great ideas, video links and comments.
NV 2021 Liberty.jpg

montypower

Adventure Time!
@dayHiker
That's awesome! Congratulations on the new Liberty. I'm glad you like it. Definitely a solid build and value for the money. It's incredible how expensive so many of these campers are becoming. Glad your existing truck is working well too.

Appreciate you sharing your story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179