2020 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-X pop-up slide-in pickup camper (renamed "Back Country" as of 2023)

tacollie

Glamper
I had reached out to them. They were very nice and responsive and I appreciated the manager sending me a signed quote for their discounted price. I think I would've bought from them if I had bought new.
Their discount is why we bought new. We were there first OEV customer. They were great to work with. They have to be getting motivated to move the 2 on the lot. I think they have had them since August.

hscoots

I was seriously interested, but $6000 price increase has me seriously reconsidering and looking hard at other options!
So apparently cross country is an upgrade from their true shell models. It's just confusing, I think initially when they came out with the video few months ago, they marketed shell models as cross country and it would have some basic amenities like heat, cushions and what not. I think what they ended up doing was adding bit more features to it and increasing the price by $6K, they still have a page up for true shell models with none of those amenities/features for that original price. I think 8 foot cross country would've worked for me but it's too pricey than what I was expecting.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
...One thing that we found weird is the propane regulator makes a really loud rhythmic noise. It almost sounded like water dripping in a sink. Has anyone else experienced a loud regulator?

Our 2020 makes that noise. It's a cross between a water drip and a bird chirping. Maybe a bird imitating a water drip? Ha. Never really noticed it the first year, but these last couple it's seemed to be louder or more noticeable. Makes it slow when only the heater or water heater are on and faster when both are running at the same time.

Chadx

I am having the same issue with my roof not aligning. I guess I still need practice to figure out this wiggle technique. But my real issue is that I am having to use all of my body weight and strength to get the front down. I read to leave the door close, start with the front, and place the fans on exhaust but it's not helping at all. I expected it to require some strength to open the roof, which turns out to be pretty easy minus the initial push, but why is it so hard to close? Does anybody else struggle to close their camper? I'm nearly throwing out my back wrestling the hinge down.

I use a strap tied to the front bracket rather than crawling up there to pull it down. I don't use the "close it up and vent the fans" method. I just leave the back door and/or window and vent open if they already happen to be. When standing at the back of the camper, I pull the strap attached to the front bracket and it collapses on it's own. Maybe they are putting stronger struts on nowadays (or by request on the original build). That would help lifting during setup (particularly with items stored on the roof) but make it much harder to collapse the top. I close the front then the rear.

I've always got a little left to right misallignment that I compensate for by either lightly pushing it one direction as it collapses or a little shove after the fact. Mine cheats itself to the drivers side. As far as front to back alignment, whichever end you close first will be the end the roof panel overhangs. With the strap, I could try harder to close them both at once, but I don't since it only takes a second to jostle the rear bracket and creep the entire lid towards the rear the needed amount. It seems there is some variance in alignment, which side the roof favors when closing, strut strength, etc. so everyone's experience varies.

Chadx

We did our annual spring UT trip in early-mid April. This year it was Natural Bridges, Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley, some mountain roads (turned around by snow), Long Canyon Road, Dead Horse point, Canyonlands (Needles, White Rim Road), etc. No campgrounds; all dispersed camping as usual. Well, one reserved spot; White Crack campsite on the White Rim Road.

Rain was in the forecast for our White Rim Road overnight, but ranger said "Nah, it'll be fine". Spent a restless night cursing the rangers nonchalant answer while it POURED rain HARD and wind shook us for hours and hours. It stopped right as we got up, sun came out, and it was beautiful. Walked at bit of the road out at 9am and it had mostly dried out. Left by 10am and never left any ruts and no slipping the entire 5+ hour drive out. Imagine that - The local range was spot-on correct right. Ha. But at 2am, the "always be prepared" part of me was not so sure.

Have a lot of great images but will only include those with the camper to keep on topic. No pictures on the gnarly section (shelf roads, etc.). Too busying getting through those sections before meeting another rig.

First night camp spot, near Hanksville, UT, after spending the day driving down from Montana.
20230409_194140.jpg

Valley of the Gods camp spot night 2 after spending some time hiking in Natural Bridges Monument.
20230410_183214.jpg

Drive up Long Canyon Road after a dispersed camping and then day hiking in Needles.
20230412_171230.jpg

Long Canyon Road.
20230412_172442.jpg

Camp spot near (not in) Dead Horse State Park night 4.
20230412_183949.jpg

Schafer switchbacks about 20 minutes before we headed down.
20230413_105535.jpg

Progress on White Rim Road.
20230413_150012.jpg

20230413_150146.jpg

Turn off for White Crack campsite.
20230413_174502.jpg

Post-overnight rain storm - Night 5 (Night 6 was dispersed camping north of Canyonlands before the drive home on day 7).
20230414_081718.jpg

Last edited:

Chadx

Starting a conversation about OEV camper mounting hardware. @DesertT4R and I started discussing and it has me curious how the brackets have evolved since our 2020 camper was fitted as well as the mounting/backer plate and attachment points. I know that some camper brands, like our previous, simply slap 4 eyebolts through the bed floor with 2" - 4" washers or backer plates and call it a day. OEV typically attempts to use the pickup bed bolts and, if those are not close enough to where the brackets are located, have the installer connect supporting brackets from the back of the bracket to the frame of the pickup and/or use multiple bolts in each bracket to ensure a more heavy duty mounting system. I bump and twist down some fairy rough terrain and feel like we give the brackets (and camper) some good tests such as 2 days on the White Rim Road, some washed out High Clearance 4x4 roads in Capital Reef (resulting one wheel in the air often and one particularly nasty section that had the rear axle (and entire pickup and camper) hopping hard for about 4 or 5 seconds. Also, our typical weekend forest service roads which, much to my wife's chagrin, often has me turning onto fire tower roads or similar that we have no business being on with this rig. Ha.

Thought it would be an interesting conversation and would like to see pics and descriptions of various installs. It will be helpful for those that buy used OEV and are doing their own bracket install as these campers have been out long enough that we are starting to see second hand purchases and installs now.

For some background on my mat setup, etc., reference post #29 earlier in this thread:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...country-as-of-2023.214329/page-2#post-2773760

My front bracket in a Toyota Tundra with 6.5' bed. Note that factory bed bolts couldn't be used. Four bolts were used to hold in the front bracket. The middle two with backer plates and the outer two with added bracket bolted to the frame (see following images).

20200419_151215.jpg

Two brackets such as this were added below the outer bolt and bolted to the frame.
20230508_122114.jpg

The two inner bolts, on the front bracket, have backer plates.
20230508_121533.jpg

The rear bracket plates each have two bolts. I believe there is a newer designed rear bracket where one bolt is on either side of the tie down point rather than both bolts on one side of the tie down point. (yes I did notice the lack of washer, but as one can see in the next picture, I suspect that it was left off to ensure all nut threads are engaged to the juuuuust barely long enough bolt and so I haven't bothered with it).
20200419_150510.jpg

This is one of two bolts one one rear bracket. I couldn't get to the second one to take a picture.
20230508_121631.jpg

Last edited:

thegoldrun

Did you make any mods for colder weather charging, like a heating pad for the batteries?

Not on my CampX, never needed to as we stored it in the winter. But just received a Hudson Bay and Im going to install one or two 12v silicon heater pads on a digital thermostat + switch, big plans for winter travels this year. Still debating the Truma Antifreeze kit. Pulling the filter and dumping the tank is easy enough, not sure if its worth it yet.

Ninelitetrip

Not on my CampX, never needed to as we stored it in the winter. But just received a Hudson Bay and Im going to install one or two 12v silicon heater pads on a digital thermostat + switch, big plans for winter travels this year. Still debating the Truma Antifreeze kit. Pulling the filter and dumping the tank is easy enough, not sure if its worth it yet.

Would be interested to see what you set up once done.

DesertT4R

Starting a conversation about OEV camper mounting hardware. @DesertT4R and I started discussing and it has me curious how the brackets have evolved since our 2020 camper was fitted as well as the mounting/backer plate and attachment points. I know that some camper brands, like our previous, simply slap 4 eyebolts through the bed floor with 2" - 4" washers or backer plates and call it a day. OEV typically attempts to use the pickup bed bolts and, if those are not close enough to where the brackets are located, have the installer connect supporting brackets from the back of the bracket to the frame of the pickup and/or use multiple bolts in each bracket to ensure a more heavy duty mounting system. I bump and twist down some fairy rough terrain and feel like we give the brackets (and camper) some good tests such as 2 days on the White Rim Road, some washed out High Clearance 4x4 roads in Capital Reef (resulting one wheel in the air often and one particularly nasty section that had the rear axle (and entire pickup and camper) hopping hard for about 4 or 5 seconds. Also, our typical weekend forest service roads which, much to my wife's chagrin, often has me turning onto fire tower roads or similar that we have no business being on with this rig. Ha.

Thought it would be an interesting conversation and would like to see pics and descriptions of various installs. It will be helpful for those that buy used OEV and are doing their own bracket install as these campers have been out long enough that we are starting to see second hand purchases and installs now.

For some background on my mat setup, etc., reference post #29 earlier in this thread:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...country-as-of-2023.214329/page-2#post-2773760

My front bracket in a Toyota Tundra with 6.5' bed. Note that factory bed bolts couldn't be used. Four bolts were used to hold in the front bracket. The middle two with backer plates and the outer two with added bracket bolted to the frame (see following images).

View attachment 777576

Two brackets such as this were added below the outer bolt and bolted to the frame.
View attachment 777577

The two inner bolts, on the front bracket, have backer plates.
View attachment 777578

The rear bracket plates each have two bolts. I believe there is a newer designed rear bracket where one bolt is on either side of the tie down point rather than both bolts on one side of the tie down point. (yes I did notice the lack of washer, but as one can see in the next picture, I suspect that it was left off to ensure all nut threads are engaged to the juuuuust barely long enough bolt and so I haven't bothered with it).
View attachment 777579

This is one of two bolts one one rear bracket. I couldn't get to the second one to take a picture.
View attachment 777580
Thanks for providing the photos. This will help with my installation. When I asked OEV about the Tundra bracket installation they provided a sketch of the bracket design. It looks like there are a few changes from your brackets. 

Attachments

• OEV Tundra bracket sketch.jpg
    OEV Tundra bracket sketch.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 33

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
Just got back from a seven-day, 2,000 mile trip from Arizona through New Mexico to Texas and Big Bend National Park. The Camp-X was flawless despite surviving a severe thunderstorm with hail, very strong winds, and five hours of rain.

Thought I would post pictures of our Molle panel with new attachments - thanks to the Molle nuts from MisterSmith. I attached two L-Tracks to the driver side panel, from which I can attach / detach different devices, like hooks to stow away the ladder while on the move or wet towels when camping.

I use the passenger-side panel for traction boards and gas for the portable fire ring.

IMG_1383.jpegIMG_1384.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78