2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

180out

After these horrible noise makers wear out, i will likely being going back to Dually

There are AMPLE horror stories of the Goodyears being out of round from new, and Buckstop literally warns of this on their website.

There is no chance in hell i am going to take a chance at close to $1k a tire.
I stuck with dual tires and i am glad i did. having 7 tires on board saved my butt once and gives me confidence while i am in the way out back. the toyos have been good to me and the goldcoins from china that i put up front in a pinch on trip have held up good. they are a very inexpensive alternative to the TOYOs

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I stuck with dual tires and i am glad i did. having 7 tires on board saved my butt once and gives me confidence while i am in the way out back. the toyos have been good to me and the goldcoins from china that i put up front in a pinch on trip have held up good. they are a very inexpensive alternative to the TOYOs

Thank you sir. I will be in touch when the time comes, for the details.

Its humorous

Computerlanders, that spend more time behind the keyboard than the wheel, be all like "You cant run duals offroad, a rock will get in between the tires, they will explode and you will die"

Dozens of folks i've talked to in Canada and Alaska "Thats cute, we have been running them for decades without issue"

Paging that @mk216v fella... [insert kissyface]

LikeABoss

Observer
I have super singles in 37” and will be too heavy so waiting on matching rear duals for my 4500. I’ll keep the front the same. Then I can swap rear setup in and out depending on payload. There is a cool YouTube channel “dangerous roads” with big dual setups going through all sorts of stuff. Granted, the roads are littered with tires, trucks and parts…. I think that’s mostly due to the terrible condition every vehicle is in.

NVLOC

Observer
Duallies have been used for decades all over the bush in Northern BC and the Yukon for recreation, mining, logging, bush work and outfitting. There's things you have to be aware of like all the equipment we use. They definitely work (and work hard).

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Duallies have been used for decades all over the bush in Northern BC and the Yukon for recreation, mining, logging, bush work and outfitting. There's things you have to be aware of like all the equipment we use. They definitely work (and work hard).

Yes. My thoughts exactly!

Got a lot of those folks that have had a little too much of the "Overland Koolaid" regurgitating bogus info to the point, many people on here think if you leave your driveway and touch dirt with duallies, a sharp rock magically appears between them, explodes your tires and you die.

At least thats what that @mk216v fella rants about, something along those lines

[insert kissyface]

Last edited:

Vance Vanz

Sooooo

Just got back from trip living in the rig for 3 weeks with wifey, here is my two cents of what worked, and what didnt, and what needs adjusting:

First off, HUGE thanks to Transwest in Brighton Colorado. FINALLY, after 3 years, got a real 2 axle, 4 wheel alignment, and the difference is literally night and day.

No one in SoCal would touch this, or knew how to. It took about 2 hours, and $400 and worth every freaking cent!

I got it close with my tape measure redneckery, but they got it dialed in 100% perfectly, and it drives straight as an arrow, can take hands off on the freeway, and it drives perfectly straight!

That and Les Swab in Dacona Colorado for the full balance and rotate.

I removed the Centramatics at their suggestion, and between the full alignment, rotate and REAL balancing, its a different truck, now i actually enjoy driving it.

GUESSING my issue has been the tires were never balanced right from the get go, and with the alignment out, i had been chasing issues that couldnt be fixed without the proper 2 axle alignment. All good now, finally, 3 years later...

GOOD:
ESPAR D2L Furnace with Easy Start Pro Controller: Flawless for 3 years, tested multiple times this trip around 10k elevation, zero issues, i have never cleaned or disassembled it, very happy and impressed
ARB Zero 101 Dual Zone Chest Fridge/Freezer: Flawless for 3 years
Victron Power System: Flawless for 3 years
Houghton AC Unit: Flawless for 3 years, cycling at night a little annoying, but functionality wins here
SeaFlow variable speed water pump: Flawless for 3 years
Keurig Slim Coffee Maker: Flawless for 3 years, 100s of cups brewed (paper compostable pods only are used)
(2) Bullfinch Showerports: Work Flawlessly
REAR Kelderman 4 link and ADS shocks: Absolutely phenomenal
Indoor Hot Water Shower (thanks to @StenchRV design): worked amazing and wifey loves it
Airhead Composting Toilet: Flawless for 3 years and constantly impressed with how well this works, and ZERO stink! Pee bottle is small and emptied almost daily, but the functionality is 100% worth it
Green Drain One Way Valve: Only 1 trip of use, probably 10 showers, and its working as advertised and zero odors, will post longer used update at some point

NEEDS Adjusting:
Isotemp Electric Hot Water Heater/Tank: Has worked perfectly for 2.5 years, but popped the thermo safety circuit breaker at Pikes Peak (14.1k) and the way i installed the unit, it was an absolute ******** to get the cover off to reset the switch. Luckily this was towards end of trip. and only had to take ONE cold shower, HA! I eventually got the cover off, reset the switch, and all is well. Not sure exactly sure why it tripped, but folks sake they've had issues at high elevations, i will monitor this closer, and probably relocate the switch, or the entire tank at some point.
Front End: On the freeway, twisty mountain roads, and gravel roads, the front end is amazing, and handles beautifully! But on rutted washboards, on trails with some potholes the jarring is almost unbearable. I have disconnected the front swaybar for testing, and it completely transforms the truck offroad and it handles rutted washboards and potholes with comfort and ease. I will be looking at options with this and probably either redesigning the whole swaybar thing, or coming up with a set of quick disconnects. Work in progress.
MAXXAIR Vent Fan: Works very well, but motor got VERY loud and squeaky within 2 years, took apart, greased, didnt help. Replaced motor, easy job, dont need to remove assembly, but the $150 for just the motor part wasnt great.
Water Capacity and Tank: I went with a 45 gallon fresh water tank, which i THOUGHT would be more than enough. Now, with the indoor shower for wifey, and having her along more often, it was definitely too small. We shower every other day, and are very conservative with useage, but between drinking water, dishes, and shower, the water goes a lot faster than expected. That and i got a tank WITHOUT baffles, huge mistake, when its full, i can hear AND FEEL the water/weight moving around while i am driving. A custom bigger tank with baffles, is in my future for sure.
Electrical Panels: I mounted these low and right next to the door, so i can operate them from inside or outside the camper. We constantly hit them and knocked them on or off with our shoes, these will be relocated higher, and will use the space they were in for shoes.

The Bad:
SUBFRAME: I have spent a ton of time and money messing with different spring lengths and rates and such and the box still moves WAYY too much, and is much too loud offroad for my liking. This will be addressed soon, and i think at this point, its time to get the pros involved. Who are the pros? At this point, i have no idea, LOL. Stay tuned!
Tern Overland Windows: Although i love the functionality of them, and the ease of install, my overall opinion of them is pretty horrible. We camped in both freezing and scorching temps on this trip, and their insulation properties are horrible compared to the Outbounds. In the extreme heat, with the AC on, the aluminum screen frames get hot to the touch, and you can feel the heat through the reflective screen. In the freezing temps, with the furnace on, the condensation on the frames was noticable, with some water even pooling that needed to be wiped with a towel. These will be replaced with the Outbounds soon!
Tern Overland Euro Door: Also not impressed with the quality or insulation properties. Right before the trip, a spring broke inside, and the fix required taking the entire door apart, and required a specialized spring from Tern. Luckily they got it to me in 2 days, and replacement was easy once the door was apart, but after taking door apart and seeing how small and thin all the springs are, i am not confident in the longevity of the door. Also, in freezing temps with the furnace on, the frame had noticeable condensation. I am doing more research on fitment, but this will likely be replaced with an Outbound door. Although it will be quite an ordeal to replace it i believe it will be worth it in the long run.
Dinette / Seating: I admittedly didnt put all that much time and effort into this, as i very rarely spend time inside the camper when traveling unless i am sleeping. But with the wifey joining, and us hitting some bad weather, we spent a bunch of time inside. We both realized and agreed immediately that the dinette and seating needs a complete redo to be comfortable for any length of time. We will be taking notes from @StenchRV playbook on this remodel for sure. The cushions i got from RecPro are already basically disengrated to the point we were sitting on the wood. So full redesign and redo of seating area is coming soon with MUCH better cushions. Note: its hard to find comfy foam when youre 300lbs+ :)
Table Pedestal: Although the nice pneumatic table pedestal is super stable and stout, it takes up way too much room and the fixed table position got old fast when spending a bunch of time inside. This will be redone, again using the @StenchRV (see a pattern here?) method. :)
Microwave / Convection Oven: This is way too big and takes up way too much space. We use the microwave often, but none of the other features. This unit will be removed and relocated for a much smaller unit.
Gray Tank Electric Dump Valve: Works great, but leaks slowly even when closed, will be replaced with better unit ASAP, and will add some sort of screen filter to prevent possible debris from getting into it
Continental MPT Tires: Still loud as hell after rebalance, still hate them

Overall, VERY VERY happy with how everything is working in the grand scheme of things, and wifey was too. The remodel and adjustments will be fun and i love doing it.

Onward and upward!

Hey Camperthing,

Sorry I'm a little late to the party; I just got back into the country from a vaca.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info (y)(y) . It's alway great to get real world feedback on components and systems, especially when this stuff is a niche market and ain't cheap.

I'm with you on people being hesitant to give honest feedback out of fear for rocking the boat or being seen as the complainer. I have a vendor/contractor that I'm going to throw under the bus on my build thread once I have some time to do so. I was going to let it go, but the amount of adjustments/re-work I'm having to do because of their mistakes/poor attention to detail is adding up and starting to make the blood boil.

There is nothing worse than paying gold plated prices for mediocre results, or even worse, someone screwing up items on your brandy new truck.

Thanks again for the detailed info and keeping this thread alive!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey Camperthing,

Sorry I'm a little late to the party; I just got back into the country from a vaca.

Thanks for taking the time to post this info (y)(y) . It's alway great to get real world feedback on components and systems, especially when this stuff is a niche market and ain't cheap.

I'm with you on people being hesitant to give honest feedback out of fear for rocking the boat or being seen as the complainer. I have a vendor/contractor that I'm going to throw under the bus on my build thread once I have some time to do so. I was going to let it go, but the amount of adjustments/re-work I'm having to do because of their mistakes/poor attention to detail is adding up and starting to make the blood boil.

There is nothing worse than paying gold plated prices for mediocre results, or even worse, someone screwing up items on your brandy new truck.

Thanks again for the detailed info and keeping this thread alive!

Facts

DzlToy

Explorer
Got a new project.... Bucket list truck

That is likely the most robust LandCruiser ever made, with the venerable 70-Series in a close second. I will be following on Mud. Thanks

halo777

Thanks so much for taking the time to document your experience with all this stuff. Your posts and videos have saved me so much time/money/frustration on my own RAM 5500 (gen4) build. Thank you!

I am really interested to see how the front sway bar works out. I am tempted just to disconnect completely and see how it goes for daily driving. My camper build is relatively light, so I know I am way oversprung/overdamped. I am still on the leaf springs in the rear and found a local place that will remove some to soften up the back. I just want to get a bit further in the camper build so I can ballpark the camper weight. My guess is that even when everything is done,, I will still be well under 50% max payload.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Got a new project.... Bucket list truck

Nice vehicle! Are you going to have a thread here as well for the 6 people that still come to EXPO?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior