2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I’ve got 2 random PMs this week asking if the rig was for sale. Both for way more than I’d expect ?

I knew the market was silly, but ********** getting out of hand ?

No, I’m not selling!
Yet anyway.. hahahaha

LJinLA

Observer
I've just finished reading the whole thread for the second time and watching your videos on youtube... WOW!! Beautiful, well-thought-out Truck/Camper and you have provided excellent information to all those interested to do something similar. Thank you for so very nicely documenting all the work you have put into the truck and camper.

I have a couple of questions for you. What exactly is the white material that was placed between the truck's chassis rails and the subframe to buffer the contact points? Was any material at all placed between the bottom of the camper and the subframe? Could you please expand on these two points and, if you could provide additional thoughts on and pictures detailing the method of attachment of camper to subframe to truck, it would be much appreciated!

Are you pleased with the subframe design and camper attachment method and, if not, what would you do differently if you could go back in time?

THANK YOU once again for this very valuable build thread and for your honesty in sharing your true perspectives with others.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I've just finished reading the whole thread for the second time and watching your videos on youtube... WOW!! Beautiful, well-thought-out Truck/Camper and you have provided excellent information to all those interested to do something similar. Thank you for so very nicely documenting all the work you have put into the truck and camper.

I have a couple of questions for you. What exactly is the white material that was placed between the truck's chassis rails and the subframe to buffer the contact points? Was any material at all placed between the bottom of the camper and the subframe? Could you please expand on these two points and, if you could provide additional thoughts on and pictures detailing the method of attachment of camper to subframe to truck, it would be much appreciated!

Are you pleased with the subframe design and camper attachment method and, if not, what would you do differently if you could go back in time?

THANK YOU once again for this very valuable build thread and for your honesty in sharing your true perspectives with others.

Thanks for the kind words.

The white material in between is HDPE.

All the other stuff is detailed in my videos (maybe you missed it? lol).

As for being pleased with the design, attachment method, and what i would do different:
  • Rear bumper should NOT be one piece with the subframe (i place blame on the builder for this, as i brought it up several times). It functionally works fine and is safe, but they should not be one piece.
  • Camper attachment is great, and functions as it should
  • Going back in time, i would of paid more attention to builders design and where he was putting all of the cross supports on the subframe. This has made things quite a pain in the ass routing the furnace, gray water exit, etc... I am very limited on space under there. (I take majority of the blame on this flaw).
Other than that, so far, quite happy with all aspects of it

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Random update since this has been in the back of my mind for awhile.

I'd been running a single 300ah battery (will be for sale soon, PM if interested) and its served me well, but had been looking to add another for awhile, just because... Can never have enough juice!

But i'd been putting it off mainly because i knew better/cheaper options would eventually come to market...

Then i came across Will Prowse videos regarding the EG4 Server Rack batteries, and the quality and price on these is insane and impossible to beat.

A friend just installed (3) in his boat, and when we tested them, all 3 actually exceeded the specs.

Just ordered (2) of these, and will have a total of 800ah now, in a more compact, better mounted setup:

Untitled-1.jpg

Ninelitetrip

I was wondering when someone would do this. Hopefully you do some YT on the install, interested in how you go about it. The price point on these is nearing the point that “5000 cycles and lasts 10 years” to paraphrase really does not does not seem to matter as much. Replace and recycle as needed.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I was wondering when someone would do this. Hopefully you do some YT on the install, interested in how you go about it. The price point on these is nearing the point that “5000 cycles and lasts 10 years” to paraphrase really does not does not seem to matter as much. Replace and recycle as needed.

Thanks.

Yeah, will document for sure. The way my friend did it on his boat was slick, just like a computer network cabinet. I’ll try to snap a pic next time I’m over there.

will take up a similar “footprint” as my single 300ah since I can stack these.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sometimes you're pretty clever buddy. But only sometimes.

Magical Things can happen when people ignore the regurgitated out of date tech via Instagram and the Overland Marketing Machine and go into every aspect of their build with an open mind thinking what’s the best way to do X, Y, and or Z ?

Wait until you see the next trick I have up my sleeve sir ?

#shavedtiresdontmatter

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Those are a great option. I saw them..... Maybe if I can get over my cold charging fears.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I normally dismiss the cold charging issues most claim to worry about but seeing how often you are actually legitimately camping in sub zero stuff, you get a pass! ?

However, these do seem a lot easier to setup with a small heating pad than the others

java

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I normally dismiss the cold charging issues most claim to worry about but seeing how often you are actually legitimately camping in sub zero stuff, you get a pass!

However, these do seem a lot easier to setup with a small heating pad than the others
Yes I have a small pad on my AGM too. It's set to turn on at 38 or 40 I think.... But the agm have not been liking the cold either

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears