2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

Wyuna

Observer
It’s great to see some baffles, it’s amazing how many people don’t understand the benefit of them.

i like the slot and tab concept for the baffle plates, makes fitting them a lot easier, looking forwards to seeing the finished tank

Alloy

Things are happening….

Gray water tank progress

View attachment 774213

View attachment 774214

I'd be worried the aluminum isn't strong enough. Why didn't you use 3/8" :)

Pay close attention to those locator slots for the baffles. Short one sided (plug) welds are prone to leaks. The oxidization from plasma cutting makes it worse.

When I test tanks first is an air bubble test at 4-6psi then water test with 8' (hose) of head pressure for 24hours. The water will find leaks that that can't be seen with air.

Edit: Those cutout at the bottom corners of the baffles are way to small. You want as much turbulance as possible to keep stuff from settling out.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
It’s great to see some baffles, it’s amazing how many people don’t understand the benefit of them.

i like the slot and tab concept for the baffle plates, makes fitting them a lot easier, looking forwards to seeing the finished tank

Yes. agree 100%

The one LARGE mistake i made with this build is not getting baffles in my 46 gallon fresh water tank.

I can hear AND feel it sloshing around in the cab when offroading.

Agree on the slot and tab fitment stuff.

Still amazed how easily pro fabricators can take someones (me) crazy idea basically drawn on an etch a sketch and make it a reality so easily

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Now that their website is redone, i figured i needed to post a link.

Known Ian over a decade and he is my goto for anything Suspension related, or crazy custom fab.

Good friend of mine and this is who is doing the gray tank. Hes about an hour from me in San Diego

They are now accepting custom orders for tanks and such, aluminum or stainless.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@RAM5500 CAMPERTHING - I would be interested in hearing your opinion on the new AEV Prospector 5500 cab chassis. It appears that AEV has teamed up with Bliss Mobil out of the Netherlands. Your thoughts?

View attachment 774919

View attachment 774922

Not sure if you’re serious or if you’re joking with me.

You already know my opinion of AEV stuff

As per their M.O. they give very few details about what it actually is, instead just some buzz words.

Rumor has it, it’s AEVs typical stuff, uses all the stock springs, slight shock upgrade fender flares that don’t fit so they add cheesy lawn trimming, and some bracketry for steering

All for the ungodly price of 1 arm, and 2 legs

Just guessing here, because as is typically them, they market their product with very few details released which is how they’ve always done things.

Why? No idea.. Maybe their fan boys don’t care what it actually is, as long as they have the sticker.

I dunno ??‍♂️

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Using a solenoid wired to the upfitter switches to be able to dump gray water at the push of a button.

Also added a fail safe standard drain valve in case solenoid fails.

Both mounted on the inside bottom edge of tank so nothing is hanging below it.

More pics coming, super happy with how this came out.

Bravo to www.wheeleveryweekend.com and team

Tank is made of 3/8" bottom plate. and 1/4" everywhere else. BEEFCAKE

solenoid_forum.jpg

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Oh, one project is close to done?

Might as well start another...

Good friend was sick of looking at this, and gave it to me to "do something with"

Been sitting on a ranch 5+ years, frame is mint, body is toast, but somehow it runs and drives decent..

Gonna be a fun project, wanted one of these since i was little.

As for what direction, i am going to go with it... Not a clue yet.

Let the games begin:

sammy_06042023.jpg

danneskjold

Oh, one project is close to done?

Might as well start another...

Good friend was sick of looking at this, and gave it to me to "do something with"

Been sitting on a ranch 5+ years, frame is mint, body is toast, but somehow it runs and drives decent..

Gonna be a fun project, wanted one of these since i was little.

As for what direction, i am going to go with it... Not a clue yet.

Let the games begin:

View attachment 781419

I want to see a photo of you getting in the Samurai! Will you need a bigger camp spot for Expo next year? :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears