2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Late in the week before last week, I finished up my adventure on Virginia's Eastern Shore and actually jumped over the state line into Maryland for some time. There I visited Stockton, Pokomoke City, Deal Island, Crisfield, etc. This was an interesting part of Maryland and I plan to return someday to spend more time and really dive into Assateague Island National Seashore.

While in Virginia I stopped in for lunch as a former church now called El Crucero. It was take out only so I popped my top and ate food that I had never heard of before. My meal was great and if you enjoy home cooked food this is a great place.
image000000(35).jpg

This is a photo taken at a boat launch at Saxis Wildlife Management Area looking out over Messongo Creek. While driving out on the wooden dock I smiled and considered what an amazing picture it would be if I made a mistake of if the structure collapsed. This was yet another area where it was so peaceful and quiet I took time to enjoy an afternoon nap.
image000000(34).jpg

A fellow adventurer that I have spent time traveling with suggested that I spend some time exploring the Deal Island area in Maryland. As I will nearing town I came across this unexpected gem; Deal Island Wildlife Management Area. The road lead you out into salt marsh areas where the water level is sometimes just inches below the road. In a single word - beautiful.
image000000(39).jpg

I spent time with some watermen at Deal Island, Maryland. Many good guys who were hard working and doing their best to keep a tradition alive despite being paid so little. Arby's Dockside Bar and Grill's motto is, "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."
image000000(40).jpg

I zipped back over to Shelly Bay which is nestled between Chincogteague and Wallops Islands. The sounds of the night included Navy E-2D Advanced Hawkeye's conducting touch-and-go operations. It was not even a year ago that we lost an E-2D in the area which claimed the life of a young Lieutenant.
image000000(32).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

A boat off Main Street on Chincoteague Island, Virginia.
image000000(1).jpg

Preparing for a restful night on graven Point on Virginia's Eastern Shore. If you take time and search there are so many wonderful places to spend a night listening to wind, waves, and waterfowl.
image000000(2).jpg

Scouting out future places to stop and relax during future adventures. This is Burton's Shore Beach. The sand felt soft so I backed up towards the water with a large tree approximately 80' off my nose just in case I required use of my Warn 16.5ti.
image000000(3).jpg

Here is the capstone of my adventures on Virginia's Eastern Shore - observing the Rocket Lab Electron launch from 1.5 miles away. Most of us arrived three hours ahead of the launch and vehicles were parked pointing "out" just in case there was an event which required immediate evacuation. The lunch took place precisely at 1800 EST and I made not effort to take a picture - I just watched and smiled. As the rocket arced away towards the east it crested Orion and moments later we watched main engine cut off (MECO). The second stage lit and everyone cheered. It was a cold night and everyone left with the exception of one other adventurer. I slept just a few feet from the water once again and smiled as I drifted off...
image000000(4).jpg

ramblinChet

My AEV Prospector has covered many miles over the past few weeks and I am happy to confirm that she continues to drive like an absolute dream. I have been driving lifted and modified vehicles since the early 90s and simply put - there is no comparison. Really, this handles and drives like stock in every scenario.

Following the launch at NASA Wallops in Virginia I turned my ship south and began heading to Florida to attend the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. I spoke with the owner of a team who provided me the necessary credentials. Here is a publicity shot taken by Jordan Lenssen/AWA:
AWA.jpg

If you have never attended the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and you have an interest in machines, I would encourage to attend. And make sure to remain on track and enjoy the full 24-hours. There is something magical when the sun begins to rise and you realize teams have been racing non-stop for sixteen hours and there are still eight remaining.
image000000(1).jpg

Shot in the pits prior to the race:
image000000(2).jpg

Shot in the pits during practice:
image000000(3).jpg

Shot in the pits during the race:
image000000(4).jpg

Shot in the pits during the race:
image000000(5).jpg

Here is an inside shot of my FWC just before falling asleep after being awake for thirty-plus hours. Extended bed is larger than a king and I often place a Woolrich wool blanket down for some additional comfort and insulation.
image000000.jpg

Enjoying breakfast across from Daytona International Speedway the next morning. My AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Pop-Up Camper combination is great since I can travel anywhere and never need to worry about reservations.
image000000(6).jpg

wild1

Adventurer
Yeah, that value works perfect for me since my FWC Grandby plus gear should add 2,000-2,250 so the truck will ride and drive just fine.

Well thanks, it was odd even beginning to consider a regular cab and long bed but it is the optimum layout for my purpose. It feels like most every single truck felt like several decades ago and I like it.
I really like the way you have set up your truck and camper. I have a 2018 3500 crew cab short box tradesman with a Cummings. My Northern Lite camper and all of our gear for extended trips puts us close to our 4000 pound gvwr and relegates us to mainly maintained gravel roads. I am curious if you feel like your setup raises the bar significantly on the type of unimproved 4x4 roads that you would attempt. I would think that the 2000 pound reduction in weight and the lower center of gravity would be a game changer, but how much does it really help. For comparison, my other camper setup is a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with a Go Fast camper. For me my rigs kind of define the extremes of off pavement overland type vehicles. It sounds like you have been at this for a while so I would really appreciate your thoughts on where a lightly loaded full size like your truck fits on this scale.

wild1

Adventurer
I really like the way you have set up your truck and camper. I have a 2018 3500 crew cab short box tradesman with a Cummings. My Northern Lite camper and all of our gear for extended trips puts us close to our 4000 pound gvwr and relegates us to mainly maintained gravel roads. I am curious if you feel like your setup raises the bar significantly on the type of unimproved 4x4 roads that you would attempt. I would think that the 2000 pound reduction in weight and the lower center of gravity would be a game changer, but how much does it really help. For comparison, my other camper setup is a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with a Go Fast camper. For me my rigs kind of define the extremes of off pavement overland type vehicles. It sounds like you have been at this for a while so I would really appreciate your thoughts on where a lightly loaded full size like your truck fits on this scale.
I should have said 11,850 gvwr with 4000 pounds of capacity.?

ramblinChet

Thank you @wild1 - I have been wheeling Jeeps since the early 90s so I have learned the value of weight reduction and its impact while exploring. The main point I would make is it really depends on what you are planning to attempt and for me and my truck, 99.9% of all miles traveled are on paved, dirt, gravel, sand, etc. with moderate climbs and descents. On flat land, even on "high clearance 4x4" roads as identified on most maps, I would imagine you should be okay provided you take it slow and easy. If you do plan to tackle some tougher trails I would make sure to mount a 15k winch and carry a snatch block. I see some advantage to you lightening your load but it just will not be a night-and day difference between our two rigs. On a climb or descent I may have a bit of an advantage but not that much.

If you want to experience the true impact of weight pick up an older Suzuki Samurai and fit it with some 31" tires and lockers. It will amaze you what a vehicle that light is capable of. My truck has a GVWR of 11,000 pounds and my fully loaded weight on a scale was 8,660 pounds last time I checked. The way my vehicle is set up now I can easily travel 99% of the places I desire with ease. My Jeep is at home and if I really wish to push the limits she is always ready. As you know, it's a balancing act and forfeiting wonderful comforts to be able to conquer those 0.01% of miles during my travels is just not worth the expense.

Post a pic or provide a link to your rig - I would love to see it!

ramblinChet

Major upgrade completed - I now have weather resistant locks for my Wavian fuel cans. I selected Materlock M115XTRILF Laminated Padlocks and expect them to be fine.
image000000(8).jpg

The locks are sold with three to a set using all the same key. Here is a shot of one installed on one of the cans. Two for the cans and the third for locking down the Maxtrax once I mount them. BTW - I was joking regarding the major upgrade. It took longer for me to pick them out than it did to install them :)
image000000(7).jpg

This is the most patient Prospector owner ever - still waiting for the shop to finish his truck. Look at that full-floater rear end though!
image000000(17).jpg

Here is a unique overland rig owned by a man from Germany who I met in Daytona. It is so tiny yet so very well laid out inside - it has everything including a diesel engine. We had a great talk and shared stories and laughs. We may cross paths again.
image000000(9).jpg

Check out how he mounted the heavy motorcycle low while also positioning the two lighter bicycles up high taking advantage of the free vertical space. This is a custom mount that he designed and built - how innovative.
image000000(10).jpg

Speaking of Daytona, I stopped in to have my vehicle service at Daytona Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM. Inside the showroom they have several MOPAR muscle cars and it was nice to see a Dodge Daytona while in Daytona. The service was good and it was nice to check out the beautifully restored muscle cars while waiting on my rig.
image000000(16).jpg

And here is another upgrade I made to the FWC - a Bose SoundLink Flex Bluetooth speaker. I spend much time in the camper and this unit sounds wonderful. Human voice is great and music can be played at a moderate volume. It's really nice and designed for outdoor environments.

"Rigorously tested to meet an IP67 rating, SoundLink Flex is waterproof and dustproof inside and out. Dunk it in water, and it’ll keep on playing. It even floats. The speaker is also protected against dust, so you don’t need to worry if it gets sandy at the beach."
image000000(15).jpg

If you are an overlander exploring Florida, you must check out Huntington Ranch. This is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have ever camped at and Michael is a salt-of-the-earth man.
image000000(13).jpg

The ranch is an active 600-acre cattle ranch and essentially you have it all to yourself. I slept so very well and enjoyed a nice hike in the fresh clean air the next morning. Yeah, walking for a few miles in barefeet I was attacked by chiggers and the occasional sand bur but this is Florida and it was easily worth it.
image000000(14).jpg

Oh, did I mention you have a beautiful private dock a few feet from your camp where you can enjoy watching the sun go to sleep? This is one of those places that seems to be too good to be true but consider Michael is an experienced overlander just looking to give back to our community. Enjoy!
image000000(11).jpg

Last edited:

wild1

Adventurer
Thank you @wild1 - I have been wheeling Jeeps since the early 90s so I have learned the value of weight reduction and its impact while exploring. The main point I would make is it really depends on what you are planning to attempt and for me and my truck, 99.9% of all miles traveled are on paved, dirt, gravel, sand, etc. with moderate climbs and descents. On flat land, even on "high clearance 4x4" roads as identified on most maps, I would imagine you should be okay provided you take it slow and easy. If you do plan to tackle some tougher trails I would make sure to mount a 15k winch and carry a snatch block. I see some advantage to you lightening your load but it just will not be a night-and day difference between our two rigs. On a climb or descent I may have a bit of an advantage but not that much.

If you want to experience the true impact of weight pick up an older Suzuki Samurai and fit it with some 31" tires and lockers. It will amaze you what a vehicle that light is capable of. My truck has a GVWR of 11,000 pounds and my fully loaded weight on a scale was 8,660 pounds last time I checked. The way my vehicle is set up now I can easily travel 99% of the places I desire with ease. My Jeep is at home and if I really wish to push the limits she is always ready. As you know, it's a balancing act and forfeiting wonderful comforts to be able to conquer those 0.01% of miles during my travels is just not worth the expense.

Post a pic or provide a link to your rig - I would love to see it!
Thanks for your reply, my wife is really happy with the big truck and camper and was lukewarm to the idea of getting a significantly smaller one. We have the Gladiator that can do it all but is very basic when it comes to multi month trips like we just finished. I think that they are about as close as I am going to get to the elusive do it all rig for now.B0A2EF0F-D684-4EEA-9F8E-6CFF092EF007.jpegB0A2EF0F-D684-4EEA-9F8E-6CFF092EF007.jpegB0A2EF0F-D684-4EEA-9F8E-6CFF092EF007.jpeg08D73F7D-3344-4509-A26C-784F781AEAF3.jpeg

ramblinChet

Saint Augustine, Florida, is a location I have visited a few times and I always love to go back. It is an interesting city with much history to explore and is technically the oldest city in these United States since it was settles by the Spanish prior to the English establishing a permanent colony in Jamestown, Virginia. There are miles of beaches to drive on although you are limited mostly to one-way traffic on soft sand.
image000000(19).jpg

Beauty, grace, swiftness, and strength.
image000000(20).jpg

Near Saint Augustine is Matanzas State Forest which I spent a few days exploring.
image000000(22).jpg

There is a remote campground in the forest although it only has four spaces with a central location having non-potable water and a portable toilet. It was a quiet and peaceful location and nice for a night or two.
image000000(21).jpg

Driving inland I came upon some Texas Longhorn at the Bull's Hit Ranch and Farm in Florida's Potato Capital. It turns out this location has some interesting history.
image000000(23).jpg

Continuing westward deep into Ocala National Forest I happened upon a few other adventurers. What was interesting was that we all had Heavy Duty RAMs and pop-up campers. From L-to-R we have a late model Power Wagon with a Palomino up top, in the middle is a 2006 driven by a 5.9 liter 24-valve Cummins diesel complete with a Norweld tray bed and FWC Grandby Flatbed. And then there's my AEV Prospector.
image000000(24).jpg

Here we are camping together at a secret location near Hopkins Prairie Campground deep in the Ocala National Forest. To say we had a great time would be an understatement. Paul invited me to attend Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo which takes place 03-05 March in Starke, Florida. Adam and Heather continued south after several days and we expect to cross paths again, somewhere.
image000000(25).jpg

ramblinChet

We rolled into camp late at night just south of Lake Ocklawaha in ATV country. Things look very different at night when you have tunnel vision as a result of your headlights and depth perception is degraded at night. Because of this, the forest appeared crowded and we though we were squeezing into a tight spot. Backing up and repositioning vehicles was slow and methodical. When we woke up in the morning we laughed - it was like we were in a field with a sprinkling of trees. Too much lighting is never enough.
image000000(29).jpg

This was a fun shot on a hot and sunny day. We jumped into a freshwater spring which is approximately 74° F to cool off and clean up. It is important to keep clean while adventuring and even washing the critical components with baby wipes daily begins pushing the limits after five or so days. While taking this shot with my phone I was on my knees in slime in the water. Just minutes earlier in the same area we saw fish and a snapping turtle. Of course, there is always the though of alligators since this is a humid subtropical climate. In real life this was a beautiful scene and I really enjoyed watching this bird hunting...while possible being hunted myself.
image000000(28).jpg

The morning sun on Hopkins Prairie in the Ocala National Forest. I wish I was able to say early morning but when you travel life slows down. Yes, I wake up early although many times I fall back asleep for a quick nap. I wake up much like a fall asleep...slowly and relaxed. Nowhere to be, just taking my time to enjoy life and the wonderful world we live in. From the bottom of my heart and soul, I consider myself a blessed man to have this opportunity.
image000000(27).jpg

Here is a picture that didn't turn out as expected but I will post it anyway. Since I have time I have begun experimenting with different forms of photography. In this shot you are able to not only see the movement of the stars but also you can see how the trees moved slightly a few times and appear to be blurred also. Hey, it's a learning experience and you are along for the ride.
image000000(26).jpg

This was an interesting day. We traveled down to explore the southern part of Ocala National Forest and had previously identified two campgrounds that were listed as free and dispersed. Well, we had a really tough time locating the first since it had been abandoned around seven years ago. I actually found it and was able to drive back in. It was kinda spooky seeing all the deteriorated man-made objects and overgrown areas. The second site was much the same. We pulled into this third site and met a few locals who had been staying there for an extended period. My partner didn't feel too cool with the situation so he left and I was just tired of driving all day so I elected to stay. It was a quiet night and all went well.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." ~ Gen. James Mattis
image000000(30).jpg

While adventuring and exploring you meet many people in different places. Most of my time is spent alone although there are times when paths cross and an interesting form of friendship occurs. John Paul has been hanging around me for a week or so now and our friendship has blossomed into a sort of bromance. Hahaha, in all seriousness, it's cool to bump into cool folks show share similar thoughts on life and living. Talking with people who are 9-5 slaves is tough since they understand parts of what you are sharing with them but as smart as they are and as hard as they try, they just are not able to comprehend the full depth and clarity of what you are trying to share with them. If you are still reading this, you are being given a secret message...it is time for you to escape the matrix!
image000000(35).jpg

Here is a Power Wagon that actually benefits from King Coil-overs. The pilot of this rig has invited me to join him this November in Baja, Mexico for fun and festivities. Rule number one in overlanding - never refuse an invitation. We spent many nights around campfires sharing stories and Michael's were super cool. My schedule for this year has me in the western part of these United States so six weeks in Baja, Mexico fits in perfectly.
image000000(32).jpg

Here is my buddy John Paul from Massachusetts. Hey Pauli, go pahk the cah in Haahvahd Yahd! He is a really cool dude and I will be sharing some videos of his in the near future once he gets around to editing them.
image000000(31).jpg

Back on the private 600-acre cattle ranch with a 120-acre private lake to enjoy. It was really nice to spend the better part of a week as down time just relaxing and not worrying about where to go or what to do. just relaxing, eating t-bone steaks that were eating grass and mooing just a few days earlier. No signs of alligators in this water so being able to jump in and clean up every day was truly wonderful. In my opinion, the three most valuable experiences that add up to enjoyable overlanding are comfortable place to sleep, reliable refrigeration, and the ability to take a shower.
image000000(34).jpg

Bad news, John Paul and I broke up. He didn't send me an official break-up text but I know it over. Horsey-girl caught his eye plus she has horses, dogs, and a cat and Pauli loves cats. Just kidding - we are going different ways and exploring different areas in Florida although we are planning to meet up again soon at Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo in Starke, Florida from 03-05 March. This was a section in Tiger Bay State Forest that I explored yesterday. Heading into Daytona for the weekend looking for tickets for the Daytona 500. Already saw the Indy 500 just a few years ago so I might as well knock this one down also since I am in the area.
image000000(36).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Let's start off this update with a beautiful picture taken by my buddy Paul, so we can end it with an ugly picture shot by yours-truly. This is an early morning sun-rise at a remote location near Hopkins Prairie a week or so ago - just a wonderful place in the middle of Ocala National Forest. Most of the forest is comprised of straight hard-pack sandy roads running north-south or east-west. There are still a few nice places so don't hesitate to stop if you are nearby.
image000000(44).jpg

Yes, I scored a ticket and made it to the 2023 Daytona 500. Here are the Air Force Thunderbirds putting on a nice show with the Goodyear blimp in the background. I arrived at the track on Saturday and began searching for tickets - my first attempt was through the DIS recommended SeatGeek but that turned out to be a no-go. At first my bank stopped payment and after they contacted me and cleared that up I called SeatGeek and attempted to work a purchase with them. No joy. After taking with a few gentlemen about tickets for Sunday's race they recommended I move close to the track, avoid the local inner-city hustlers, and ask actual fans if the had an extra ticket. As my luck would have it I happened upon a fine man who had been to every Daytona 500 over the past half-century and he had one extra ticket. I paid face value, received a hard ticket, and spent the race smiling and listening to his stories. To say I was blessed once again is an understatement.
image000000(38).jpg

Here is during the middle of the race after the sun dropped. It was almost like two different races with one set of tactics for the drivers while the sun was up and then another once it dropped. My seat was in the section 335 roughly between turn four and start-finish line. This was great since most of the action takes place in turn four just before the final dash to the line. We were also right in front of pit-in which was exciting since dozens of cars are rushing in simultaniously slamming on the brakes. Let me tell you, during the last ten laps all hell broke loose and no one was holding back. It was a fun race and a perfect time to be in Florida with approximately 175,000 other race fans.
image000000(39).jpg

After spending the weekend in Daytona I headed south into Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge just north of Kennedy Space Center. The side roads are very white and appear to be crushed oyster shells.
image000000(40).jpg

Discovered a number of nice spots near the water in Merritt Island NWR. Crossed paths with a small number of fishermen in addition to a few canoes on the water. One of these days I will add a small kayak to my rig, possibly a small folding one from Oru Kayak since they seem to be the best for my application.
image000000(41).jpg

I came upon a sign that said it was a Manatee viewing area so I pulled over and watched the sea-cows roll around and play in the water. They are funny creatures and it was fun watching the young ones cuddle their mother and such. Interestingly enough, per the Manatee Sanctuary Act, some interactions with Manatees can land you in jail and/or with a stiff fine.
image000000(43).jpg

Wow, I stumble upon some beautiful places and here is one overlooking Indian River. The steady warm breeze and the sounds of the small waves breaking convinced me to sleep here another night.
image000000(42).jpg

Left a girl in West Virginia, up there where that green grass grows, yes I did. Got a girl in Cincinnati waitin' where the Ohio River flows. Oh, girl, I'm a ramblin' man. Don't give your heart to a ramblin' man.
image000000(37).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Here is a picture of me sleeping on the edge of the earth following a recent Flat Earth Society meeting - just kidding! What is interesting is that the name of this lake in Florida is Dream Lake.
image000000(47).jpg

Since I was near Orlando I made it a point to stop in and visit Randall Made Knives. If you place an order today you can expect delivery sometime in 2029 - they have always had a long backlog but are entirely worth it. I own several and my late father owned 3-4 times what I have. If you still think are scratching your heading and wondering why anyone would wait over a half-decade for an expensive knive then read a bit of their history which spans multiple wars, the birth of spaceflight, hunting, fishing, etc. While on site I met both brothers and toured the home and museum. Every man deserves a great knife.
image000000(46).jpg

Some sections in the Withlacoochee State Forest were soft and sandy but all that I encountered were driveable in two-wheel drive.
image000000(48).jpg

Believe it or not I actually completed this section in two-wheel drive without spinning a wheel. Of course, there was a go-around, but I wanted to test my skills so I jumped out of the rig and performed some reconnaissance of the area. Taking a few minutes to check the conditions in the area can help mitigate risk while reducing potential impact if things go south.
image000000(49).jpg

In this instance it boiled down to picking the correct line. The channels were very soft, muddy, and slick while the high areas were drier and somewhat firm. Of course, the front or rear end could have slipped into one of these channels and with all terrain tires even four-wheel drive may not have been enough to save me. That is why I made sure there were multiple winch points easily within reach of my winch, just in case. It's fun to practice scenarios like this when you have time and options since I believe off-road skills are something that requires constant practice.
image000000(50).jpg

Free showers in the forest are always a great find especially on a hot and sunny afternoon. This bike wash also had shower heads installed so I jumped out in my swim trunks and enjoyed a cool and refreshing shower. Lots of cool water and standing on cement compared to limited water and standing on sand or dirt, win-win in my book!
image000000(51).jpg

I woke up to the sounds of shore birds squawking and fishermen launching boats here at Fort Island Beach on Florida's Gulf Coast. Do I plan on visiting again? You betcha! There is just so much to see and do but I have a few events that I am scheduled to attend plus I am just looking for a long list of reasons to visit. If you have never been down to Florida in February then you should make plans - it's a perfect time of the year.
image000000(53).jpg

While on Fort Island Beach the one afternoon, I heard the rhythmic beat of drums some distance away. Walking on the beach is good exercise so I wandered down to find a drum circle with approximately one-hundred people present and most all participating. For hours-and-hours the ensemble played and experimented with different beats and sounds. It was quite nice and relaxing watching a random group of strangers play music while children and adults danced in the center with everyone smiling. For many hours, no one cared what else was going on elsewhere...it felt good.
image000000(54).jpg

One night I pulled into Ozello Community Park after dark and I was one of three vehicles present. Early the next morning I counted nearly fifty vehicles all around - this place is a hot spot for kayaks and boats which is awesome! I performed some additional research and discovered I was right in the middle of Saint Martin's Marsh Aquatic Preserve so this is yet another reason I need to put down the money and add an Oru Kayak to my equipment list.
image000000(55).jpg

And finally, I spent a very peaceful evening near Yankeetown, Florida, on a small pond with just enough room for one vehicle. It was fun sitting in my rear door with my feet on the bumper watching small sand crabs digging holes in the sand by rolling balls of sand together and then pushing them up and out of the hole. The only sounds for hours were the soft winds and fish jumping out of the water.
image000000(56).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Here is a short video that includes myself and my rig in it for you to enjoy. All credit goes to Paul who is another adventurer from Massachusetts that I met in Ocala National Forest and wheeled with off-and-on over the period of several weeks. It was really impressive to watch him plan the shoot and position his drone to collect footage. I was not able to watch him edit and compose the story although I can confirm he did all work in his camper, out in the forest, on his laptop. Very impressive results so take a look and enjoy!

ramblinChet

After leaving Yankeetown, Florida, I headed up to Cedar Key which is an island city. The primary reason I stopped was because the men I flew and jumped with had an informal reunion there seven-or-so years ago. Cedar Key is a quiet, out-of-the-way place, where you can really slow down and relax. One of our most poignant discussions centered around the brutal killing of Lee Mirecki during ARSS training.
image000000(59).jpg

Am I camping on the edge of the world again or was this at Horseshoe Beach in Florida? For $10 I enjoyed the company of fellow adventurers at a county campground and more importantly, I took two very long showers. It's nice to meet up and share laughs and stories with other like-minded folks.
image000000(61).jpg

Early morning at Southeast Adventure Vehicle Expo in Starke, Florida. With the exceptions of being sandblasted and scorched on Friday and then soaked on Saturday, we all had a blast. There were fifty or so vendors and manufacturers, hundreds of campers, and thousands of visitors. Not as small as mid-Atlantic Overland Expo but not as large as Overland Expo East - it was really a great event at a perfect time in Florida. I will attend again for sure!
image000000(62).jpg

Here is one amazing vehicle I came upon at the event designed, built, and driven, by @nomadventures360, who you can follow on Instagram. I spent a few hours checking out the vehicle and listening to stories of why and why not. Tons of custom work and all done to perfection.
image000000(60).jpg

One of the countless springs in Florida. If I provided the name it would not matter much since they are all beautiful and crystal clear.
image000000(65).jpg

Warp speed, or 100 km/h for me, over to...Texas! More specifically, Mustang Island on the Gulf or Mexico. There is so much to love in Texas, especially driving for miles on beaches and camping overnight. The night before I slept under a full moon and once again was rocked and sung to sleep by the wind and waves.
image000000(67).jpg

During my stay on Mustang Island I enjoyed watching thousands of brown pelicans fly by while migrating north. It was wave-after-wave of dozens and sometimes hundreds. What was really cool was watching them glide, then the first would begin to flap it's wings, then the next, and the next, etc. Then turn a bit, and glide...it was silent and beautiful to watch.
image000000(64).jpg

My destination for an undetermined length of time is Boca Chica. Texas. Better known as SpaceX Starbase. In one of my previous posts I may have mentioned that a decade or so ago I worked at NASA LaRC, in Virginia. So yeah, I am a bit of a space geek, and since it's warm down here, and there are beaches, and massive rockets, count me in. BTW - that's Super Heavy Booster 7 (B7) sitting on the Orbital Launch Mount (OLM).
image000000(69).jpg

Can anyone spot Starship 15 (SN15) in this mug shot? Here is a video of a test flight for SN15. Once they stack the ship on top of a super heavy booster and launch the entire vehicle, it will be earthshaking, and I intend to stand there and watch. If you would like to watch SN8 blow up, here is an earlier video for you to enjoy.
image000000(66).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears