2022 Hilux Single Cab Build

zolo

Explorer
I haven't posted here in a very long time. But I thought you die hard Toyota fans would appreciate this new project of mine.
I picked up a new 2022 Hilux 2.4 Turbo Diesel, 6spd manual trans with 4wd and factory E-locker last week.
As you can see its a single cab, not super common but not rare either. I bought this truck in particular because I wanted to be able to haul two adventure motos in the back with the tail gate closed, something I could never do with a 4 door short bed model.
Today after only 1400km and one week of ownership since I drove it off the dealer lot I started with the basics.
Full Old Man Emu Kit. Shocks and Springs all around with greaseable shackles for the new leaf's.
Front springs are 2885s with one trim packer.
I painted the stock steel wheels to color match the truck and then mounted 235-80R17 DuraTracs on it.

I think it turned out awesome, better than I expected. Trucks drives great with these tires and I haven't noticed any power being robbed from the larger tires, which are very modest anyways. The truck makes 150HP and 300 ft lbs of torque.
First photo is the truck completely stock and then how well it turned out.
Up next its getting a Safari Snorkel and a rear receiver hitch. That's about it.
Cheers!
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 3.03.21 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 11.34.54 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 11.34.55 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 3.19.02 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 3.19.03 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 3.50.40 PM.jpeg

zolo

Explorer
Awesome - 10/10, probably one of the coolest trucks I've seen on this website in the last 5+ years, simple, non-nonsense.....
Well dang, Thank you! I was really happy with the result with just a few basic modifications using quality parts.

zolo

Explorer
Such a beautiful truck- would you trade for an F150?? ?
You know its funny, Besides from needing the long bed, and it being the only option really. I did start looking at payload capacity and this Hilux has 940 Kilo Payload. Right there with all the full size trucks in the 150/1500 range. Dwarfing the Tacoma by a lot as well. Over all its a really cool truck.

zolo

Explorer
I've been wanting a single cab lately for work and daily driving. That looks awesome.
Do it! I had a single cab Tacoma when I was back in the states and it was a fun truck as well, not nearly as heavy duty as this Hilux but fun non the less.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yet another truck the EPA has deemed evil in the US.
My anti diesel friend changed his tune after driving a Hilux diesel in Nicaragua. He couldn't believe how quiet and powerful it was. No smoke.
He's sold but it doesn't help as we can't get them.

zolo

Explorer
My anti diesel friend changed his tune after driving a Hilux diesel in Nicaragua. He couldn't believe how quiet and powerful it was. No smoke.
Yeah, Who the hell knows what the reason for not allowing the small diesel pick up truck. This thing is getting 30MPG right now with 32s. I was getting over 700KM to the tank on the hwy. My old 4 banger gas Tacoma couldn't touch that on a down hill with a tail wind.

nickw

Adventurer
I'd be happy with a gas engine too in that platform, the ones they used to put in the Tacomas here stateside were the same ones all the oversease Petrol Hilux's got.

zolo

Explorer
I'd be happy with a gas engine too in that platform, the ones they used to put in the Tacomas here stateside were the same ones all the oversease Petrol Hilux's got.
I had the 2.7 gas engine in my old single cab Tacoma and it was a good engine but no way could it have held the same payload this Hilux has. The other big difference is the bed length, which is why I fabricated a flat bed for my Tacoma. Toyota USA has a very focused design strategy.Screenshot_20220412-083013.png

nickw

Adventurer
I had the 2.7 gas engine in my old single cab Tacoma and it was a good engine but no way could it have held the same payload this Hilux has. The other big difference is the bed length, which is why I fabricated a flat bed for my Tacoma. Toyota USA has a very focused design strategy.View attachment 716790
In the Hilux platform the 2.7 2TR-FE (as far as I know) had the same if not more payload capacity vs the Diesels, it's a lighter engine which typically adds to verall payload.

My dream a few years back was to purchase a std. cab tacoma, 2.7, 5 sp, slight stretch of the frame and drop one of these on: https://www.hardbody4x4.com/4501-1965-1978-fj45-long-box--tailgate.html

1649777725537.png

zolo

Explorer
In the Hilux platform the 2.7 2TR-FE (as far as I know) had the same if not more payload capacity vs the Diesels, it's a lighter engine which typically adds to verall payload.

My dream a few years back was to purchase a std. cab tacoma, 2.7, 5 sp, slight stretch of the frame and drop one of these on: https://www.hardbody4x4.com/4501-1965-1978-fj45-long-box--tailgate.html

Its possible but I doubt it, here in Chile at least they don't even offer the reg cab long box with a gas engine, and I doubt the 2.7 could handle 1000 kilo payload in terms of torque. The highest payload truck available is the one I bough. The 4 door HIlux model has the 2.7 option but the pay load is much lower, still higher than a Tacoma though. When I was done with my Tacoma build it was a struggle to get up hills, the rear drive shaft had slip join spline failures and the truck over all was not up to the task of weight ALL the time. Even with lower gears the over all design of the rear suspension and frame etc were all pretty light duty.

Still a cool truck though, I wish Toyota still offered the Tacoma in a reg cab.

nickw

Adventurer
Its possible but I doubt it, here in Chile at least they don't even offer the reg cab long box with a gas engine, and I doubt the 2.7 could handle 1000 kilo payload in terms of torque. The highest payload truck available is the one I bough. The 4 door HIlux model has the 2.7 option but the pay load is much lower, still higher than a Tacoma though. When I was done with my Tacoma build it was a struggle to get up hills, the rear drive shaft had slip join spline failures and the truck over all was not up to the task of weight ALL the time. Even with lower gears the over all design of the rear suspension and frame etc were all pretty light duty.

Still a cool truck though, I wish Toyota still offered the Tacoma in a reg cab.
Agree on the Tacoma - the frame is nowhere near as stout as Hilux, but I did think they used the same rear axle and diff!? There was a write up a few years back going into to detail on the differences, I was suprised how sim they were to be honest (at the time).

I've not jumped into detail on Hilux's payload and engine options but rarely is payload limited by power (or to a lesser degree torque), it's usually components like brakes, frame, axles, etc. The 2.7 2TR petrol has more power than diesels they put in HD Landcruisers like the 2F, 3B, 2H and 1HZ. For utilitarian trucks like you have I'd guess the market just demands diesels...for good reason...

lugueto

Adventurer
Differentials are the same, powertrain is also the same. I would believe there's a difference in gear ratios that compensate for the payload capacities to each powertrain combination.

Frame, suspension and brakes are different. Frame and suspension are definitely set up for heavier loads in the Hilux. However, brakes on my Hilux are absolute crap. Payload for my V6 auto dual cab is 800kg. A 2nd gen Tacoma is rated for 500kg I believe and brakes are much better.

Mine is an older model than the OPs, comparable to a 2nd Gen tacoma DCSB with the 1GR/ A750 combo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12