2022 Overland Explorer Vehicles (OEV) CAMP-FX (Renamed "Alpine" as of 2023 model year)

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
IMG_0652.jpeg
Attended the Expo and looked for Arnold but kept missing him. Wanted to let him know how much we enjoy our Camp-X. We did look around at the Camp-FX mounted on a Ram 2500 single cab gas truck.

I liked the external storage, especially the spare tire space. Inside looked very similar to the Camp-X although my wife preferred the 2021 Camp-X counter top (grey) over the bamboo. I liked the four-per-side roof struts, I assume to facilitate raising the top.

The built-in stairs are a nice feature even though it took a little getting used to after our shorter and wider Camp-X Lil Giant stairs.

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0661.jpeg

PaulPritchard

ArizonaPaul
I've been curious how OEV handles the spare wheel on their various configurations. Looks like a great solution for the standard cabs, did you see how it is deployed?

Sorry I did not see or ask how the spare is deployed. Looks like a ratchet strap keeps it secured.

I haven't had to change a flat with the Camp-X mounted on my Ram truck, but I know it wouldn't be as easy as with this FX. These wheels are heavy!

IMG_0654.jpeg

Crux

What did you think of the shower / toilet cabinet?
Would it be easy to clean the shower grate/drain?

Ninelitetrip

What did you think of the shower / toilet cabinet?
Would it be easy to clean the shower grate/drain?

It's a tight fit but looks like it works. The toilet sits on an aluminum platform from the floor. Likewise, there is an aluminum plate with holes that serves as a shower grate. The drain runs to the passenger side box and out the sidewall. You can see it in the picture below the OEV sticker. The drain plug is at the rearmost portion of the storage box. I think some folks may elect to forgo the toilet for more storage space or a smaller portable toilet. It would be a large storage space if you went in that direction.

Speaking of the OEV sticker. Apparently, people did not like the multi-color sticker with the two flags so they dropped it.

Chadx

♫ Off the road again. Just can't wait to get...
Speaking of the OEV sticker. Apparently, people did not like the multi-color sticker with the two flags so they dropped it.

Interesting. I'll share that I'm one of those that didn't like the colored logo on the camper. It wasn't the flags; it was a colors. Some don't like red highlights or it clashed with their pickup color, so I think going to a simplified black and white logo is a good move. My 2020 CAMP-X had the flags but was black and white. I really like the look of my decals, and happy mine was before they turned the logos red. All personal preference, but if mine were red, I would have peeled them off. That being said, I REALLY like the new logo. It's very clean and modern looking and no colors. There was a time that OEV started putting super large oversized logos on there, too and many thought those were too large and they went back to the current size.

Of interest, the flag portion of the decals was a separate piece from the main logo decal on my generation decal. I had them send me a replacement decal when I was going to add one to another part of the camper and it came in two pieces; the main logo and the flag portion. So seems like they are simply not adding the second flag portion to the main. I like it.

Am I now "retro" with my 2020 black and white flag decal? Ha. I just noticed the background shape is different, too. Circle vs diamond.
20200405_115716.jpg

VS these new ones...

cropped-Logo-e1634614304739-perz2f5hl7h14x8fxc3raslmhcfc6dia0jbfl4xyh6.png

cropped-OVEX-Diamond-Logo-no-flags-2-270x270.png

Last edited:

Crux

Hard to decide which direction to go.
Definitely pros and cons for each model.
Below is my back of the napkin math on the cost of each.

53k Camp-X (43k), upgrades/install (10k)

76k Camp-X (43k), flatbed (12k), storage boxes (6k), upgrades/install (15k)

85k Camp-FX (58k), flatbed (12k), upgrades/install (15k)

91k Camp-HBE (64k), flatbed (12k), upgrades/install (15k)

100k Camp-HBE with auto roof lifter (73k), flatbed (12k), upgrades/install (15k)

Ninelitetrip

On the HBE. Upcoming change is an increase in overall height to add the underbed storage. I would guess that will bring a cost increase.

For the CAMP X and FX. I stopped by to look at the BOWEN products, and also saw the “Stormtrooper “ setup. The slide in bed platform BOWEN is making allows the camper to sit lower than a flatbed tray. Nice feature. Lose a little bit of volume in the side boxes I believe compare to a flatbed.

Crux

On the HBE. Upcoming change is an increase in overall height to add the underbed storage. I would guess that will bring a cost increase.

For the CAMP X and FX. I stopped by to look at the BOWEN products, and also saw the “Stormtrooper “ setup. The slide in bed platform BOWEN is making allows the camper to sit lower than a flatbed tray. Nice feature. Lose a little bit of volume in the side boxes I believe compare to a flatbed.

A lower flatbed would be nice so the slide-in Camp-X doesn’t have such a big gap with the cab.
Do you know general cost for the Bowen flatbed? (I’m assuming they could figure out a way to mount a Camp-X)

sn_85

Observer
Hard to decide which direction to go.
Definitely pros and cons for each model.
Below is my back of the napkin math on the cost of each.

53k Camp-X (43k), upgrades/install (10k)

76k Camp-X (43k), flatbed (12k), storage boxes (6k), upgrades/install (15k)

85k Camp-FX (58k), flatbed (12k), upgrades/install (15k)

91k Camp-HBE (64k), flatbed (12k), upgrades/install (15k)

100k Camp-HBE with auto roof lifter (73k), flatbed (12k), upgrades/install (15k)

If you have the cash then the HBE with auto lift is about as good as you can get. If it were my money I think the best value is the Camp-X and a flatbed with side boxes. The Camp-FX has some upgrades over the X and the storage options are good but not not worth the extra money IMO. Inside toilet & shower is fine but it takes up quite a bit of space in of itself. My other annoyance is the side storage boxes in the FX don't have a rear access door. So sliding in long objects like ski's or snowboard is not possible. Kind of a big miss IMO. I guess it depends on what you want. If you want a more livable space inside the vehicle then FX is better but I don't feel like "upgrades" are necessarily worth the price.

A lower flatbed would be nice so the slide-in Camp-X doesn’t have such a big gap with the cab.
Do you know general cost for the Bowen flatbed? (I’m assuming they could figure out a way to mount a Camp-X)

Here's their product page for a rough idea

Ninelitetrip

ATO has an FX sitting outside their shop, possibly the show model from Expo last year. Also sitting alongside is the OEV 8-foot HD bed and pass-through box. Maybe a deal to be had?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior