2022 Toyota Tundra - Who here has put it through the ringer?

poplocknsquat

Hey - I test drove a couple 2022 Tundra packages and am close to closing the deal, but I am curious if anyone has one and has put it through some serious testing yet. Couple of main concerns/thoughts:

• Seeing some stuff online about how a lot of new units are getting engine lights in the first couple thousand miles, often around a waste gate issue. Anyone run into that?
  • Ground clearance seems to be minimal with most packages having very limited/weak skid plates...
  • Has anyone made mods to theirs yet? I saw a few videos of a new C4 bumper, some people putting on 35s and 36s (even 37s somehow), and some leveling kits. But wondering if anyone has gone towards a full overlander set up yet.

Thanks!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'm curious to hear as well. Almost bought one myself.
Had a deal worked out and a deposit on an inbound lunar rock SR5 TRD O/R crewmax / 5.5" box but ended up backing out.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't/didn't buy one. The 22 is having issues and the gas mileage doesn't seem very good in real world conditions. TFL was pulling 14mpg towing a small tear drop on stock tires....that's not good at all and indicates to me that mods will really impact this truck.

As you mentioned the ground clearance/approach/departure aren't very good. Coupled with the lack of front recovery points and I don't think it's a very good platform compared to any other full size truck.

ITTOG

I wouldn't/didn't buy one. The 22 is having issues and the gas mileage doesn't seem very good in real world conditions. TFL was pulling 14mpg towing a small tear drop on stock tires....that's not good at all and indicates to me that mods will really impact this truck.

As you mentioned the ground clearance/approach/departure aren't very good. Coupled with the lack of front recovery points and I don't think it's a very good platform compared to any other full size truck.
That mileage is the same as my 2018 F150 3.5L so I would say that is what you should expect. I pulled a motorcycle trailer, empty, and my mileage dropped to 12.8.

ITTOG

When I towed my 6x12 cargo trailer my mileage was about 7.5. If I locked my transmission at 7 gears, ie not use 8-10, then I could get that up to about 9.

It has plenty of power and torque but when towing it likes to spool up the turbo's and guzzle the gas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior