2023 Frontier Build?

SpeyRod

Has anyone built on a 2022-23 Frontier?

My son graduates HS this year and will be going off to college in the fall. He is talking about doing wild land fire fighting this summer to earn some $. He is a hard core skier and mountain biker as well as loving to hunt. He is also talking about moving to AK post college. I am thinking of doing a build on a 2023 Frontier for his graduation gift.

The basics so far and unanswered questions:

CBI covert bumper
?? Winch
Bed rack? 1/2 cab hight? To keep drag down. Suspect typical accessories need a minimum hight?
rtt?
+- 2” lift with 33’s. I have run OME on the last 4 trucks I have built. I like their suspensions but open to suggestions.
Power Lipo or ? For power distribution. What works best in cold weather?
Drawer system with camp kitchen dedicated on one side. Suggestions?
Propane of camp kitchen and fire pit.

Would love any and all input before I start this build. My current truck, 2014 Tundra, is his daily driver. It has 210,000 miles so it is time to build out a new truck vs let him continue with this one.

Thanks!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Those are nice trucks - you think he’d be happy with a smaller truck after the Tundra? I wonder if you can get a Titan for close to same price?

SpeyRod

If I was going to buy another full size truck I would probably go with another Tundra. I never found the Titan to be appealing. With that said, IMHO, I feel the smaller truck is a better way to start out life. When he is out of school and can afford to choose he can trade up if he wants.

Besides, I need to keep some budget for my next build….

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
If I was going to buy another full size truck I would probably go with another Tundra. I never found the Titan to be appealing. With that said, IMHO, I feel the smaller truck is a better way to start out life. When he is out of school and can afford to choose he can trade up if he wants.

Besides, I need to keep some budget for my next build….
I would get him a Titan. It's genuinely better than the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Tundra. A 2020+ is the ticket. Will get about the same real world mileage as a Frontier. Put a decked system and and a topper on it and he'll be good to go. 2020 king cab Pro4x just like mine can be had for a great deal, great stereo, factory 33s, rear locker, durable interior, and enough room to sleep in. Goldilocks truck for what you're looking for. Plus they came with a 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty...

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I would get him a Titan. It's genuinely better than the 2nd gen and 3rd gen Tundra. A 2020+ is the ticket. Will get about the same real world mileage as a Frontier. Put a decked system and and a topper on it and he'll be good to go. 2020 king cab Pro4x just like mine can be had for a great deal, great stereo, factory 33s, rear locker, camper my durable interior, and enough room to sleep in. Goldilocks truck for what you're looking for. Plus they came with a 5 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty...
I haven’t looked under them- is the running gear as heavy as the Tundras?

I have a 22 Frontier SV 4X4. It's a nice truck but payload is limited, just under 1200#. The Pro4X he'd want is even less. There seems to be adequate after market and you can get build inspiration at the Club Frontier forum. https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/ The Titan is more capable but it's being discontinued, will be an orphan.

llamalander

Built-up an '08 Frontier, probably the exact same bed as the new one (if it's 6').
Longbed is easier to sleep in and the extra wheelbase seems to help more than hurt.
I don't know if you can order an SL with the rear locker, but that would be my choice over the pro-x, especially if you planned to change the suspension.
OME has a great setup for the frontier, rated to carry 1200 KG in Oz, not lbs, so one can feel better about loading it up. Fits 33" tires with minimal work on the plastic fender liners and needs no body lift, so it keeps the center of gravity as low as possible.
Shell is extra useful and the utiliti-track system is awesome, both for hauling and building out with, uses the same fittings as Uni-strut.
I might skip the Decked system, it wastes a ton of space and having half the bed full-height can be really useful, especially with bikes.
Aluminum underbody protection, at least for the radiator and front, is a good investment--everything is up inside the frame-rails, so fairly well protected.
The 6' bed has enough room to fit a second battery underneath in the frame with a little fab work. AGM batteries can mount sideways and charge/discharge in the cold, but there are some good self-heating lithium batteries available now too that are 1/3 the weight and double the capacity.
I'm considering a Topo Topper, aluminum wedge camper that can be shipped to you, fits the Frontier and costs about as much as a GFC. Not the most plush bed, but that shouldn't matter to a young guy.
The prior generation proved to be durable, capable trucks, I suspect the present generation will be that and a bit more quiet, powerful & comfortable.
Have fun with the build--as above, Club Frontier is a good source of inspiration and links to the folks that offer Frontier accessories.

Skinny06

There is ever increasing aftermarket for the 3rd gen Frontiers. Check out All Dogs Offroad.
Decked setups are nice, but as mentioned take up A LOT of space. A topper might be better.
Some stuff will fit/crossover from the 2nd gens as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior