2024 Land Cruiser in the USA?

Sid Post

Observer
https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-coming-back-to-america.239455/
This thread has a lot of unrelated discussions about vehicle taxes, dealer price gouging, etc. ... so not a good resource for me.

Let's try to keep this one on the NEW TOYOTA LAND CRUISER and avoid unrelated discussions and protracted sidetracks.

I have been watching the Toyota YouTube videos and like what I see from the Official Toyota channel. At a suggested starting price of $50K, this opens up this vehicle to a lot of people looking for a good Overlander. I have been looking for a good used Series 80 but, most are either rolling rust buckets or are simply priced so high as not to be a good candidate for me. Ditto for the Lexus LX-450 and LX-570. $35K with $3K of dealer fees for an ~80K mile LX-570 from the mid-20-teens with blown out clear coat and crazed headlight assemblies was common with heavy cigarette smoke in several as well. This took me to a 2024 Jeep Rubicon in the ~$55K range with its floating rear Dana 44 and side airbags as some of the new features.

Now, I'm on the fence about waiting for the Land Cruiser! The Ford Bronco and Toyota FourRunners are simply over-priced where I live so, while both look reasonable I think they are "too hot" for the current market to be a good choice at current pricing.

What is known today, or reliable speculation/sighting about the new 2024 Land Cruiser? Is it going to be a solid Overlander with good aftermarket support? Being a new platform, I don't expect Safari Racks, Drawer systems, and similar stuff to be available in March 2024 but, I would like to add some stuff for my big August/September trip.

TIA and Happy Thanksgiving,
Sid

Not much more to say since nobody has one yet. :unsure: No doubt it will be capable and desirable. The chances of getting one in 2024 for $50k are slim to none. If 4Runners and Broncos are priced too high for you, it seems unrealistic to be dreaming of a new Land Cruiser.

Sid Post

Observer
I'm in East Texas and wrote off most of the dealers in Tyler and Paris, TX because of little stock on hand, full payment upfront, and $10K "market price adjustments". Perhaps I need to go to Dallas or Houston for a decent deal.

No way am I paying >$50K for a FourRunner or Bronco when I can get a Jeep Rubicon JLU for a bit more than that today. And yes, the initial surge of demand will like soak up all 2024 Land Cruiser models for a while. With higher interest rates and a tougher economy, I think after the initial frenzy dies down, they will be Jeep priced or possibly a bit less.

RND1

Observer
I think the new LC looks great. However, Toyota said the lowest trim will start at $55K, not $50K. Even without any dealer markup, it will likely be $60K with a few options. I was strongly considering ordering one as a replacement for my 100 series that I love. I wish they could pipe in 5.7L V8 sounds so I wouldn't have to listen to the 4 cyl sewing machine. Anyways, after calling several local dealers all of them said they will be $5K to $10K over MSRP. No thanks.

I ordered a '24 Willys V6 6MT for 8% below invoice which will end up around $46K. If it ends up being a POS, I'll get in line for an LC hopefully once the first year mania dies down.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think the new LC looks great. However, Toyota said the lowest trim will start at $55K, not $50K. Even without any dealer markup, it will likely be $60K with a few options. I was strongly considering ordering one as a replacement for my 100 series that I love. I wish they could pipe in 5.7L V8 sounds so I wouldn't have to listen to the 4 cyl sewing machine. Anyways, after calling several local dealers all of them said they will be $5K to $10K over MSRP. No thanks.

I ordered a '24 Willys V6 6MT for 8% below invoice which will end up around $46K. If it ends up being a POS, I'll get in line for an LC hopefully once the first year mania dies down.
Don’t you think a landcruiser is a bargain at 55 if a Willy’s cost 46? It’s an apples and oranges comparison. I’m not saying the Jeep is a bad vehicle it’s just not the same.

RND1

Observer
Don’t you think a landcruiser is a bargain at 55 if a Willy’s cost 46? It’s an apples and oranges comparison. I’m not saying the Jeep is a bad vehicle it’s just not the same.

After watching loads of videos and hearing LC fans comment about the LC250 in person, I think it's going to be closer in feel to a 4runner than a 200. If that's the case I don't think it's a bargain at 55 if a Willys is 46. The Willys is a throwback in time - solid axle, 33" BFG KO2's, 4.10 locking rear, good 'ol normally aspirated V6 with 6 speed manual transmission and sunrider top just sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

If the 250 ends up being more like a bargain 200 series, I'll get in line to buy one. :). My LC was $63K in 2003 so I highly doubt it.

nickw

Adventurer
https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/the-toyota-land-cruiser-is-coming-back-to-america.239455/
This thread has a lot of unrelated discussions about vehicle taxes, dealer price gouging, etc. ... so not a good resource for me.

Let's try to keep this one on the NEW TOYOTA LAND CRUISER and avoid unrelated discussions and protracted sidetracks.

I have been watching the Toyota YouTube videos and like what I see from the Official Toyota channel. At a suggested starting price of $50K, this opens up this vehicle to a lot of people looking for a good Overlander. I have been looking for a good used Series 80 but, most are either rolling rust buckets or are simply priced so high as not to be a good candidate for me. Ditto for the Lexus LX-450 and LX-570. $35K with $3K of dealer fees for an ~80K mile LX-570 from the mid-20-teens with blown out clear coat and crazed headlight assemblies was common with heavy cigarette smoke in several as well. This took me to a 2024 Jeep Rubicon in the ~$55K range *with its floating rear Dana 44*and side airbags as some of the new features.

Now, I'm on the fence about waiting for the Land Cruiser! The Ford Bronco and Toyota FourRunners are simply over-priced where I live so, while both look reasonable I think they are "too hot" for the current market to be a good choice at current pricing.

What is known today, or reliable speculation/sighting about the new 2024 Land Cruiser? Is it going to be a solid Overlander with good aftermarket support? Being a new platform, I don't expect Safari Racks, Drawer systems, and similar stuff to be available in March 2024 but, I would like to add some stuff for my big August/September trip.

TIA and Happy Thanksgiving,
Sid
Floating D44 - really?

NoDak

Floating D44 - really?
I was super excited about this too but after looking into it they aren’t the full floaters we all love and are familiar with. It looks like a C-clip axle with unit bearing hubs.

nickw

Adventurer
I was super excited about this too but after looking into it they aren’t the full floaters we all love and are familiar with. It looks like a C-clip axle with unit bearing hubs.
Then it's not a full floater if it's a C-clip axle....all the full floaters I am familiar with have the hub with bolts on the outside to remove axle:

1702535182998.png

*Edit - here is a breakdown of the new axle:

It's an interesting design - not "full float" in the sense we are used too (like the pic above), but technically the axle shaft bears no weight. There is a carrier plate that bolts to outside of axle with a unit bearing. No replacing axles while wheel is still on like older designs, wheel, brake and carrier plate all need removed....but no chance on losing wheel if axle breaks. It's very similar to a front axle IME.

Step in the right direction it seems.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior