2024 RAM 5500 Camper Hauler Build

Chasing Snow

Hey all, I am new here but have been following several of the other builds here for awhile now. The wife and I have finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2024 RAM 5500 Crew cab 84"CA. I will be picking it up this Friday. The ultimate plan is a super single conversation air suspension, and a custom build slide in camper for back. I plan to post the progress of the build as it goes. To date we have tires and wheels from DBL design on order along with AEV highmark fenders, a CM Sk flatbed that will go on the back. Still trying to dig up funds for the Kelderman airbags. It may have to wait a bit for that. Anyway I look forward to posting the progress of the build.

LikeABoss

Observer
Awesome. I did the less expensive 2 stage kelderman and it made a big difference. I talked to them and they said it rode about the same as their 4 link, just less adjustable. I think I still can raise and lower by about 4” which is plenty for me. I just wanted the nicer ride when unloaded. I’ve never ridden in their 4 link but for much less $, I would do the 2 stage again.

Chasing Snow

Awesome. I did the less expensive 2 stage kelderman and it made a big difference. I talked to them and they said it rode about the same as their 4 link, just less adjustable. I think I still can raise and lower by about 4” which is plenty for me. I just wanted the nicer ride when unloaded. I’ve never ridden in their 4 link but for much less $, I would do the 2 stage again.
Hey I appreciate the feedback on the 2 stage vs 4 link. I have been thinking about going that route as well. That would allow me to pull the time line to the left. Did you get the front bags as well or just the rear? In you opinion how much did it improve the ride?

Chasing Snow

Well its offical the truck is now ours. Now on to the fun part of ripping into a brand new truck to change everything. We are looking forward to the build.

Attachments

• 20231110_174203.jpg
    20231110_174203.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 66

LikeABoss

Observer
Hey I appreciate the feedback on the 2 stage vs 4 link. I have been thinking about going that route as well. That would allow me to pull the time line to the left. Did you get the front bags as well or just the rear? In you opinion how much did it improve the ride?

Just the rear as I lifted the front and their front is only available in factory height. I’d say the rear is considerably better - maybe 50%? Not a whole lot worse than my 2500 was. I did Bilstein 5160s in the back too. I just have a 1.5” spacer in front but changing out to Carli 3” springs for a 2500/3500 next. I’m hopeful they fit - measurements seem to check out. I have them and hope to do it in the next week or so.

LikeABoss

Observer
Also, AEV says they lift their 4500/5500 2” and push the axle forward 1” along with the highmarks. They told me they do not need a driveshaft spacer and do not put a longer track bar on.

I did a 1.5” spacer and core 4x4 arms to move forward. I am able to run 37s with this (with the AEV bumper with short sides made for the highmarks. I have not done the fenders yet as 37s look way too small then. I don’t love the military tire reputation so hoping my 3” lift allows 40 civilian tires on super singles most of the time then the 37” duals when the camper is on.

a90f8d54bbc93e8a40a9db9160228081.jpg

Chasing Snow

You have a sharp looking rig....AEV told me the same thing. If you go look at what DBL design has done he claims you can fit the Continental mpt 81's with Highmark Fenders with no lift. He claims you need to trim about 3/4" more then the AEV directions. That is my plan hopefully it works. I will keep you posted.

LikeABoss

Observer
You have a sharp looking rig....AEV told me the same thing. If you go look at what DBL design has done he claims you can fit the Continental mpt 81's with Highmark Fenders with no lift. He claims you need to trim about 3/4" more then the AEV directions. That is my plan hopefully it works. I will keep you posted.

Awesome thanks. Yeah I could see pulling that off. At least the 1.5 spacer is cheap and easy if you need it. I didn’t notice a ride quality difference. The longer control arms a little more $.

Chasing Snow

Well after what seams like an eternity my wheels and tires have showed up. In the meantime I pulled the trigger on the AEV front bumper. Last weekend the wife and I started the transformation of our 5500. Still need to button up the liners and some wiring but we are 80% done with the front. The rear we need to open up the wheel wells on the flatbed but that should be fairly easy ater all the cutting on the front end. Here is a good before and after. 1000003746.jpg

gprguy

Very nice. Any issues getting the Badlands winch in there? Did you order any specific mounting kit from AEV? I plan to do the same with mine once I get the back end a little more done.

Chasing Snow

Well it's a slow process but we made some good progress over the last few weeks. Fist we got the flatbed modification done to fit the Continentals. We also received a set of standard offset rear hubs from Stazworks so we can run the tires the same direction.The installation was straightforward and everything went together without issues. I am working with John Stazworks to get a new front wheel adapter to get the front track width matched up with the rear. After the truck gets closer to being done it will be time to focus on the camper build.

Attachments

• 20240419_201152.jpg
    20240419_201152.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20240419_124452.jpg
    20240419_124452.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Well it's a slow process but we made some good progress over the last few weeks. Fist we got the flatbed modification done to fit the Continentals. We also received a set of standard offset rear hubs from Stazworks so we can run the tires the same direction.The installation was straightforward and everything went together without issues. I am working with John Stazworks to get a new front wheel adapter to get the front track width matched up with the rear. After the truck gets closer to being done it will be time to focus on the camper build.

For clarity, you have DBL single rims and Stazworks is doing the spacers? I would think the DBL should come set with the proper offset to run with a straight track? And you want to run "dish in” front and back? Any reason dish out doesn't work for you on the rears?

I know John offers a few different rim styles. His cheapest option was military 2 piece rims with the proper MPT (or LT) bead profile machined into them. Something like $800 per rim. I've seen him say they don't track square (front 91" width and rear 95"). Then he has the 40 and 50 series that come in square track from them. Something like $1300 per rim. Sorry just trying to demystify the Single market. Some day I'll do a proper breakdown thread.

Such an amazing truck BTW! Following along.

Chasing Snow

I have the DBL 2 pice aluminum wheels and yes running the rear dished out would be an option but when you rotate tires the face would be scuffed up from riding on the hub flange. Also I like the look of having the wheels the same direction. Honestly I ordered wheels and tires from DBL before I knew Stazworks offered the rear hubs. With the current wheels the front tires are approximately 3.5" outside of the fender flares. I am having a new wheel adapter made to pull them in some. That should help with keeping things a bit cleaner thats the main reason. Also, it should ended up a true square track then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online