2024 Tacoma

utherjorge

Observer
The transmission has a thermal valve that controls the fluid to the transmission cooler. The fact that it does not open until the fluid reaches a certain (high) temp. is the issue. The "fix" is to remove the valve to allow the fluid to flow between the cooler and the transmission unmonitored...therefore the fluid does not reach the high temps. needed to open the valve, and stays at a cooler temp.

Cheers
Does this create other problems, though, like a system that never gets hot enough? Cold starts, rough shifts, etc?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I've never bought a pallet of plywood so I'm not sure what would be needed... but you can easily make a platform on top the wheelwells, using a couple of loose boards and a sheet of plywood.
Lots of building materials come on a pallet. Mulch for example if you’re just Joe blow homeowner. For some people it’s a non issue.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I've never bought a pallet of plywood so I'm not sure what would be needed... but you can easily make a platform on top the wheelwells, using a couple of loose boards and a sheet of plywood.
I sometimes buy bagged mulch, soil etc. I either buy it palletized or put it on a pallet to make it easier to unload and transport with the tractor and pallet forks. When I am in the Tacoma this is not possible due to the width between the wheel wells.

Laying a sheet of plywood or sheetrock flat is nice as well instead of having to do the sideways thing in the Tacoma. Its a simple thing that is super convenient that you don't know you miss until you do.

Making a platform several times a week is just kind of a pain and not the most efficient use of time.

I like my Tacoma, but there are a few things I wish they would address, and distance between the wheel wells is one of them. I thought that was very thoughtful of Ford. No doubt Ford has more people on their design teams that are familiar with actually using trucks as trucks.

bkg

Explorer
They changed it for the 4th gen Tacoma. There is no longer an access cab, only an Xtracab. The Xtracab truck does not have jump seats or suicide doors. It only has the two front seats, 2 doors and the rear space is all storage. It's definitely a throwback to the Toyota "Pickup" and first gen Tacoma's.

aaaahhh... interesting move.

rruff

Explorer
Making a platform several times a week is just kind of a pain and not the most efficient use of time.
The Maverick at least makes it easy. If you are going to use it regularly you can just leave the pieces in there.

The market has decided that 1/2 ton full size trucks are primarily commuter, family hauling, and trailer pulling vehicles, and the midsize is leaning more towards lifestyle/recreation/offroad. None of them are made for hauling loads really. At least that's how it looks from the marketing and most of the vehicles bought.

If a person wanted they could get wheels that are a little more outboard, hack off the offending bits, and build new pieces to fit in there... ?

Dougnuts

The transmission has a thermal valve that controls the fluid to the transmission cooler. The fact that it does not open until the fluid reaches a certain (high) temp. is the issue. The "fix" is to remove the valve to allow the fluid to flow between the cooler and the transmission unmonitored...therefore the fluid does not reach the high temps. needed to open the valve, and stays at a cooler temp.

Cheers

Does this create other problems, though, like a system that never gets hot enough? Cold starts, rough shifts, etc?

I am not sure if I‘ve read anything about the thermal valve, but I think the largest issue is the CDF drum. I believe this was fixed in late 2020 or early 2021. Most of my research has been F150 specific.

Grassland

I never see people working out of Tacoma's except pest control and some subcontract cable/data/telecom workers.

It's a lifestyle vehicle. Urban commuting, occasionally pick up a BBQ, lawn mower, piece of furniture or building products. Some bags of gravel or mulch. Firewood. Throw the hockey bags in the bed under a tonneau. Tow the jet skis or tent trailer on the weekend, put the mountain bikes in the bed etc.

It's a compromise. You can't build a small truck and have it sit four adults comfortably and have a bed wide and long enough for full sheets of rock or ply, and have it turn tight, get better fuel economy, and occupy less volume.

I've always been the non Toyota guy because prior to the pandemic, they cost so much more locally than the domestic competition, and offered less for that money.

Having more gears, more torque, *maybe* more payload, addresses a lot of what is consider weak points in its class. Depending what the final numbers are and real world purchase price, looks to me like a strong contender in that class.

rruff

Explorer
One thing that seems like a major step back is the xtra-cab lacking a door. Really reduces the utility of it.

Also, I guess we don't have interior dimensions yet? On the new Tundra they cut back on interior space, making the short rear cab (called double cab) unusable for full size adults. Instead they made the hood longer... for aero, crash protection, style? The Tundra used to have the best turning radius for a fullsize, and that is longer now. Even with some aluminum bits added, I think weight is up a little also... on a truck that was already the heaviest in the class. The Tacomas are usually better sorted than Tundras for design/features, but I wonder if we'll see some similar compromises.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The best improvement, in my opinion, that the '24 has is the boxed frame.

Cheers

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
You mean turbo engine? C-channel has some advantages in stock configuration, but it sucks when you start mounting things to the bed or frame and you have all that torsional flex to deal with.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yeah, I don’t see the xtracab lasting very long. It will be self fulfilling prophecy sales flop.

Without the suicide doors, it really defeats the purpose of the extra space as it’s impossible to get things back there, especially coolers/fridges and dogs, which they specifically call out.

-Mike
100%

I owned an XtraCab (1991) and replaced it with an Access Cab (2008). There's a lot of things I preferred about the older truck but the suicide doors are absolutely brilliant just for, well, accessing your cargo and getting the dog in and out. On SR Access Cab trucks Toyota used to sell a utility package, which deleted all the upholstery and left the tool boxes and flat walls.

I don't need a Double Cab or back seats for anything, I do need a 6' bed and prefer a less-than-battleship wheelbase and a comfortable place for the fur machine.

This is just about perfection.

2016-tacoma-access-cab-sr-4x2-utility-package-no-rear-seat-back-up-power-pack-10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online