'24 4xe Rubicon X experience

Bobzdar

Observer
I traded my '20 JTR in on a new '24 4xe Rubicon X in October and have had a chance to do a trip in the 4xe, so figured I'd post my experience so far. TLDR: really good experience overall so far, almost comical power, no compromises off road, and the power box makes it a great off grid tool.

The back story: I love my gladiator, to the point I was going to trade it on when I bought a d130 to haul the family and tow our camper (kids getting taller, my mom moving next door,and two dogs meant we just couldn't all fit comfortably anymore), but decided to keep it. If I could change anything about it it'd have been yellow (not available at the time), and get the front camera. The dealer asked me every time I took my gladiator in for service if I'd be interested in trading it in, and with the updates to the '24 4xe and the fact I bought a d130 to do towing duties, I no longer really needed the pickup bed and towing ability, so I said sure, find me a 4xe Rubicon in yellow with all the same options and I'll think about it. I had talked to my wife and she was into the electric part for running errands and the like, so it had to be a 4xe. After looking at a few that I didn't want (including a 392,I had to explain to the dealer that the whole point was the 4xe drivetrain), they found a yellow 4xe Rubicon X, which apparently is the only way to get the leather heated seats, and had everything else I wanted except it had the color matched hard top. I'm not a fan but now there's no way to get the other high end options without it as you have to get the X package. The gladiator had 72k miles but they gave me good trade in and a good enough deal on the 4xe, so I went for it.

I have to say, the drivetrain is excellent. It gets better mileage in hybrid mode than the pentastar in either the JTR or the JLUR I had before that, while having almost 90hp more and a whopping 200 lb ft more torque (same as the 392, 470lbs ft). It's almost comical having that much power in a Wrangler. It also now has a full time 4wd mode along with 4hi/low, which neither of my previous rubicons did. The '24s have improved max regen braking and the addition of a power box, which turns it into a 3.6kw generator, more on that later as I extensively tested that out. In terms of driving, I usually get 22-25 miles on electric only, which is more than the advertised 21, and gets 20mpg in hybrid mode (ie with the battery not charged). It has 3 drive modes, electric, hybrid and e-save. In electric it only uses the e motor unless you give it 2/3 throttle or more or have <1% battery, then the gas engine kicks in. In hybrid it's pretty much the same but the engine kicks in at less throttle, more like 50%. In e save it tries to maintain the current battery charge so drives exactly like hybrid at <1% battery charge. There's also an e-save charge mode, that instead of using the e-motor to help accelerate like it does in regular e-save or hybrid, uses all of the Regen to charge the battery and the gas motor to accelerate to try to top up the battery to ~95%. It will also use some engine power to charge while the gas motor is operating at steady state (ie highway) to top the battery up, the thought is you charge the battery at peak gas engine efficiency and with Regen braking and then use the battery in conditions that the gas engine is really inefficient at (like off road, stop and go, or generator mode). I purchased a level 2 charger that plugs into an existing 220 socket in my garage and it charges in about 2.5 hours. I can also charge for free at work, so on my 70 mile round trip commute which I do around 2x a week, I use about a gallon of gas. So 70mpg in a Jeep.

Every year a few friends and I take a trip to the endless mountains in PA where one of them has 300 acres of family land that used to be a working farm and rock quarry, so it has tons of trails, a mountain top camping spot and is off grid. I listed up the Jeep and set it in the 420 mile trip and nothing exciting there, just a normal Jeep (but with 370hp that would surprise my buddy a bit when I'd pass a tractor trailer). I had run it in e-save charge after the last fuel fill up to charge the battery, and also filled up again right off the highway not far from the property, so I started with around 90% battery charge and nearly a full tank of gas. I also have a rotopax with 3.5gallons on my spare tire just in case. I had no idea what the fuel consumption would be using the generator, off roading, etc.

First, off road is like any other JLUR, I couldn't tell the difference capability wise, except that you could pretty much do it all in electric mode. I mostly ran in 4 hi for two reasons, first being it was more efficient - if you watch tfl they burned the whole battery in like 6 miles running in 4lo the whole time - 2nd being in 4 low with all that electric torque it was a little touchy, so I only used 4lo if I needed the front locker and sway bar disconnected. There were two instances I did, including the dreaded slick downed tree that acts as a rail slide, and got through without issue. My buddy in his jtr slid down it a bit too much and dented his bed and popped a tail light off despite our best efforts with two winches to keep him off of it. He had falken mtrs vs my ko2s but neither of us were aired down, which in retrospect was a mistake. The other area I needed the front locker was in a rock garden area that tests everything these jeeps have, including the armor. I again made it through without issue but definitely dragged the bottom. My buddy had enough at that point and bailed, and it's even trickier in the gladiator due to the wheelbase, but I had taken my JLUR though there before with similar bottom scraping results. The rest was fairly light with just some mud in a couple of places, but not enough to cause any problems. My only regret is I totally forgot about the front camera which definitely would have helped on the rocks. Oh well, next time.

On to the camping. We have an alaknak outfitters tent with a wood stove we set up for the 4 days we're there, and I added a challenge that I was going to work remotely the first day up there. In the past just getting a cell signal required a signal booster, so I brought my starlink with rv plan and decided to rely on the power box to power it. I set up the starlink, plugged in the power box and...nothing. Hmmm. Checked the manual (still in plastic) and no mention of it at all. Couldn't find anything on forums either, I guess it's just too new of an accessory. I then managed to find a PDF manual that outlined it and it's fairly easy. Plug it in to the (turned off) Jeep, press the power button on the box, then go into the Jeep and start it. Don't touch anything and it's in electric mode (ie use the battery until it's dead and then it shuts off). Press the Regen button on the dash and it goes to hybrid mode, which will use the battery first and then run the gas engine at peak efficiency to charge it back up a bit and then repeat until it's out of gas and battery (ie this gives maximum generator longevity and efficiency). Press the Regen button twice and it goes to gas generator mode which both runs the power box off the engine and charges the battery if you have it set to e-save charge (which I found out a bit by accident). Once running, everything worked and I took meetings all day from the top of the mountain powered by the Jeep. Pretty cool. Only issue is if the power box does not detect a load, it shuts off, and the starlink often was not enough load to keep it awake. Turn on a few other things or when it got cold enough to activate the dish heater (ie at night when it got to freezing) and it would run indefinitely, kicking the engine on periodically to charge. At the end of the 4 days after running the generator probably half of the time and doing a bunch of off roading, I'd used less than half of the 17.5 gallon tank. I figured out that I could charge the battery while using the power box so would do that before going off road to make sure I had at least 30% battery which ended up being enough to do all of it in battery mode.

PXL_20231109_163557204.jpgIMG_8278.jpgIMG_8275.jpgIMG_20231120_215313.jpgIMG_20231120_215322.jpgIMG_20231120_215308.jpg

Last edited:

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Thanks for the in-depth write up - that property looks pretty epic! Glad to hear the 24 is working well for you, love the high velocity color too. Our 21 has been a boat load of fun for its first 30k miles, great for camping, crawling, beach riding, and towing just like our 18 was. Would love to have the power box feature, I may be upgrading to a 24 or 25 at some point. I put the ASFIR skid under the oil pan which has helped with peace of mind on the rocks.

attachment (43).jpg

IMG_6041.JPG

03A7EAB0-35D7-42D8-A20E-A86176FF6C76 (1).jpg

Last edited:

HopeOverLandandSea

Just a bit of experience from my 2022 4xe I wanted to share for future consideration. I spent 9 weeks towing my Aliner Scout camper during the summer of 2023 all over the USA, and ended up camping in a few places that I was on the non generator loop (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon) and/or boondocking.

I was running my BougeRV fridge (and my starlink) off the Jackery 500, which was plugged into the rear 12v outlet on the 4xe in the cargo area. I had moved the fuse in the box so this 12v outlet is "always on." About week 6 or 7 of the trip was the first time this happened where my Jackery pulled enough power from the 4xe / (primary starting battery) so that when I got in the Wrangler and hit the start button NOTHING happened.. well I think actually lights flickered, on/off rapidly, my windshield wipers came on (weird symptom of low battery) and I was "stuck" with a non running Wrangler! One more note, in that case / campsite, did not have electric and so the 4xe hybrid battery was ALSO at zero %! (Found out later that did not matter)

Luckily in my setup I have a generator mounted to my camper so I started that AND I had a big enough extension cord with me that I hooked up my CHARGER that I bought for my house 100ah LION battery on the camper directly to my battery (starting battery) on the Wrangler. I let this charge / run for say 10 minutes, and hit the start button and wahlah, Jeep started as normal and I was good to go... alternator charged main / starting battery on wrangler that day as normal, etc.

In a day or two I knew I would be in a similar camping situation so I deliberately put the 4xe into "charging" mode (name escaping me, third option on the panel) and so when I parked to camp overnight I want to say I had 25-35% of power on my 4xe/hybrid battery. I thought I had read it would keep my starting battery "filled up" in case I used too much energy again overnight... but I was wrong! Same exact situation!!

I charged up my starting battery via generator / and wrangler starts up....AND I confirmed the 4xe still had the "full 25-35%" that it did the previous night!!!? So basically the jackery, pulling charge from starting battery on wrangler, via 12v power outlet, discharged the starting battery below what the 4xe required to start/run AND the system did NOT actually use the energy in the hybrid to keep that starting battery up!?

I did my best to change how I was camping / using the Jackery / 12v in the wrangler over the next few weeks but I ended up having to charge / start the 4xe a couple more times over the remainder of that journey. Lucking I had that generator WITH me and the failure occurred AT the campsite instead of say on a trail somewhere!!! The ongoing failures I tested several times and had various stages of hybrid battery charge, from the 10-20% all the way up and even 70% in my hybrid at least once when this happened to me!

I suspect, based on my reading at JL Forums etc that the primary starting battery on the 4xe was failing! Possibly it was damaged because I was charging / using the "always on" 12 outlet when camping overnight. But that was actually one of the primary reasons I got the 4xe was for camping and THOUGHT that the extra capacity of the hybrid system meant even if showing 0% hybrid that I would never end up "needing a jump"?!?

My hope is that along with the programming and hardward changes in the 2024 to allow that external power station / hooked to hybrid system, that they may have addressed this in other ways as well. IOW, it is really DUMB that I had 25-35% charge in my hybrid battery but the 4xe would not start.

So just a word of caution for the 2021 2022 2023 4xe folks out there camping, you MUST keep your starting battery up at a certain level (don't know what that is) or the 4xe will not start (throws a full hissy fit, flickering lights, clicks, snaps, windshield wipers come on and wont go off..full on demon possession stuff) Running your camping gear via the "starting battery" risks taking that battery below the operating amount needed AND... in my experience having charge on hybrid battery does not help, you are not able to access that via 12v source in the Wrangler.

This spooked me a bit, not starting, and had some other complications and reasons / booked the 4xe into local dealership for warranty work on the battery (and other stuff, leaking coolant), and ended up trading for 2022 Gladiator. So I am not sure of the final analysis on the starting battery but I had explained it needed to be tested etc.

So please do NOT take this as a 4xe bashing by any means, just FYI for future campers, really wish they had made the system to draw from hybrid battery to prevent this NON START issue and maybe mine was a unique case. Loved my 4xe, put 28k miles on it, 8k on that one trip, about 16-17 mpg on avg pulling the Aliner FYI. Ultimately for my future / long distance driving and camping, another 8000 miles coming summer 2024, the hybrid really did not help. However if the 4xe Gladiator had been an option with this new 2024 power system, I WOULD absolutely choose that because I think access to the big battery is a game changer for boondocking / overlanding.

Sam
IMG_6753.jpg

Last edited:

ricoisme26

Just a bit of experience from my 2022 4xe I wanted to share for future consideration. I spent 9 weeks towing my Aliner Scout camper during the summer of 2023 all over the USA, and ended up camping in a few places that I was on the non generator loop (Yellowstone, Grand Canyon) and/or boondocking.

I was running my BougeRV fridge (and my starlink) off the Jackery 500, which was plugged into the rear 12v outlet on the 4xe in the cargo area. I had moved the fuse in the box so this 12v outlet is "always on." About week 6 or 7 of the trip was the first time this happened where my Jackery pulled enough power from the 4xe / (primary starting battery) so that when I got in the Wrangler and hit the start button NOTHING happened.. well I think actually lights flickered, on/off rapidly, my windshield wipers came on (weird symptom of low battery) and I was "stuck" with a non running Wrangler! One more note, in that case / campsite, did not have electric and so the 4xe hybrid battery was ALSO at zero %! (Found out later that did not matter)

Luckily in my setup I have a generator mounted to my camper so I started that AND I had a big enough extension cord with me that I hooked up my CHARGER that I bought for my house 100ah LION battery on the camper directly to my battery (starting battery) on the Wrangler. I let this charge / run for say 10 minutes, and hit the start button and wahlah, Jeep started as normal and I was good to go... alternator charged main / starting battery on wrangler that day as normal, etc.

In a day or two I knew I would be in a similar camping situation so I deliberately put the 4xe into "charging" mode (name escaping me, third option on the panel) and so when I parked to camp overnight I want to say I had 25-35% of power on my 4xe/hybrid battery. I thought I had read it would keep my starting battery "filled up" in case I used too much energy again overnight... but I was wrong! Same exact situation!!

I charged up my starting battery via generator / and wrangler starts up....AND I confirmed the 4xe still had the "full 25-35%" that it did the previous night!!!? So basically the jackery, pulling charge from starting battery on wrangler, via 12v power outlet, discharged the starting battery below what the 4xe required to start/run AND the system did NOT actually use the energy in the hybrid to keep that starting battery up!?

I did my best to change how I was camping / using the Jackery / 12v in the wrangler over the next few weeks but I ended up having to charge / start the 4xe a couple more times over the remainder of that journey. Lucking I had that generator WITH me and the failure occurred AT the campsite instead of say on a trail somewhere!!! The ongoing failures I tested several times and had various stages of hybrid battery charge, from the 10-20% all the way up and even 70% in my hybrid at least once when this happened to me!

I suspect, based on my reading at JL Forums etc that the primary starting battery on the 4xe was failing! Possibly it was damaged because I was charging / using the "always on" 12 outlet when camping overnight. But that was actually one of the primary reasons I got the 4xe was for camping and THOUGHT that the extra capacity of the hybrid system meant even if showing 0% hybrid that I would never end up "needing a jump"?!?

My hope is that along with the programming and hardward changes in the 2024 to allow that external power station / hooked to hybrid system, that they may have addressed this in other ways as well. IOW, it is really DUMB that I had 25-35% charge in my hybrid battery but the 4xe would not start.

So just a word of caution for the 2021 2022 2023 4xe folks out there camping, you MUST keep your starting battery up at a certain level (don't know what that is) or the 4xe will not start (throws a full hissy fit, flickering lights, clicks, snaps, windshield wipers come on and wont go off..full on demon possession stuff) Running your camping gear via the "starting battery" risks taking that battery below the operating amount needed AND... in my experience having charge on hybrid battery does not help, you are not able to access that via 12v source in the Wrangler.

This spooked me a bit, not starting, and had some other complications and reasons / booked the 4xe into local dealership for warranty work on the battery (and other stuff, leaking coolant), and ended up trading for 2022 Gladiator. So I am not sure of the final analysis on the starting battery but I had explained it needed to be tested etc.

So please do NOT take this as a 4xe bashing by any means, just FYI for future campers, really wish they had made the system to draw from hybrid battery to prevent this NON START issue and maybe mine was a unique case. Loved my 4xe, put 28k miles on it, 8k on that one trip, about 16-17 mpg on avg pulling the Aliner FYI. Ultimately for my future / long distance driving and camping, another 8000 miles coming summer 2024, the hybrid really did not help. However if the 4xe Gladiator had been an option with this new 2024 power system, I WOULD absolutely choose that because I think access to the big battery is a game changer for boondocking / overlanding.

Sam

Would make sense to me that the starting battery and the hybrid battery are two separate systems as they likely run two very different voltages. I'm not overly familiar with the 4xe platform but sounds like for 2024 they have integrated a charging/outlet station similar to some pick up trucks that show people running power tools from them. I know these trucks use the gas engine as a generator to charge the battery if it gets low. Does the new 4xe station do this as well? Or is it only providing charge from the hybrid battery? Is it still using the starting battery to provide power? If so I would still be weary of it leaving me stranded unless it also functioned as a generator like the pick up trucks, turning themselves on to make sure you are never without starting battery.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
The hybrid battery charges the 12v battery with a DC-DC charger (up to 600 watts I heard but can’t confirm), but only when in ACC or run, and it times out after 30 minutes so you will flatten your battery overnight if you put any serious draw on it. Always better to separate house and vehicle power.

Also, the 12v batteries are AGM but still Chrysler garbage.

Bobzdar

Observer
Would make sense to me that the starting battery and the hybrid battery are two separate systems as they likely run two very different voltages. I'm not overly familiar with the 4xe platform but sounds like for 2024 they have integrated a charging/outlet station similar to some pick up trucks that show people running power tools from them. I know these trucks use the gas engine as a generator to charge the battery if it gets low. Does the new 4xe station do this as well? Or is it only providing charge from the hybrid battery? Is it still using the starting battery to provide power? If so I would still be weary of it leaving me stranded unless it also functioned as a generator like the pick up trucks, turning themselves on to make sure you are never without starting battery.

With the power box in generator mode, that's how it operates (engine kicks on periodically).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior