24" fiberglass riser top for last gen Ford E Series vans (extended model)

OK Folks,

I bought a riser top for my E350 EXT... and bought the mold as well. My rig is currently for sale here: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...-out-24-topper-available.207155/#post-2657280

Is there any interest in getting some of these made? They cost about $4K ($3300 absolutely bare bones) to buy one here on the west coast and another $1K to install.

If there is interest I will call around to some glass shops and see what it would be to shoot some of these. They look very similar to these: http://fiberine.com/GVMR/24"_Bubble_Tops.html#8

Attached photo is the actual topper.

IMO, after weighing all the options, we wanted permanent stand up height, not a pop-up... and we would have plenty of inside storage and would not have to use a roof rack/pod any longer :)

What do you all think?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 389

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It should not be hard at all to find a fiberglass tub, boat or other manufacturer to spray up tops for you since you have a mold. That assumes the mold is good. You might has to contract to have 5 or more tops made however they should sell quickly if they are nice and priced reasonable. Finding an installer should not be hard at all as most large metropolitan areas have truck shops that upfit commercial trucks and vans with parts such as these.

There are different methods in which these tops attach to the van. Do you have a picture of the underside of the top and in particular the the side rails to see what is required to attach to the top of the van?

There are different methods in which these tops attach to the van. Do you have a picture of the underside of the top and in particular the the side rails to see what is required to attach to the top of the van?

I do not have a photo of the bottom edge, but it is a straight edge, not a "lip". To install, as I understand it, is a molding piece that is like semi-flexible angle that rivets/screws into the top of the roof and then to the side of the topper. Sealed with RV adhesive/sealant. Apparently there is a molding that hides the rivets/screws on the outside and has a rubber piece that snaps into molding.

My idea for install was to cut out ONLY the sections of top I wanted stand up height... the remaining old roof would make for shelving and storage. In particular the area forward of the first roof cross member and the area to the back of the rear roof cross member. Maybe also leave some old roof as a shelf above the kitchen sink/stove area.

I would already be modifying my E350 if we had not picked up a Sprinter recently!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears