HAM radio/amateur radio FAQ

gary in ohio

Explorer
Do you need to take the tech exam first or can you take the general first?

You technically can take it if you want but if you pass the general and dont pass the tech you dont get a license. You will get a credit and need to take the tech before a license is issued.

Most VEC testers will not allow you to take the general until you have passed the tech test.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thank you, This is something that I've wanted to do for a very long time and thanks to this site I learned the best way to go about doing it.

Reata Rover

Adventurer
This is awesome. I have been trying to get my buddies in the Texas Rovers to get onthe HAM band wagon. I copied and pasted your entire thread into the Texas Rovers portal. Hopefully you dont mind.

mr r2fj

Adventurer
This is awesome. I have been trying to get my buddies in the Texas Rovers to get onthe HAM band wagon. I copied and pasted your entire thread into the Texas Rovers portal. Hopefully you dont mind.

OF course not! Please feel free to distribute this to whoever you like, I'm really trying to bring people into ham!

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Found this fun video of a 6 year old on David Letterman, someone mentioned Dave was a HAM but he looks kinda noob here, this must be before he got his license.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcBjmu7jSmM

hah that's awesome, I spoke to a kid the other day on ham radio that couldn't have been more than 8! While I'll admit these kids are intelligent and obviously driven, they aren't all geniuses! If they can past the test, so can you!

mr r2fj

Adventurer
sweet. I'll start working on the repeater and other details of the FAQ I haven't gotten to yet.

BigJim

Observer
A couple of additional items

Learn how to operate your radio prior to transmitting

Try not to embarrass yourself or annoy the repeater owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste