HAM radio/amateur radio FAQ

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Emergency Communications

Does anyone have a link to a good list of calling frequencies for each band that are used for anyone who has an emergency and needs to reach out?

If there isn't a good link, could we list them here? I think this is probably the most important information for those of us who wish to use HAM in cases of emergency.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
this has several I have used it for locating in multiple states.
http://nwham.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=none

Thank you for posting. This is a list of repeaters, though. I was hoping for a list of commonly used frequencies for when people need to connect to anyone for emergency communications.

I carry with me the ARRL pocket repeater guide, but it's not that common that the repeaters are that close to where I travel while overlanding.

Am I too hopeful that such frequencies exist that are monitored?

Anyone have any info on common HF frequencies in the 10, 20, or 40m bands?

bc_fjc

Observer
I keep a list of HF nets with me... There are normally people monitoring these frequencies when the bands are open. I also make a point of checking into some of these nets when on the trail. Here are a few of the lists I keep with me.
http://www.hfradio.net/nets.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~k7bfl/nwnets.html

I check into the following nets whenever I can and can almost always make contacts on one of these frequencies from the NW with my mobile setup.
Noontime Net on 7.268.5 (daytime)
British Columbia Public Service Net on 3.729 (evenings)
British Columbia/Yukon NTS Traffic Net 3.716 (evenings)

Hope this helps

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Can anyone give me a rough indication of total setup cost? I'm aware that its exponentially more expensive than CB, but was looking to gauge how much you all spent.

Much appreciated,
-Sam

Mashurst

Adventurer
A 2 meter setup that will give ranges like 150miles give or take can be had for less than $200 new with the radio, antenna, and coax plus any wiring do-dads.

I set my first one up with a used Alinco 1900 that I picked up from a local guy for $20. Another guy at the club have a spare antenna that he just gave me and I spent $16 on the mount and coax.

Look at the Yaesu 2900 2 meter. It is as solid as Gibraltar and very affordable.

HF (high frequency or 20m, 40m, 80m and the like) can be more expensive and I am not qualified to talk about it. Perhaps others can cover that but you would want to start with 2 meter anyway as it will give you a place to learn the ropes.

Last edited:
The upper end mobile HF rigs run in the $800 to 900 range, but they also come with 2m and 440 (70cm), so they are three radios in one. You'll need $100 bucks worth of mobile antennas at least, each for a different band, and likely a $200 tuner. Or spend more money on a more complicated multiband antenna. HF antennas are big, and not very trail friendly. I stow mine during travel.

My experience with HF is that the extra noise filtering bells and whistles are well worth the money. My base station, 756 Pro II, made me addicted to these features. They have often made the difference between success or failure with a distant contact.

For mobile use I prefer the Yaesu FT-857D for its compactness, but I hear great things about the very, very popular Icom 706MKII.

gary in ohio

Explorer
The upper end mobile HF rigs run in the $800 to 900 range, but they also come with 2m and 440 (70cm), so they are three radios in one. You'll need $100 bucks worth of mobile antennas at least, each for a different band, and likely a $200 tuner. Or spend more money on a more complicated multiband antenna. HF antennas are big, and not very trail friendly. I stow mine during travel.

While you can get some ham sticks or Hustler mobile antenna pretty cheap, your going to be switching antennas depending on the band you operate.

A quality HF mobile tuner is going to cost more than $200. The "coax" tuners are not going to cut it on HF when mobile. You need a good WHIP/long wire tuner. Even the Icom AH-4 mobile whip tuner is not any good on 80m with whip usable on a mobile, Its wants 20ft of wire.
An SGC 237 will work with a 9ft whip and works well but its $350. The 230 is even better but price is up near $550. Once your in that price range you might as well look at a screw driver antennas.

Dont get me wrong, if all you want is a couple of whips then go with hamsticks or the hustler resonators. If you want full band coverage without wasting your power or burning up coils you need a good tuner and as big a whip as you can manage on your vehicle or a screwdriver antennas (and not the yaesu atas).

Gary

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
A 2 meter setup that will give ranges like 150miles give or take can be had for less than $200 new with the radio, antenna, and coax plus any wiring do-dads.

I set my first one up with a used Alinco 1900 that I picked up from a local guy for $20. Another guy at the club have a spare antenna that he just gave me and I spent $16 on the mount and coax.

Look at the Yaesu 2900 2 meter. It is as solid a Gibraltar and very affordable.

HF (high frequency or 20m, 40m, 80m and the like) can be more expensive and I am not qualified to talk about it. Perhaps others can cover that but you would want to start with 2 meter anyway as it will give you a place to learn the ropes.

Exact info I was looking for.

Thanks very much
Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior