24F battery??

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
I had originally planned on upgrading to a group 31 battery in my 1999 4Runner to run my ARB in conjunction with my solar panel but I may not be able to for the time being so I'm looking for something in the stock size that's bigger and stronger to handle the extra load.

I currently run a 24F duralast Gold... Does anyone have any suggestions for the best battery to run in this size for my needs? I just don't know enough about batteries to figure this out just yet.

I did come across this so am I on the right path?

http://buy.northstarbattery.com/p/nsb-agm-24f-battery

Any help would be appreciated

4x4junkie

Explorer
That one would certainly work... Though that's a lot of coin for such a small battery (especially for one that sounds like it might be temporary).

You might also take a look at the Deka Marine Master #DP24. It's ratings are a little less than the one you linked but the price is close to a whopping 70% less (though if your battery tray clamps down at the bottom flange of the battery to hold it in place, there's a possibility this Deka might not fit).
I have two of the next size up ones (#DP27) in mine.

Or maybe this one? It's more $$$ than the Deka but is AGM, if you really must have AGM...
Duralast Platinum 24F
I think the Duralast Platinum is made by Deka (East Penn) as well.

I'd be tempted to just keep the battery you have (provided it's in good shape). It might not specifically be a deep-cycle type, but it'll probably hold up fine if you only need it to work for another year or so. Reading the Duralast Gold description, it states it has thicker plates & grids, which should help it to stand up to such cycling better than a battery that has thinner plates.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Fwiw, be sure its a "24F" if thats what you are really after.
Its terminals are in reversed orientation of a "24" battery.

Good info... A minor detail I didn't catch, but could certainly break an installation if a cable doesn't reach.
(maybe the battery can be turned around the other direction...)

There aren't many deep-cycle options available outside of the group 24(non-F), 27, 31 and 34/78 sizes. My rig originally took a grp-65, I determined a 27 is a fairly close fit (same length I recall, but a hair narrower & taller). A slight mod to the battery tray (bending the edge over slightly) and it was able to be firmly secured.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Costco sells Interstate batteries at decent prices with good warranties. I purchased an Interstate 24F from Costco two years ago - it was identical to the 24F at the Interstate store and was $20 less.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Thanks for the information everyone... I decided to go with a 27F battery as it's less than two inches wider and has a much bigger capacity... It should fit in the space without too much modification,Mir any at all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12