24v Onboard Air Options

desertrover

Adventurer
Looking back at it, the little ARB compressor/ tire inflation kit I installed in my rangie was probably one of the most useful additions. Now, I'm looking at similar setups for my 404 Unimog. I want a compressor capable of taking 4 37" tires from offroad to highway pressure in around ten minutes. Does anyone have any experience with 24 volt compressors? Currently considering an Extremeaire Magnum.

CJ

762X39

Explorer
I don't have any personal experience with them but Viair has a couple of 24vdc compressors available as well.I have been quite tempted to simply use a 1700 watt sinewave inverter driven from my starter batteries (with the engine running) and drive a small commercial compressor like I use for my air nailer.:coffee:

mudbutt

Explorer
ARB has 24v compressors as well...

I love mine.

All four 32x11.50-15's go from 15 to 30 psi in less than 5 minutes..

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have the 12vdc Extreme Outback Magnum and before that in another rig had the High Output, amazing build quailty and should last forever.
Plus a great company that really supports the Expo community.

iigs

Observer
Now, I'm looking at similar setups for my 404 Unimog.

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but if you have some room in your engine bay, perhaps a York engine-driven compressor would be suitable? Lots of volume/pressure for large Unimog tires and no voltage concerns. :)

desertrover

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for all the options listed, now to do some more research.. I had also considered running a 110v compressor, as I do carry two extra 115ah deep cycles and a very large inverter. I have the space, and it might be the most economical option. I suppose there is also the option of carrying a small genset.

desertrover

Adventurer
I had considered a setup with some type of AC compressor driven by the engine, but I don't really want to go that route due to space and working under that tiny hood. I also don't want to add any additional drag on the engine, as I am already the most underpowered vehicle on the road!

spencyg

This Space For Rent
You could also wire two 12V compressors in series to give them each 12V. It would give you double the air capacity, while at the same time only costing twice as much :)

Spence

Tennmogger

Explorer
I had the same needs. I found a 24v motor (3/4 hp, 1800 [edit: 900 ] rpm) out of a commercial bus air conditioning system, direct coupled it to a York compressor (out of an old Lincoln), used a water well pressure controller that was laying around (50-80 psi) and a relay to cycle the 24v power. It'll pump a 12.5 x 20 tire from 10 to 35 psi in a couple of minutes.

Bob

Looking back at it, the little ARB compressor/ tire inflation kit I installed in my rangie was probably one of the most useful additions. Now, I'm looking at similar setups for my 404 Unimog. I want a compressor capable of taking 4 37" tires from offroad to highway pressure in around ten minutes. Does anyone have any experience with 24 volt compressors? Currently considering an Extremeaire Magnum.

CJ

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger