The world's first...

7wt

Expedition Leader
Living in what amounts to new Italy I can tell you how the vast majority of Italian's make their espresso here, with a stainless stove top Bialetti. I have an aluminum one and it took about a week to build up some really nasty oxidation on the inside of the boiler. My future mother in law has a stainless one that has been used daily for longer than I could say and it still looks great.

http://www.bialettishop.com/MusaMain.htm

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Tradition!

I still carry an Italian stove top espresso maker. In fact, it was my mother's, bought in the 1950's. It may not be pump driven and it doesn't have crema, but it is good.

Now, about those all American onboard air systems. How do we couple our air pump to our coffee maker to get good lefty Euroliberal coffee? THERE is an urgent overland challenge!

(I'm off to make a quiche.)

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Just because the beans are from Illy doesn't guarantee the quality of the coffee. After spending a week in France, I can state unequivocally that cafes all over France butcher their Illy beans.

The most important thing that you can do to improve your coffee is to buy freshly roasted beans and ground them right before brewing the coffee. Using preground beans is like using a three day old baguette to make a sandwich and expecting that the sandwich will taste good.

In the end though, if you don't have a problem drinking stale coffee, more power to you.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Scott, I use a Zassenhaus manual grinder. Check out this page: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.php. The big grinders are good for French press coffee and the Turkish mill is more suited to a finer grind for espresso.

As far as beans go, I buy mostly from Stumptown Roasters. Their coffee ranges from really good to top notch. I suggest that you search out a local roaster first. Coffee is somewhat analogous to Scotch. There are blends that have a nice overall, well rounded flavor and single bean (malt) which will have a more distinctive flavor. Go experiment.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I used the GSI unit for a few trips. The copper pipe is fragile though, and is currently broken. It works well enough that I am going to get it fixed and keep using it, though better protected in storage.

401040Lrg.jpg

For coffee, I just use the Illy pre-ground. In comes in a sturdy metal can that packs well.

Been using one just lke that going on 21 years now. Used it backpacking to the tailgate of my truck after a day of backcountry skiing. Great little piece of gear.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have a Handpresso and it works fine for its intended purpose. But a few drawbacks for me: Single shot at a time that translates into lots of time to make 'spressos for your camp friends :); and you are forced to use coffee pucks which are a freshness/taste compromise; and the cost of the pucks for us 'double-triple shotters'. Having said that I can have a single shot of espresso around that 2:00PM lag time while on the road in about 5-minutes flat using a JetBoil to heat the water. And there literally is no mess to clean up making road side treats more attractive.

I bought one of these last year and just put it through its paces over the past couple months including making 'spressos and capps for up to 8 or so guys every morning. It is fantastic!!! Use whatever grounds/beans you want; double shot; very good crema; and easy to clean.

http://pressoamerica.com/

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
No problem.

Spressomon, Handpresso is introducing a version that has a portafilter, so it can use regular coffee grounds. I emailed them recently and they plan to have it ready for sale in early June. I'll probably get one and see how it would work out on the trail.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
No problem.

Spressomon, Handpresso is introducing a version that has a portafilter, so it can use regular coffee grounds. I emailed them recently and they plan to have it ready for sale in early June. I'll probably get one and see how it would work out on the trail.

Just checked their website and as you know they have the new Wild Dome Pod shown including a vid: Interesting. And it looks like you can just get the WDP to attach to our existing Handpressos. Thanks for the update!

Last edited:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
In theory it really looks promising. Since the water temperature, coffee, tamping, and pressure can be controlled to a certain degree, I think that it is reasonable to expect that the device could make a decent shot of espresso.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
In theory it really looks promising. Since the water temperature, coffee, tamping, and pressure can be controlled to a certain degree, I think that it is reasonable to expect that the device could make a decent shot of espresso.

Now if they could get us a doppio size portafilter. Geez I'm picky...eh?! :coffeedrink:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
One step at a time.

I'm thinking this new Handpresso, a custom sized tamper, and a Zassenhaus Turkish mill grinder just might be what the doctor ordered.

On the other hand, I've been messing around with a $7 Ibrik and grinding up the coffee super finely and have been pretty satisfied with the results. As with the Handpresso, its not going to replace a $15K Synesso, but for the trail it isn't bad at all.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
On the other hand, I've been messing around with a $7 Ibrik and grinding up the coffee super finely and have been pretty satisfied with the results. As with the Handpresso, its not going to replace a $15K Synesso, but for the trail it isn't bad at all.

Even better if you use coffee with cardamom!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior