Expedition TrailBlazer Project

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It's official, the only cool two late model GM/Shivvy's I've ever seen are members of this board (you and 02TahoeMD)... to say I hate GM products is like calling WWII a minor skirmish...

So when I say NICE TRUCK understand what it takes for me to say that about a GM product ;)

Nice rig and I love all of the things you've done to it.

Cheers

Dave

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Great job,

The one of the big things I don't like about the late model Chevy SUV's is the use of so much plastic down low which usually gets ripped off the first time you go off road. You've done a hell of a job blending in the new bumper to the rest of the truck. Once again great job!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Great job,

The one of the big things I don't like about the late model Chevy SUV's is the use of so much plastic down low which usually gets ripped off the first time you go off road. You've done a hell of a job blending in the new bumper to the rest of the truck. Once again great job!
Agreed, and that interior switch pannel was no easy task from the looks of it. I've got it easy, my truck is alll angular folds etc. this thing is all compound curves. Nice job on that switch panel.

Question: how much does the Ram-mount and Lap-Top interfere with the passenger's comfort??? I really think this is the next step for me but I'd like to have my passenger able to stand to ride in my truck for any length of time.

Cheers

Dave

JamesDowning

Explorer
Thanks for the compliments guys! I'm hoping to get some finished pictures this weekend... we'll see.

Question: how much does the Ram-mount and Lap-Top interfere with the passenger's comfort??? I really think this is the next step for me but I'd like to have my passenger able to stand to ride in my truck for any length of time.

To be honest, it's not the most comfortable thing for a guy, especially a larger guy. It kinda forces you to put your legs together, and your left leg rides against the support bar.

However, it can be easily removed in about 5 seconds and leaves only a vertical pipe that is lower than the seat level; so the passenger doesn't even notice it.

My whole goal with this vehicle is to make it "multi-duty": daily driver, lunch bus, stable on the highway, capable off road, and able to support me and my wife during extended trips. So easy versatility is key.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Finally installed and finished!

16.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

12.jpg

:wings:

deadbeat son

Explorer
First, this is an amazing build. That bumper is a beautiful work of art; good job, it looks fantastic! After reading this thread, I've found myself looking closer at Trail Blazers during my daily commute. One thing I've noticed is they seem to have a few low-hanging objects from the rear axle back. For instance, the muffler seems to sit awfully low. I can't tell from your photos, have you done anything to remedy that? The other thing I've noticed is how far inboard and low the rear shock mounts and the mounts next to them (anti-sway bar mounts?) sit, as detailed in the below photo.

Do you have any plans to make new brackets to tuck things up just a bit higher?

Again, great build and amazing bumper!

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Finally installed and finished!

13.jpg

:wings:

James, that turned out just perfect. I am very impressed, and the use of the rubber strip from the original brushguard is great. I think that other Trailblazer owners may come hunting for that bumper. Bravo! :Wow1:

GTKrockeTT

Observer
that bumper looks amazing, as does the rest of the vehicle.:victory:

one question though, the trailblazer is body on frame right? and i'm going under the assumption that the bumper is attached directly to the frame, correct? if so, are you concerned about flex and the bumper rubbing or crushing your headlamp assembly when on the trail?

JamesDowning

Explorer
one question though, the trailblazer is body on frame right? and i'm going under the assumption that the bumper is attached directly to the frame, correct? if so, are you concerned about flex and the bumper rubbing or crushing your headlamp assembly when on the trail?

Good question. I had not thought of this before. You're right, there may be some rubbing at full flex, but I doubt enough to crush the headlights. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the cautionary word!

the muffler seems to sit awfully low. I can't tell from your photos, have you done anything to remedy that? The other thing I've noticed is how far inboard and low the rear shock mounts and the mounts next to them (anti-sway bar mounts?) sit, as detailed in the below photo.

Do you have any plans to make new brackets to tuck things up just a bit higher?

The truck came with a muffler located under the passenger compartment, and a 'resonator' located aft of the rear wheels. I just cut the resonator off, and currently the exhaust terminates about a foot aft of the axle. I'll eventually curve it around to exit behind the tire.

Yes, the control arms, shock mounts, and sway bar do hang a little low. I have no plans as of now to relocate them. Maybe I can get some small skidplates fabbed up for them. I would, however, like to somehow reposition the sway bar. When going through thick mud, the bar acts somewhat like the tail hook of a navy aircraft.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions!!

JamesDowning

Explorer
trailpic1.jpg

sunset2.jpg

sunset1.jpg

You may have picked up on it... I found a new toy! Bridging ladders:
2.jpg

I used some hardware originally meant to mount a shovel and axe. Since I used the quick fists for the shovel, I no longer had a real use for the brackets. Luckily by changing the main bolt to a longer bolt, I was able to adapt them to hold my bridging ladders.
3.jpg

I used a combination of two washers (one big, one small), a rubber stopper (with a hole drilled in it), and a wing nut:

4.jpg

The bridges mount in 6 points. It mounts on the two bolts, the two load bars for the rack, and the top of the brackets (points labeled red):

5.jpg

Of course, you've got to test it out. Lots of popping and snapping sounds, but they seemed to pop back into shape just fine!

6.jpg

Found on Ebay. The seller was infopec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles