Expedition TrailBlazer Project

Fantastic build truely. I love an original approach and this really is.

I'm blown away about the HP ratings of the I-5... 275hp REALLY! that's nearly v8 numbers. I also just read a review on trailblazers that states the latest I-5's are pushing 295hp and 277ft lbs :Wow1: Unfortunately the rest of the review isn't favorable for this seemingly powerful mid size SUV.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Thanks guys!

The standard engine in the TB is a 4.2L I6. The rating is 275 hp and similar tq numbers. Tons of power, but could feel sluggish on the factory tune. I upgraded that a month or so ago.

Anyways, heres a few trail pics from today. This was a 'test day' for the equipment. I hadn't yet used the rock sliders to their full ability, and I wanted to get some experience with some larger rocks. Anyways, here are some snapshots:

2.jpg

3.jpg

Some of the cool views:
5-1.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Putting the new ladders to use:
11.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

Overall it was a successful day of learning and experimenting. A few good dents and scrapes for show and tell even...
:smiley_drive:

JamesDowning

Explorer
can u do a SAS on that ?

I assume with the right amount of money, it could be done. Would it be easy?... no. I've been following eXpeditionXterra's build up. He's doing an SAS to his. If I ever did upgrade, I'd have to follow a similar method.

However, for the trails I tackle, another inch of lift and some stiffer front springs should suffice. I will likely stick to that for a while.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Well, with the new bumper, the radiator stuck down below the bumper by a few inches. I've been very cautious lately with rocks because of this. The lower endcap of the radiator is extremely susceptible to road and trail damage when it's hanging out like that. So it was time for some protection.

First, the foam-board prototype:

18.jpg

The 3D model designed around the foam prototype:
19.jpg

Finally, the finished product, stamped and bent:

20.jpg

I went with an aluminum design. I had done FEA analysis, and found that for most hits, I didn't need steel. Granted, if i were to drive it straight into a large rock, it will bend... but that's why I have a spare... (you heard right, I have an extra!)

The bolts at the engine side bolt through my oil pan skidplate, then five grade 5 bolts attach at the bumper. Should be plenty to keep the skidplate in place.

21.jpg

This photo gives you a view of the inside of the plate. It mounts to the bottom of the bumper so the bolts won't be stressed in tension if the plate takes a hit. On the engine side it is further reinforced by the oilpan skidplate, as it shares the same bend point.

There's about a 1/4" of clearance to the radiator brackets... just enough to provide protection in case I bend the plate.

22.jpg

:elkgrin:

cowboy63645

Adventurer
looks really good, I am gonna have to keep this in mind since I have the front tore off my trailblazer! I am thinking a new bumper and skid plate are in order since I got my lift from mark!!

JamesDowning

Explorer
Field Kitchen Case

It seems the common theme among all cargo is to organize it into groups and condense it into easy-to-access cases.

I have been carrying around my grille and all associated cooking items separately for a while now. It seemed everything was hidden in a separate case or tub. So like the recovery equipment, organization was needed.

I found a few used cases at work, and went to town with my pocket knife and cored them out by cutting out small peices of plastic here and there. The end result turned out to be a decent field kitchen case.

One case is the field kitchen, and the other is completely cored out and holds dry foods, plates, cups, and other misc. kitchen items.

kitchencase1.JPG

In the kitchen case, everything is held in place by straps, or is wedged under a nook of plastic. I just got extremely lucky with it all fitting as it did. There's still a little room for some other things... maybe some mini salt and pepper shakers?

kitchencase2.JPG

For what it is... I'm pretty happy with it.

I've also been hunting down a winch that was supposed to arrive this past week... don't you love backorders?

Last edited:

JamesDowning

Explorer
Differential Guard

Just a small update...

Differential protection:

diff-spider.jpg

While the axle housing is quite stout, the differential cover is somewhat susceptible to damage. The cover could be dented or bent at an edge by a rock (or other foreign object), which may allow fluid to leak out. The Purple Cranium guard reinforces the lower mounting flange of the diff cover (where it may get bent by a rock sliding by), and also protects the center of the cover (hey, we all have to reverse once in a while in rocks). :ylsmoke:

Found at: http://www.purplecranium.com/

Last edited:
Cool build. Those cases look like they were made for your stuff. So where does one have to work to get cases like that? Or are they available for sale somewhere?

JamesDowning

Explorer
They are DeWalt cases. I've used them elsewhere for recovery and repair gear too. I just paint over the logo and cut out any plastic I don't need:

repair-recovery.jpg

recovery-straps.jpg

recovery-chain.jpg

I've also used BTI Systra Modul cases for other gear, such as my medical and survival kits:

survival1.jpg

survival-rations.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior