$299 scratch and dent fridges on ebay

Strizzo

Explorer
ok dump question. by looking at a cigarette adapter plug how would i hook up directly to the battery?
i have a heavy duty cig lighter plug with alligator clips that i'll be trying out connected directly to the battery. otherwise, the positive is the center and negative is on the outside, if you have some test leads that are heavy enough gage wire, you could clip those to the plug.

not sure if it will help or not because my battery is only putting out 12.5 volts, where it should be making 12.8 or so. if that doesn't work, i'll hook it up to the 48 series in the g/f's volvo, if that doesn't get the thing running right, i know its the fridge.

thing is, it seems to do fine if the truck is running and i hook it up. it seems like something about starting the truck with it hooked up throws it off. maybe its tripping the low voltage cutoff and turning the compressor off?

i pulled the cover off last night to see if there is anything obviously wrong, and didn't find anything other than the power wires to the compressor controller weren't seated all the way down on their spade connectors. started it up and set to 20f, checking the temps at various intervals. i started at about 4:45, and it took until almost 10:30 to get down to 22 degrees. is this normal from what everyone else has experienced? it stayed at 30 degrees for over half an hour as well, while the rest of the time it was dropping 5-9 degrees every 15 minutes. any ideas why it would do that?

BirfMark

Observer
So I wired in some additional 12v Marinco-style locking power outlets, to run the fridge in my Land Cruiser. Fridge runs great now, no issues at all. I did notice however, that after unplugging it from the power outlet (on the truck end, not the fridge end) that the center tip of the 12v plug was pretty darn hot, even after only running for 5 minutes or so. I swapped the factory Edgestar 12v cord end for the corresponding male end designed to work with the outlets I have. Still gets pretty warm - is this normal?

These are the outlets I'm using: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRC5Y/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com[/ame]

and these are the plugs: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KRC5O/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com[/ame]

Xterabl

Adventurer
I must confess I've never felt the connector after running the fridge. I probably can't check this until the weekend. Off the top of my head...hot metal implies small metal...as in undersized wiring. But I can't imaging the wiring is *that* small in your Landcruiser.
Personally, I bit the bullet and ran 10 gauge +/- wires from my fuse block under the hood all the way to the back area. So, if I my plug terminals don't show any heat, this might be the reason.
Interested to hear from others on this....

18seeds

Explorer
i have a heavy duty cig lighter plug with alligator clips that i'll be trying out connected directly to the battery. otherwise, the positive is the center and negative is on the outside, if you have some test leads that are heavy enough gage wire, you could clip those to the plug.

thanks. gave it a try and now luck :( don't know what else to try. I also can seem to change the temp settings.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I just got this cool form letter from Compact Appliance. What a joke. They obviously have no idea what is going on.

Dear Robert Lefebvre,
First of all, thank you for your recent purchase from the Living Direct network. We sincerely appreciate your business.

Your satisfaction is of utmost importance to our company, which is why we are writing today.

Recently, we found an issue in our shipping tracking system. Some customers may have experienced difficulty tracking the online status of their shipment. While the error did not affect the actual arrival or timeliness of the shipment, we are sensitive to the fact that this error might have caused you inconvenience while tracking or anticipating the arrival of your order.

In addition, the increased confusion during this timeframe caused a secondary problem which we also regret: longer than normal wait times for customer service inquiries.

If you are still experiencing difficulties in reaching our service department please feel free to contact us directly:
Jason Roussos - President Jason.Roussos@LivingDirect.com
Drew Leakey - Vice President, Marketing Drew.Leakey@LivingDirect.com
Once again, thank you very much for shopping with us! We hope to continue to earn your business.

Gratefully,
The Living Direct Team

You didn't earn my business. Morons.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Got the same note. I didn't have a tracking issue!

I recently bought a NEW fridge from them, and there were some irregularities with the tracking system. The workaround was to manually search on the UPS code, because their websites tie-in tracking was all fudged up for several days. I even got an "item shipped" notice 3 days after the fridge arrived.

I got the same letter from them, and I assumed this was what they were referring to. I've had great service from the "new products" side of things.

Strizzo

Explorer
I recently bought a NEW fridge from them, and there were some irregularities with the tracking system. The workaround was to manually search on the UPS code, because their websites tie-in tracking was all fudged up for several days. I even got an "item shipped" notice 3 days after the fridge arrived.

I got the same letter from them, and I assumed this was what they were referring to. I've had great service from the "new products" side of things.
i had a similar issue with mine, but i figured it was because it went through ebay rather than their regular site.

4x4junkie

Explorer
When I get mine, I will do my best to recreate the OJ fridge test. Somebody has to do it.

Since this thread is up, I'll post my own findings since I did exactly that with mine a couple years ago (recreating their '07 test, as I've still yet to be made privy to the '10 one)

Environmental:

Room temp:
80°F (constant)

Input voltage:
12.5VDC

My results would have put it only slightly behind the Engel (older ARB) and Luna units overall in that test (the Engel took much longer to cool down however), and well ahead of the Fridge-Freeze and Waeco units.

Current consumption:
1.87A (Normal mode-averaged/cycling)
3.8A (Normal mode-running)
4.5A (Fast Freeze)
5.6A (Startup current)

Energy consumption over 24hrs to maintain 30°:
44.8Ah (or 560WH).

My fridge has one modification that potentially could've affected the test (I didn't think to undo it during the test): I sealed the gap on the inside around the condenser & cooling fan using some foam rubber, reducing the amount of hot air circulating around inside the compressor compartment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan