29ers are yesterday's news

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Check this out. :Wow1:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=381562&page=1

I'd like to try one out. But at just shy of 6', I think these would be better suited for the 6'+. But that's what I said about the 29ers at first, though... :D

Anyone ever ride one of these things?

P1020540.jpg

nonamegiven

Observer
Interesting bike. I've never seen a double disc set-up. Those are some beefy spokes. Might be good for cruising, I'm not sure how it would it handle some switchbacks on the trails. I'll kick it old school and stick with the 26s.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
It's funny, because now the 26ers are decked out with gazillion carbon/exotic suspension parts, 20" of travel, etc. Whereas some of these smaller 29er/36" companies are coming out with rigid frames, forks, single speeds, etc and mostly all are fabricating those themselves! I'd say they're sticking to more of the old school roots. New school is the old school. :D

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Check this out. :Wow1:

I think these would be better suited for the 6'+.

Categorically false!
l_5917df5dc11744af963e877b402c6a90.jpg

One time I was riding being a team of semi pros, and they stopped to do some repairs on a teammate’s bike at the top of a hill that none of them could get over the last set of rocks at the top. I made it over and they all said “DAAAAMMMM he made it!”
Ive owned 3 29ers, there are advantages and disadvantages, but mostly advantages, and have little to do with a riders size given the frame size is correct. The new Gary Fishers have some good geometry, might take some getting used to. The first time I rode the new one its quick turning got me good! It’s like a jet fighter, but the front tire need some good diagonal treads for steering. Also the steering tracks sharper at higher speeds, you’ll need to remember that.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
So we're moving from tunable suspension in the form of shocks and forks to un-tunable suspension in the form of wheels?

Maybe because I haven't ridden a 29, but I see no need for me to ride one. 26 works just fine for me, but then I've never been one of the "(Insert toy here) of the Month Club" members either.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
I should also add that there are lots of new widgets for bikes these days, more so then ever in the history of the wheel! You can find widgets for any bike.....

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A friend who owned a company that made such widgets called it "Bicycle Jewelry" in close company.

1speed

Explorer
So we're moving from tunable suspension in the form of shocks and forks to un-tunable suspension in the form of wheels?

Maybe because I haven't ridden a 29, but I see no need for me to ride one. 26 works just fine for me, but then I've never been one of the "(Insert toy here) of the Month Club" members either.

I was like you about the 29'er thing. My main opposition was I had several high end forks, wheel-sets and Salsa frames. But being 6'3" and 215lbs I always felt like I was on a kid's bike when I had 26" wheels, even on Salsa 22" frames which are huge. I now have two Q-Ball steel 29er hard tail frames with White Bros. Magic 29er forks, one single speed and one with gears. I am much more comfortable on the 29ers and would not go back to 26" wheels. If you haven't tried a 29'er I recommend you do.

If you have a 36" inseam, want to stay with 26" wheels and need a couple of Salsa frames, let me know.:sombrero:

As for the "toy of the month club", I think they have moved on to 650c wheels. But then again I haven't paid much attention lately as I like my current rides so much!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I am so yesterday

I really like my Kona Unit (added gears) 29er hard tail. I tend to ride hardtail in the winter, saving my Kona Dawg primo or Kona Stinky Deluxe for the dryer seasons. After a photo album full of xrays, I stopped hucking when its wet out.

At 5'11" 225 (BEEFY!) I've been bending my rear 29er rim again this spring.

The theory behind the extra diameter of the 29er wheel actually does work in the real world. It goes over wet cross roots better, rocks better, everything. I love the geometry of the Unit. I can keep up with my skinny friends on this bike.

But the Dawg still rails the corners better and is my main bike. 26" with 5" front and rear travel.

We have plenty of big stuff on Galbraith Mountain for the Stinky (8" front and rear) and I can still pedal it to the top.

My theory regarding "don't need a 29er" is the same as everything: If you're not in the market, don't try it". I haven't paddled a new model white water kayak since the Wave Sport Score came out. (2002?) I'm happy with my quiver of 7 white water boats, time to put money into my van.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I just road my Dawg (26" with 5" front and rear) for the first time in a while after riding my Unit 29er hardtail all winter and let me tell you, it handles like a dream compared to the Unit. I was flickin it around like a BMX bike. Wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78