2m HAM (Dual): Monitor two 2m frequencies?

craig333

Expedition Leader
Well both the Mic and the faceplate have a button to change sides. I don't prerun or drive anything over 50 on somewhat flat dirt roads, pressing the button on the mic has always been super easy for me ! It can be a little bit confusing to know what side you're receiving and what side you're transmitting if there's a lot of activity on both sides. I generally keep the repeaters on a lower volume and only listen out for information and mayday calls.

I would definitely bet on the fact that the TM-V7 has that same capability. Same as yours, the IC2730A has two speaker outputs: one has both channels if you wish to run a single external speaker (I do, works great) or you can run them separately to have a speaker for each side of the radio.
Wow, I hope my mic doesn't have that capability, I'll be mighty embarrassed if it does! My 2730 in the Jeep is separated and way up under the dash. Trying to plug in the correct speaker port for programming is a pita. Something to keep in mind when mounting it up.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The Kenwood TM-V71A and TM-D710GA both have dual VFO's. Ability to listen to two frequencies at same time and when transmitting on one frequency, can still listen on the other.

On my TM-V71A, I have connected a single external speaker (there is an option for two external speakers). I have it set up where primary goes to external speaker and secondary goes to internal speaker rather than mixing the audios into a single speaker. That way I can differentiate which VFO the transmission came in on.

lugueto

Adventurer
Wow, I hope my mic doesn't have that capability, I'll be mighty embarrassed if it does! My 2730 in the Jeep is separated and way up under the dash. Trying to plug in the correct speaker port for programming is a pita. Something to keep in mind when mounting it up.

top right button on the mic changes sides!

Attachments

• download (4).jpeg
    download (4).jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

fourfa

Observer
Alinco DR–735 is true dual VFO too, works this way default out of the box. Been very happy with mine. Might still be on BFCM sales today…

craig333

Expedition Leader
Just finished installing the FTM-6000. Not a dual vfo but it should do fine for my purposes. Perhaps I should have given the Alinco a look. Gets nice reviews.'

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just finished installing the FTM-6000. Not a dual vfo but it should do fine for my purposes. Perhaps I should have given the Alinco a look. Gets nice reviews.'
The higher end single band Yaesu radios have a pretty effective dual watch and priority scan. That can work as long as you don't need to actively monitor two conversations, which normally unless you're doing emcomm or similar nets you usually don't. And even then it's the net controller who might really benefit or even need to anyway. Two VFOs is handy I suspect to most hams when they want to run APRS in parallel. I run two radios, one a single VFO 2/70 and the other a dedicated data radio for APRS, but it would be nice to condense into one radio and one antenna. It's too bad Kenwood stopped making the TM-V71 and the ones that come up are spendy.

DaveNay

Adventurer
The Kenwood TM-V71A and TM-D710GA both have dual VFO's. Ability to listen to two frequencies at same time and when transmitting on one frequency, can still listen on the other.

On my TM-V71A, I have connected a single external speaker (there is an option for two external speakers). I have it set up where primary goes to external speaker and secondary goes to internal speaker rather than mixing the audios into a single speaker. That way I can differentiate which VFO the transmission came in on.
This is the exact same thing I did on my TM-V71A. I placed the external speaker all the way over near the passenger side A pillar and routed the "right" VFO to it. The extreme audio separation makes it immediately apparent what channel is active.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior