2m HAM (Dual): Monitor two 2m frequencies?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
So the FTM-500, while advertised/listed as 2m and 70cm, can be programmed to listen to two 2m frequencies?
Maybe, I'd have to read the manual. I'd be very surprised if it could not do 2m+2m or 70cm+70cm at the same time. There may be some limitations, though. My dual band/dual VFO Yaesu radios can only do extended receive on the main band, meaning air band AM, wide band broadcast FM, etc. But both sides can do the core standard 2m/70cm FM.

Last edited:
I set my Kenwood up this way. Very useful for long rallies where you would have a general frequency for the rally info/ etc, then a frequency for your traveling buddies. What I ended up having to do was use an external speaker for one of the transceivers. That way I could tell which frequency was coming over, otherwise it was just a guessing game.

It's been a while but on my Kenwood I did have to go through the menu and tell it to use VHF and/or UHF on both radios.

Here is one that I recently came across that looks interesting. Don't know anything about them but it does say you can have the same frequency range on both radios, i.e. VHF/VHF. You can also change the background color on the display for each radio. This would allow you to identify which side is receiving, etc.

craig333

Expedition Leader
The 2730 can definitely do two 2m frequencies at the same time though I can you from experience its difficult to listen to two conversations at the same time :) For what you want I don't think you will want to "scan". As for which vfo transmits, on my radios you must manually push a button to choose which vfo is active to transmit. Be careful you don't accidentally transmit on the run frequency when you meant to chat with your friends. I may have done this more than once :)

Shawn686

Observer
Does this indicate that this one would NOT listen to two 2m frequencies?

View attachment 807903

What you circled in red indicates the frequency range that the radio is able to listen. So in the case of this radio you can hear any frequency in those ranges.

The spec you are looking for is called dual watch, priority watch or dual receive. The radio you linked above its called priority watch.

The one you linked can listen to 2 freqs at the same time, one on the a side and one on the B side. With this radio you can also set one "priority channel" on the A side and one on the B side. What the means is a "priority channel" is checked once every 5 seconds for traffic.

So you could set A side to 140.000 mhz and B side to 140.250 mhz and it will listen to both.

You could also set a "priority channel" on both the A and B side, and effectively listen to 4 frequencies. In that case you would be listening to both 140.000mhz and 140.250mhz at the same time and every 5 seconds it would check what ever "priority channels" you have set to see if there is traffic.

I do not own the above radio, but this is from the radio manual

Hope that helps

Shawn

lugueto

Adventurer
As mentioned, yes dual VFO radios will listen to two frequencies at the same time and only be able to transmit on one side at any given time, which you select. You can move freely between both sides. It could be VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF or VHF/UHF (and viceversa). You can toggle between transmit sides super quickly and easily.

I personally own an Icom 2730A for this precise reason: I wanted to be able to monitor the local repeaters while travelling on one side and have my convoy on the other. It works GREAT. Also, It was the only analog dual VFO radio I could find out of the reputable brands, which was another very specific item I was looking for, I dont need digital modes.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
My quad band FT-8900R will do that. I use it for medical Events. Ex: One side) Dispatch, one side my teams, etc.

I don’t think Yaesu makes the 8900R anymore. It can be a lot. As far as staying organized, keeping track, and changing things quickly. When I bought it, it was something like $600, not including the special antenna.

It may be better to use two handhelds with speaker/mics though? As well as giving you extra portability, and redundancy… Advice from someone who has spent a lot of time on multiple radios for natural disasters and emergency work. Everything is a tradeoff though. And I think radio prices have come down a lot.

woytovich

Observer
My quad band FT-8900R will do that. I use it for medical Events. Ex: One side) Dispatch, one side my teams, etc.

I don’t think Yaesu makes the 8900R anymore. It can be a lot. As far as staying organized, keeping track, and changing things quickly. When I bought it, it was something like $600, not including the special antenna.

It may be better to use two handhelds with speaker/mics though? As well as giving you extra portability, and redundancy… Advice from someone who has spent a lot of time on multiple radios for natural disasters and emergency work. Everything is a tradeoff though. And I think radio prices have come down a lot.
I currently have a 2m handheld and a single band mobile in the truck. Certainly those will do the job... and since I'm not needing the dual "listen" function frequently....

craig333

Expedition Leader
As mentioned, yes dual VFO radios will listen to two frequencies at the same time and only be able to transmit on one side at any given time, which you select. You can move freely between both sides. I can be VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF or VHF/UHF (and viceversa). You can toggle between transmit sides super quickly and easily.

I personally own an Icom 2730A for this precise reason: I wanted to be able to monitor the local repeaters while travelling on one side and have my convoy on the other. It works GREAT. Also, It was the only analog dual VFO radio I could find out of the reputable brands, which was another very specific item I was looking for, I dont need digital modes.
Fairly easy to switch if you aren't bouncing along a dirt road :)

As mentioned, yes dual VFO radios will listen to two frequencies at the same time and only be able to transmit on one side at any given time, which you select. You can move freely between both sides. I can be VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF or VHF/UHF (and viceversa). You can toggle between transmit sides super quickly and easily.

I'm pretty sure my dual band Kenwood TM-V7a can monitor two channels, same band at the same time. I'll need to fire it up and refresh my memory. I removed it from the truck while I was having the pop-up topper installed.

In addition to the built in speaker facing up, the rear panel has dual phono jacks, one speaker for each band (or each monitoring channel)

lugueto

Adventurer
Fairly easy to switch if you aren't bouncing along a dirt road :)

Well both the Mic and the faceplate have a button to change sides. I don't prerun or drive anything over 50 on somewhat flat dirt roads, pressing the button on the mic has always been super easy for me ! It can be a little bit confusing to know what side you're receiving and what side you're transmitting if there's a lot of activity on both sides. I generally keep the repeaters on a lower volume and only listen out for information and mayday calls.
I'm pretty sure my dual band Kenwood TM-V7a can monitor two channels, same band at the same time. I'll need to fire it up and refresh my memory. I removed it from the truck while I was having the pop-up topper installed.

In addition to the built in speaker facing up, the rear panel has dual phono jacks, one speaker for each band (or each monitoring channel)

I would definitely bet on the fact that the TM-V7 has that same capability. Same as yours, the IC2730A has two speaker outputs: one has both channels if you wish to run a single external speaker (I do, works great) or you can run them separately to have a speaker for each side of the radio.

kidphc

Does the radio "stay" on the frequency that broadcast last... for some period of time?

If you want to reply how do you select the frequency to broadcast on?
It will stay on frequency till you change or scan.

To transmit, you need to choose the appropriate vfo, select it and transmit.

Fortunately, on the ftm300,ftm400 and ftm500. There are a/b buttons on the mic to choose the vfo or simply choose it on the face.

I chose the ftm400 and didn't upgrade because:

The ftm400 has the largest screen of the three. (Mostly for the touch screen for aprs).

I wanted it to use smsgte and winlink via aprs.

Aprs was the biggest deal breaker for me. Yes, the kewood is a better aprs radio. But to fully leverage it, I would want a laptop. I however, don't have the space really for a laptop in the driver area of the lc100.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior