2nd gen Montero (V20) versus 3rd gen 4Runner

Carnutbmw

Hello all,

My name is Frans, I live in The Netherlands and I am very much a newbie in the overlanding scene. My intention is to start doing easy trails in mountainous areas in Europe this summer, and see how I like it.

It seems wise to start with a stock vehicle, I am currently preparing to decide on what vehicle to buy. After browsing various forums and reading lots of car books/magazines, and taking into account my limited budget, I have narrowed down the choices to the following vehicles:
  1. 2nd generation Mitsubishi Montero (V20, 1991-1998, 3.5 litre petrol);
  2. 3rd generation Toyota 4Runner (N180, 1996-2002, 3.4 litre petrol);
  3. 2nd generation Toyota Landcruiser Prado (J90, 1996-2002, 3.4 litre petrol) - I believe this model was never sold in North America.

In Europe these vehicles are quite hard to come by in a good condition. Most of them have a lot of rust, biblical mileages, and many have been used for towing heavy loads. In addition the 3rd gen 4Runner was never sold in Europe. For those reasons I am contemplating to import a car from Japan. I've been asking around on various Toyota- and Mitsubishi forums, but it's probably wise to get some unbiased opinions as well :) .

Do of any of you have experiences with (both) Mitsubishi's and/or Toyota's of the models mentioned? The main points of interest are:
  • reliability, and longevity of engines, drive train components and suspension components;
  • parts availability;
  • how badly these cars rust.

Comparing both brands on these issues is an important input for my decison on what car to buy. Any opinions, or hints on where to find comparative information are highly appreciated !

Regards,
Frans

dos531

I would say don't buy a car that's not sold in your country if you care about parts availability. Those are all going to be good reliable vehicles if you can find a well taken care of example. In the US the toyota trucks are way overpriced so the Montero is a much better value here.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
You are going to need to freshen any 20 year old plus vehicle if you want it to be reliable for overlanding. There were a lot more 4Runners sold in USA than Monteros and therefore parts are more readily available. Near me it s difficult to find Gen 2 Monteros even for sale, let alone a good one. I'd say that the asking price for similar mileage / condition / age 4Runner is 2x the price of a similar Montero. This is a very general statement thou.

We did not get the J90 here in either Toyota or Lexus branding.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Mine is slowly rusting but it is mostly all cosmetic. Everything that matters was made heavy enough that it is still doing the job even with rust. I am always amazed at how the brackets underneath the truck are still in great shape, they still feel solid and strong, even 20 years on and with rust.

nasko

Adventurer
I meant to answer in your other thread on the Toyota side, but since I am here... In general there are many other options in Europe that we do not get here in NA. Nissan Patrol, 70 Series Land Cruiser, the Defender 110. Pretty much any of the ones you have listed or the ones I have listed will do the job well for you, it is more of a case of finding a nice one. Being 20 years old, IMO, the initial build quality is not as important as the maintenance and the use that the truck has had.
If I were you, I would search all across Europe, especially Southern Europe, for the best condition truck I can find, not necessarily focusing on particular brand or model. Any and all of these were made well, they all have their quirks and particular maintenance issues, but if it was well looked after and you look after it, it should last. In general people look at Toyota as the pinnacle of Overlanding vehicles, but in all honesty Mitsubishi and Nissan are not far behind, if at all.

Carnutbmw

I would say don't buy a car that's not sold in your country if you care about parts availability. Those are all going to be good reliable vehicles if you can find a well taken care of example. In the US the toyota trucks are way overpriced so the Montero is a much better value here.

You definitely have a point there. Although the 4Runner/Hilux Surf has the same underpinnings, engine and gearbox as the Landcruiser 95 - which WAS sold in Europe - there are obviously quite a few parts which are different. I asked several shops specializing in 4x4 Toyota's, and they told me parts shouldn't be a problem. But I imagine there is still a risk that obtaining parts which are unique to the 4Runner may take a bit longer.

As far as value is concerned, it's the same in Europe as well as Japan. Landcruisers and Hilux Surfs are more expensive that Montero's.

Carnutbmw

You are going to need to freshen any 20 year old plus vehicle if you want it to be reliable for overlanding. There were a lot more 4Runners sold in USA than Monteros and therefore parts are more readily available. Near me it s difficult to find Gen 2 Monteros even for sale, let alone a good one. I'd say that the asking price for similar mileage / condition / age 4Runner is 2x the price of a similar Montero. This is a very general statement thou.

We did not get the J90 here in either Toyota or Lexus branding.

Yep, Montero's are better value, but the V20's are few and far between in europe as well. In Japan chances are better, but in terms of availability the J90 would be the best bet.

Carnutbmw

I meant to answer in your other thread on the Toyota side, but since I am here... In general there are many other options in Europe that we do not get here in NA. Nissan Patrol, 70 Series Land Cruiser, the Defender 110. Pretty much any of the ones you have listed or the ones I have listed will do the job well for you, it is more of a case of finding a nice one. Being 20 years old, IMO, the initial build quality is not as important as the maintenance and the use that the truck has had.
If I were you, I would search all across Europe, especially Southern Europe, for the best condition truck I can find, not necessarily focusing on particular brand or model. Any and all of these were made well, they all have their quirks and particular maintenance issues, but if it was well looked after and you look after it, it should last. In general people look at Toyota as the pinnacle of Overlanding vehicles, but in all honesty Mitsubishi and Nissan are not far behind, if at all.

Indeed there are many options, and I have considered most of them. However, Nissan Patrol and 70 series Landcruiser are generally more expensive, which applies to the Defender as well. The Defender is also a bit too agricultural for my taste. A Landrover Discovery could be an option, but in terms of reliability it's lagging behind the Japs.

The Jeep Cherokee XJ used to be very interesting, but in Europe it has gained a classic status during the past few years, which means prices have gone up to prohibitive levels (for good cars without rust, anyways). It's also a bit cramped, if I'd want to sleep in it.

The ZJ Grand Cherokee is still quite cheap in Europe, but almost all of them have the full time 4WD transfer case, which doesn't last as long as the NP242 mostly found in the XJ Cherokee. And the KJ Cherokee/Liberty doesn't seem to get the best reviews with regard to reliability and longevity.

Thus, it seemed to me that the Toyota 90 series and the Mitsubishi V20 range are the best options - provided I can find one with minimal rust.

Carnutbmw

I am now in doubt as to whether I should also include the Montero V60 (2000-2006). I left it out at first because in German car magazines it was heavily criticized for rusting badly, gearboxes and suspension parts wearing quickly, and oil leaks.

On the other hand, there are very many positive user ratings to be found on e.g. edmunds.com and everyauto.com. On these websites an overwhelming majority rates the V60 Montero very highly on reliability and quality. And I assume not all of these owners live in California, there must be some among them who drive on salted roads during winter.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions on the Montero V60 !

Carnutbmw

I was under the impression the Montero V60 (1999-2006) was reasonably well sold in North America.

Any opinions around here? I need your help :)

plh

Explorer
I was under the impression the Montero V60 (1999-2006) was reasonably well sold in North America.

Any opinions around here? I need your help :)

These are calendar year sales numbers for Monteros in USA. I'd assume that the CY2001 includes some MY2000 (Gen 2.5) vehicles, and the CY2007 are carried over MY2006 (last year MY here)

V60 was sold as MY2001 thru MY2006 in USA.

CY2007 401
CY2006 1609
CY2005 2778
CY2004 5181
CY2003 8839
CY2002 19181
CY2001 24802

Rough total: 77,000 over 7 years.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
If you want to get really picky it's 896,764 light and light-medium duty F-series, (150-450) not including class 5 and up medium duty trucks.

But my estimation that Ford sold more F150's in a bad month last year than the whole run of Gen3 Monteros was not absolutely accurate, if they sold 77k Gen3 Monteros in the USA and 59k F-series (light and light-medium) in January 2018. It's not a bad way to contextualize the sales numbers though. Another way to look at it is that Toyota sold 77k 4runners in 2002 after selling 90k in 2001 and before selling 109k in 2003 and another 114k in 2004..

Regardless. It’s misleading. Everyone applies it to the f150 when it’s not just the f150.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears