2nd Gen Rear HC Bumper Build (Pics)

tweeek

Observer
Being that I might build my own also, I was batting around some ideas here. Let me share.

So having a DUAL swing out was the plan. The way you have yours, was it due to looks? Weight? or just because thats the way you wanted it? I ask this because my thoughts are WEIGHT and FIELD OF VISION. Firstly, With the wheel and tire, you are roughly at 90# right? 3 jerry cans, FULL (5.3gal/) @6#/gal =~95# roughly the same weight give or take a couple pounds. OS that wouldn't matter so much as the field of vision. Putting the spare behind the passenger side, hinders your view if you look over your right shoulder. Having it on the DRIVERS side would be a better choice. Thats the way I look at it at least.

Besides, I would be more concerned for my fuel than my tire every time I looked over my shoulder. More likely to loose the fuel to a bandit than the tire. ;)

Again, I noticed that one of the cans is actually an OBW rather than fuel. But still, shorter behind the passenger for better field of vision.

Field of view was very low on my priority list. I have lived without using the rearview mirror in almost every truck I have owned. If I am on an extended trip, there is more than enough crap under my canopy I cant see out the window anyway.

I was however, concerned about weight. Im sure 2 cans and the tire would be fine if latched down, but what really changed my mind to go dual was seeing the huge swing radius I needed with the one giant arm. Something I never really though about until I swung it open the few times while fabbing.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

tweeek

Observer
For those of you who have built your own bumpers, what are you using to isolate/rest the swingarm on when it is closed? Polyurethane or Delrin? A high density rubber? I am having a hard time sourcing something to isolate vibration and support the weight of the swingarm when latched!

Box Rocket

Use some nylon (similar to Delrin). Cheapest route is to go buy a thick Nylon cutting board and cut it into the peices you need.

Here's how it did it on my 80 Series Cruiser bumper.

Gregster

Observer
So far so good, it looks great. As far as the position for mounting the spare wheel/tire goes, considering that the Tacomas already have a lean towards the drivers side with the fuel tank, battery, and driver all on that side, you may want to place the spare on the passenger side to help even out the side to side load on the suspension. Remember, your fuel cells or cans won't always be full.

tweeek

Observer
I have been really bad about updating this thread, but I have been working on this in my spare time. Got quite a bit done.

3etynute.jpg

Got all the pieces cut for the 1/4 panels
nymyge5e.jpg

All tacked up
egype2us.jpg

Starting to grind things down
agytepan.jpg

I did decide to go dual swingout. The second spindle is welded in.
he4u8uga.jpg
yjyru5u3.jpg
ajy7etu3.jpg

Gussets for the swingarm

y8ypemup.jpg
2utyje9e.jpg

tweeek

Observer
Got quite a bit done today

yry3ype7.jpg
mepaga5a.jpg

Holes drilled for water drainage
sa5ygaba.jpg
a6u2uneh.jpg

Wheel studs pressed in
a2y7uny9.jpg

Christmas Baking: nylon seat for swing arm. Formed it over the edge of the main 4x4. Forgot to take a pic of finished product.
ny9yme8u.jpg
anugypy6.jpg

Primer!

tweeek

Observer
Got the bumper to a driveable condition today.

The trim I put on the cut edges of the bedside lasted for about 15 minutes before detaching and looking like crap, so I will need another source, or I will just leave it raw. I did paint the exposed metal. What are you guys with HC bumpers using?

Still to do:
Fuel can holder and swingout (2x 20L Scepter Cans)
License plate mount with light
Order 2x Flushmount LED reverse lights (thinking about these: http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/98003)

Pretty tight clearance here. This was a bit of an oversight on my part. I didn't build the bumper low enough the clear the gas shocks while the tailgate is down. Not quite as clean this way, but is functional.

This is the stop for the swing arm

Gotta fix that trim...

tweeek

Observer
Well after driving 3000km over Christmas, twice through the rockies in winter, I discovered I really need mud flaps lol. The lower part of the bumper looks like a dart board from chips caused by road sanding, salt and other garbage on the road. Easy to touch up to keep from rusting, but I dont want to be screwing with it all the time.

Enter gigantic semi-truck rubber mudflap.

All cut up

jeverich

Luddite
I like your mud-flap idea; I definitely need some as well. My bumper fills up with mud, and grime really quickly..

What are you using for a weld process? Flux core?

tweeek

Observer
What are you using for a weld process? Flux core?

I have a 180 amp 220v lincoln mig. I have used it for flux core in the past, but now use gas shielding for everything. I am using 100% co2 just because I got the bottle for free. The gas upgrade is a HUGE upgrade and well worth the $$.

jeverich

Luddite
Gotchya. Yeah, I run 75/25 - lends itself to slightly better appearance.

Good score on that bottle!

I probably missed it, but - do you have a grease zerk on your swing out?

Where are ya in BC?

tweeek

Observer
Gotchya. Yeah, I run 75/25 - lends itself to slightly better appearance.

Good score on that bottle!

I probably missed it, but - do you have a grease zerk on your swing out?

Where are ya in BC?

Your welds are alot nicer then mine lol.

No zerk. I contacted the manufacturer of the swingout spindle (Summit Machine) he said they intentionally left the zerk out because they did not feel it was necessary. He explained that the wear on the bearings is so minimal and use so intermittent compared to what they are designed for (they are tapered wheel bearings) he felt that a thin coating of grease inside the sealed unit should last a lifetime. Time will tell.

Im in Victoria :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78