2nd gen Tacoma frame reinforcement

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Agreed. But then I'm 'that guy' who does checklists and load plans... it's not an adventure until the paperwork is done.

I have a 3 page checklist, double column, small font. The engineer in my excels at checklists :D

There is a neat thread on 'checklists' here on ExPo, I know I posted pics of mine. I have them broken down by day trips, multiple day, Tacoma or Land Cruiser and spares are ranked by priority so I can pack them as room allows.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1027851

2lvehp5.jpg

2vx2iqw.jpg

I don't have any pictures of mine but I'd be happy to take some if anyone would like.

His crossmember is significantly more "beat" than mine but I still do have small cracks forming.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
How "beat" on are your trucks? Jumps?

Fwiw I 'use' my Tacoma, I don't jump it, abuse it or push it beyond what I feel is its comfortable limits yet as noted I've had a handful of failed components, lower control arm cracks, cross-member cracks, motor mount cracks, etc. They do have a finite tolerance for use and abuse and need to be repaired/modified accordingly. That said with proper repairs the truck is as trustworthy (or more) than the next Tacoma.

Judging by the updated cross-member that Toyota has introduced (shiny black one compared to the older one above) its a known issue to their engineers and the upgrade cross-member should end the issue. Looks like its ~$200 for updated cross-member.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
I agree Kurt.

I don't jump my truck. I do wheel it though, and I've hit my crossmember on a few large rocks. However, nothing that I'd expect would cause stress cracks. I'll get pictures of it.

hbmurphy

I don't jump my truck but I have sailed it a good number of times. Being that it is not my DD and I use it for a sport I call, "Collecting Memories." This sport of collecting memories puts a good bit of strain on the truck. I have a couple of cracks, when I see them I drill the ends and watch. I have lost a lower control arm - fortunately while I was in front of a 7-11 so, AAA Premere was the ticket home. I now have Total Chaos lower control arms.

I have done my fair share of 90-100 romps through the desert so I suppose I need to watch the cracks more than most.

Regarding boxing? Are you trying to accomplish something in particular? I could see it if you were finding a problem or if you were caging the bed for a long travel suspension or a full roll cage, but if you are the occasional wheeler, why bother!?

My 2c.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online