2wd - camper/mtb race build

hammerhome

Observer
Here are some photos with the top on still. Basically what you are looking at is the hinge sitting on top of a piece of sheet metal that is riveted to the cut body. There are rivnuts installed in the cut body, holes in the sheet metal cap, and then the bolts sandwiches it all together.

toprem11 copy.jpg

toprem12 copy.jpg

Let me know if you need more. I will be following a similar procedure to mount it to my top.

Adam Cravillion

How did you get a 2 inch lift? I can't seem to find anything out there. Quadvan was able to swap a new 2wd complete front end in? I checked out their website but couldn't find any info on this service.

hammerhome

Observer
How did you get a 2 inch lift? I can't seem to find anything out there. Quadvan was able to swap a new 2wd complete front end in? I checked out their website but couldn't find any info on this service.

Adam,

Quadvan converts new vans to 4wd. The new vans have a 2wd front end that comes out. I just scheduled my swap when he had a new van in and had him just put it over to my van. It's only 4 bolts, plus you have to get a newer style swaybar.

The lift was achieved with spacers above the springs in front and blocks between the axle and leaf springs in he back. You can check out my build on sportsmobile forum under home made builds for more details. The rear blocks were on the shelf there at quadvan, the front spacers were made by moog if I remember correctly.

Good luck, it's worth the effort. Though I've since added a rear sway bar and I think that a front steering dampener would be ideal.

HH

Last edited:

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Here are some photos with the top on still. Basically what you are looking at is the hinge sitting on top of a piece of sheet metal that is riveted to the cut body. There are rivnuts installed in the cut body, holes in the sheet metal cap, and then the bolts sandwiches it all together.

View attachment 229072

View attachment 229073

Let me know if you need more. I will be following a similar procedure to mount it to my top.

Thanks for those. I have a westy top from a 74 that I am planning to bolt onto my GM van. I'm just trying to gauge how much if need to reinforce the roof. a eurovan top came up for sale locally and I'm tempted to try and go that route for the lower overall height. But then again I think the older top may be slightly easier to fit as it has more room for modification to fit the contours of my van.

Thoughts on how you are going to beef up the roof of your van for the new top?

hammerhome

Observer
I will be adding some sheet metal to cover the hole, but probably welding in some added metal in the corners to prevent stress cracks and add rigidity.
The eurovan just has extra metal riveted to the roof surface and the top hardware attached through that on the roof.

The older top would probably be easier because it is simpler, and the top would not need as much work to make it fit the roof profile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998