2wd e series wheel questions.

going to start getting into the suspension/wheels on my van soon. planning on the weldtec 2" leveling kit, maybe the 4" if i think i need it after the 2" is installed.

trying to figure out what wheel specs work/dont work.

my 2006 e150 has 16x7 wheels, unsure on the backspace.

i want to go with an alloy wheel vs a steel wheel, are there any factory wheels that will fit? i have seen some 3/4 & 1 ton vans with ram wheels, and i like that option, unsure if the ram 5 lug specs will fit (i know bolt pattern is the same)

thinking 16x8 or 17x8 wheels.

thanks for the help.

-Colby

Raul

Adventurer
Ram wheel have different bore diameter. If you use a spacer in the back you should be able to use them but for the front you will have to machine the wheels or grind the lip on the front disks/hub assembly.

Grngiant

Adventurer
Not sure about factory wheels but with aftermarket I would go with 17's. If you have the big brake calipers 16's will hit the calipers.

Ram wheel have different bore diameter. If you use a spacer in the back you should be able to use them but for the front you will have to machine the wheels or grind the lip on the front disks/hub assembly.

thanks for that, I had read it before, and forgot, suppose I could open the center hub up a little on the mill, but that's a lot of trouble.

Not sure about factory wheels but with aftermarket I would go with 17's. If you have the big brake calipers 16's will hit the calipers.

is there any tell tale sign which calipers I have? haven't read anything about big and small brakes except with the 08/newer has bigger brakes than my 06

REDOVAL

Adventurer
02 E350, 6" Weldtec Complete Kit (~5" total lift), 265/70r17 tires

Any larger tire and you run into problems limiting the upward suspension travel. Mine strokes 11" with the 265 tires and is physically limited by the inner fenders. The van is real fun offroad and is capable of some pretty wild stuff at speed.

Scott

02 E350, 6" Weldtec Complete Kit (~5" total lift), 265/70r17 tires

Any larger tire and you run into problems limiting the upward suspension travel. Mine strokes 11" with the 265 tires and is physically limited by the inner fenders. The van is real fun offroad and is capable of some pretty wild stuff at speed.

Scott

The weldtec full whammo system looks awesome. Not sure it's in the cards. Thanks for the feedback though.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
2006 e-150 has the "big" dual-piston calipers. The only reason they'd hit 16" wheels is if the wheels were especially bulbous on the backside. They came with 16" wheels as OE.

Raul

Adventurer
rodes.jpg

I am running 265/65/17 Cooper AT3 on 17x8 Moto Metal MO970 with 0 offset. The only changes in suspension are Moog CC880 springs. I love the set up. I had to trim a little bit the seam inside the rear of the fenders.

Raul

Adventurer
2006 e-150 has the "big" dual-piston calipers. The only reason they'd hit 16" wheels is if the wheels were especially bulbous on the backside. They came with 16" wheels as OE.

I see that the 2006 disc is about 1" larger than 2000. Does anyone knows if it is a direct swap: New rotor and new caliper or will a need new spindle and caliper bracket? A quick search on amazon indicates that the bearings and seals are the same for 00 than 06

I had a slight change of plans.

Gunna keep the stock wheels

Going to run moog 81368 springs, bilstein hd's front and rear and 245-75-16 tires.

Will give me a slight lift in front, still be "factory" but the 81368 springs are e250 replacement hd springs, or standard e350 springs (from what I can gather) ought to firm up the ride up front and provide a small lift.

Last edited:
I see that the 2006 disc is about 1" larger than 2000. Does anyone knows if it is a direct swap: New rotor and new caliper or will a need new spindle and caliper bracket? A quick search on amazon indicates that the bearings and seals are the same for 00 than 06

I'm curious too. I have an '04 E150. BTW, I like the stance on your van. I ran across it on the Ford Trucks Enthusiasts van forum with the rear spring upgrade. Do you have a build thread somewhere?

Another question I have for you, or the OP, is what mileage are you getting with 265's. I'm still running the stock size tire on mine (and probably will for at least another year). I have 265/75/16's on my '03 Tacoma and would love to have that size on the van, but am curious about what kind of hit I'd be taking in mileage. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78