2WD E150 shake/shimmy issues

I've got a 2006 E-150

build thread :

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/151472-Simple-kind-of-van-a-2006-e150-build-thread

I'm fighting a shake/shimmy and I'm not sure where to go next.......

its got new:

-front springs ---MOOG CC81368
-front and rear bilstein shocks (33-187563/33-176840)
-ball joints
-tie rod ends
-radius arm bushings
-factory caster kit

its been aligned, and rechecked. its "within spec" (can't find my alignment sheet)

it drives nice, much more surefooted than stock, but has a shimmy in the wheel, and the passenger seat shakes (its tight) from about 60-75mph.

now, you might be thinking tire balance..... but i had em balanced like 4 times, and even had the tire shop (work with these guys a lot) warranty the set of tires and try another brand/model. STILL SHAKES/SHIMMY!. they suggested i try another set of wheels, i had bought cheap-o steel D window wheels from summit, so i had them order a set of new wheels, KMC type 301, and while the van drives nicer with the lighter than steel wheels, it still has the shake.

any ideas?

I'm open to suggestions.

-Colby

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Mileage? Has anyone checked the wheel bearings? All wearing steering parts have been replaced?

Mileage? Has anyone checked the wheel bearings? All wearing steering parts have been replaced?

mileage is ~83k

wheel bearings were cleaned/repacked/new seals @80k, theres no movement in them up/down/right left when checked with the wheel on or off

every joint from the pitman arm out to the spindles has been changed as far as steering components go, as well as upper and lower ball joints on both sides, and radius arm bushings

Johny5

Adventurer
I would say if your happy with the front end being tight maybe get the drive shaft checked for balance. should cost less the $100
also tranny mounts get sloppy and vibrate

ClubWagon

Observer
It might be worth double checking your u joints. A couple months ago I started to get a noticeable shake/vibration only around 60-75 too. Checked mine and it was definitely time for new ones. After I replaced them it drove like a new van. I actually couldn't believe how many other slight vibrations that I had gotten used to over time also disappeared. Good luck tracking it down!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Seems you've covered most of the bases. Wheel runout can play a big role. The tire shop that did my tires last aligned the runout of my tires to counteract the runout of my rims... It was a wholly different rig to drive afterwards. The also balanced the tires, ditched the P rated tires :eek:, and swapped out two rims that were out of spec. First time I've seen a shop use that feature on a balancing machine in 25 years of driving around old trucks.

The other surprising thing that smoothed things out a lot was an oil Change in the LSD diff. I always thought it wouldn't make a difference when driving straight. I could feel the difference before I'd reached the end of our short (& straight) driveway at even low speed.

Seems you've covered most of the bases. Wheel runout can play a big role. The tire shop that did my tires last aligned the runout of my tires to counteract the runout of my rims... It was a wholly different rig to drive afterwards. The also balanced the tires, ditched the P rated tires :eek:, and swapped out two rims that were out of spec. First time I've seen a shop use that feature on a balancing machine in 25 years of driving around old trucks.

The other surprising thing that smoothed things out a lot was an oil Change in the LSD diff. I always thought it wouldn't make a difference when driving straight. I could feel the difference before I'd reached the end of our short (& straight) driveway at even low speed.

yeah, at first i had cooper at-3's on steel wheels, then switched to toyo open country h/t's, THEN switched the toyo tires over to a set of new KMC alloy wheels. the steel wheels had some runout, so we figured try a set of wheels, the new alloys spin true. i even had them balanced lug centric as the aftermarket wheels don't fit the center bores, but use tapered lug nuts and i put them all on by hand first, then torqued in series so i know they're centered.

ill get it up on the rack at work (I'm a mechanic at an independent vintage mercedes shop) and check the u joints, and double triple check all the front end bits.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
Can you remember when it started?

Is the steering wheel actually moving with the "shake/shimmy" or are you just feeling it in the steering wheel?

Does it change on different types of road surfaces?

Paddy

Adventurer
Propeller shaft center bearing?

Speaking of Mercedes I had a bad vibe on my sports car until I had it road force balanced. Several balance jobs did not reveal the issue before that. Ever since road force balance it runs great.

Can you remember when it started?

Is the steering wheel actually moving with the "shake/shimmy" or are you just feeling it in the steering wheel?

Does it change on different types of road surfaces?

all the front end work, wheels/tires, springs/shocks was done in the same day.

it started immediately after.

ive been busy, haven't had time to deal with it until recently.

I don't typically notice it at around town speeds, just highway speed.

as to the steering wheel moving, yes, I think so. its not "death wobble" like when a jeep loses its front trac bar, but theres some movement in the wheel maybe 1/16"-1/8"

Propeller shaft center bearing?

Speaking of Mercedes I had a bad vibe on my sports car until I had it road force balanced. Several balance jobs did not reveal the issue before that. Ever since road force balance it runs great.

I'm gunna have to get it on a rack and re check it all out. ive never had it load force balanced, that could be something interesting to look at. but my thoughts are, 2 sets of wheels, with 2 sets of different tires aren't going to typically have the same results.

Front shocks - I know, they are new.

Take them off and test without them.

yeah, my thought is the shocks might be too stiff, causing bump steer in the ever so slight. its probably what I get for using e350 shocks on my half ton van. though I did use e350 springs as well. (1/2 ton van rides too mushy)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78