2wd Expidetion Vehicle

wely

Observer
I have a 2wd Dodge Ram 1500. I like to travel the farm roads and forest trails here in the South East. I have had a big 4wd and have an old little 4wd. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do to make my truck better off-road. I know 2wds are very capable because i have had experiences with them. I don't have a need for a 4wd daily driver and being here in the south we don't have much land left to explore. Ooh to be out west again! I hear the deserts calling my name!

Dave Kay

Adventurer
I would get yourself some kind of limited-slip rear axle device or maybe even a locker. That'll help you down the trial a bit farther for sure. Good luck to ya'!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Traction device in the rearend and good tires will get you lots of places. Have some good tow points and carry a strap just in case. When money allows put some good springs and shocks in it so you can go a little faster off road, means you won't get stuck as easy or you will just get stuck that much farther from pavement.:)

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
I drive a 40,000lb 2wd truck and in my experience the best things to improve offroad ability are lockable differential, the correct tyres for the conditions, and weight over the back axle.

Snow chains can be surpsingly effective for getting traction on muddy tracks too but they are a bit of a pain to fit unless you do it regularly.

wagoneercraig

Observer
I would say an air looker . That way you don't the issues of an automatic locker . But it's on demand when you need it . Good high traction tires and since you have a compressor for the locker , You can air down the tires at will.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Ditto the above, and add skid plates. Most 2WDs are severely lacking in this department, and it is potentially even more important than good tires or a locker/limited slip out back. There are roads I've avoided for lack of skids, that I would have gladly tried without tires or traction.

Cat Jockey

Observer
Biggest thing, increase ground clearance. Fit the biggest tires you can. Tall, skinny tires - if you can fit 33's, go no wider than 10.50. I prefer 33x9.50's. That will give your tires better over all traction in most cases. You can air down for wider acting tire in mud, etc.

As far as diff, I would do what others are suggesting with a locking one versus a limited slip type. On harder, slippery surfaces (snow/ice/freshly rained on dirt road, etc.) you have no lateral traction when both rear wheels start spininng - spin both rear tires on a slight side angle and you slide sideways down the hill and with 2wd, it'll happen fast without being able to recover without front drive wheels. You don't always want both rear wheels spinning offroad if you are 2wd, so make sure you control when they do or not.

bftank

Explorer
i would lift it, tires, skid plates, bumpers and winch, traction device.

lift front using 2500 springs, air bags in the rear. 255/85 tires. light weight high clearance bumpers, bellypan, arb locker and compressor.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
My main travel truck is 2wd and I've been all over from Alaska to Florida. The first thing I would do would be a good set of all terrain tires. Next would be re-gearing depending on tire size. Then if you have the money, get a detroit truetrac or eaton e-locker. Thats really all you need. The rest is driving abilities and knowing what your vehicle can and can't do. Everything else is just fluff.

I should add, I've logged 250,000 miles and still have an open diff.

Atigun Pass (Dalton Highway) in the Alaskan Arctic
15.jpg

Bear Glacier, B.C.
11.jpg

ExploringNH

Explorer
With all the money you could spend modifying it and not coming close to 4wd performance, it seems reasonable that you could do a 4wd swap with relatively little hassle.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
the old rule of thumb- a locked rear gets you 85% of where 4wd does. add a removable winch tray to be used front or rear, tires, and skids in that order...

wely

Observer
Thanr all the Replies. My plans @ this time are to install a locker and 285/70-17 ATs. I will then look @ getting a used topper or as we call it a camper shell. This will be my weekend vehicle and daily driver. I don't need another 4x4. I grew up driving 2wd trucks offroad around the farm. I love to see how others have modified their vehicle to fit their own traveling style. Again thanks for all the replies. I believe my truck has 3.94 gears in it now. My future plans are in order:
1. change to 4.10 or lower gears and add a locker
2. move up to 285/70-17 ATs
3. Add topper (camper Shell)
4. Hit the backwoods and forest trails all the time!
Have a great weekend and all help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I saw in one comment that I should use 2500 springs has anyone else heard of using 2500 springs in a 1500?

rynosurf

Adventurer
With all the money you could spend modifying it and not coming close to 4wd performance, it seems reasonable that you could do a 4wd swap with relatively little hassle.

I need to get some pics of my buddy in his locked Toyota prerunner taming terrain that I would think twice about hitting up in my 4x4, and he's not flogging or destroying his truck.

wely

Observer
I have always loved the Toyota PreRunner and have always wished they made a fulsize version of the preRunner. I know how to drive a 2wd offroad. I have a Warn Multimount for when I can't get out. Now if I could get my dodge to resemble a PreRunner I would be one happy camper!

diamondjosh

I'm also using a 2wd. Mine is an 07 ford explorer. I have already done the lift and tires and currently making skid plates for it. Does anyone have a sugestion on rear air locker for this not sure if one is made for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998