2WD in Snow - Need advice

Saenzm

Need some help from some of you used to driving in the snow. This is my first winter in Colorado and I took my van out in search for a cool place to camp. Well my GPS led me to some dirt roads covered in snow. I have a 1993 E250 class B, which I have somewhat turned into a poor man's Sportsmobile. I am riding on some Fallen AT3S which help in the snow, but once I started getting in there I was concerned I was going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no service. Here is a link after I backed out: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kN7sSWTPREuW2CPq7

What do I need to go down places like this? Would chains do the trick? I have never used chains, so I wasn't sure. I have a portable winch and Maxx Traxx. Is that enough or should I just stay out of the snow like this without 4x4?

Here's ma rig: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zPujpZXvW75ZziSH7

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• 20190316_083531.jpg
    20190316_083531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

rex_1_mn

Observer
I would get a Detroit tru trac in the rear. Go until you get stuck and use chains to get you back out. Chains will get you in deep if needed but then if you get stuck you are in some trouble. Pick your lines and use momentum to carry you through.

Saenzm

I would get a Detroit tru trac in the rear. Go until you get stuck and use chains to get you back out. Chains will get you in deep if needed but then if you get stuck you are in some trouble. Pick your lines and use momentum to carry you through.
Sorry for the ignorance, is that a bolt on or do I have to replace the whole axle? Approx cost?

rex_1_mn

Observer
It’s a “bolt in”. Requires you to re-set the ring and pinion. Not sure what the cost is for a Dana 60 rear but I did exactly this to my Chevy van a couple years ago. I would say I had 700-800$ into it when I was done and did the work myself. If you paid someone and didn’t do a gearing change maybe 1250-1500$. I ran that 2wd van all over. Momentum was key. If stopped on a slippery surface getting going again can be tough. If you keep moving and give it medium throttle you can get through quite a little. With chains it would go anywhere a 4wd would go in snow but if I got stuck it was bad.

Saenzm

It’s a “bolt in”. Requires you to re-set the ring and pinion. Not sure what the cost is for a Dana 60 rear but I did exactly this to my Chevy van a couple years ago. I would say I had 700-800$ into it when I was done and did the work myself. If you paid someone and didn’t do a gearing change maybe 1250-1500$. I ran that 2wd van all over. Momentum was key. If stopped on a slippery surface getting going again can be tough. If you keep moving and give it medium throttle you can get through quite a little. With chains it would go anywhere a 4wd would go in snow but if I got stuck it was bad.
Makes sense.

Saenzm

Don't go where you don't belong, try using common sense or you will become a statistic.
Touche, but no fun. Actually, I don't intend to, but out here you end up in places that warrant some nice to haves. I don't want to do any serious off roading in my heavy 2wd van, but I also want to have some sense of security for those spontaneous get out and go trips. But, point taken.

Winterpeg

If you want to get off the beaten path more then I would start planning for 4wd in the future.

For now... yeah, chains would definitely help.

When I had my 2wd truck years ago I had chains for it and I would get into all kinds of trouble with it... and out eventually, lol. But I could drive through a bush trail that had snow up to my bumper... with lots of extra weight in the back for traction.

Airing your tires down can also help a lot.
I go to about 15 psi but you are a bit heavier so you'll have to play with it a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears