2wd to 4x4 conversion question for you van guys?

MrBeast

Explorer
Beast, I think this is a great idea. As long as you don't start planning your life around this, there is no way you can lose. Just build quality parts that work, for those of us like me who have ZERO aftermarket support for their GM or Chrysler vans. I for one would definitely be interested. That being said, I am already making/going to make all of my parts because there AREN'T any companies like you would like to start. If you got it going fast enough, I'd be your first customer.

Don't get me wrong, I love making my own stuff, but when it comes to suspension, that's where I get off the DIY boat. That's why I'm doing leaves. If you were to design a front coil over suspension that would be great. Help out us unibody guys.

can you get me some pictures of your front frame?

It is in the works where I am going to be moving back to montana later this summer or fall. Im going to rent a shop when I get there and be setting up there, but most of what I am going to be doing is pipeline welding.

Depending on how things go if I wind up doing this might be able to bring your van out and build a prototype off of it.

MrBeast

Explorer
I'm starting to think that the Ford Cummins Van is an urban legend! Been hearing about it for years, but no pics/details.

I know a 4bt would be doable, they put them in the grumman p-30 vans which are teeny tiny under the hood, the 6bt would be a bit harder I think, might require building a custom motor hump in the van, and I could see intercooler and turbo tube routing being very interesting to say the least.

Might be able to mount a hair dryer on top of the engine through using an indusrtrial style manifold, allthough those are not as good for making power when used they do make the engine very slender.

The core support atleast in a chevy would not be bad for installing the intercooler because it is the same core support my 72 has, the grilles are actually interchangable all the way up to 1996 or 97 cant remember which.

It would be really interesting to measure out and see what it would take to make a 6bt fit.

r_w

Adventurer
I have read the legend, too. No pics, but one I read did say they needed a body lift and a custom doghouse to pull it off, so they made it sound believeable.

I still would LOVE an F-series retrofit kit: Buy a superduty donor, ujoint 4wd kit, Mr. Beast engine mount kit, and have a 4wd turbo diesel van that is 95% plug and play-- only need to add driveshafts and exhaust.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
That cummins van was a gtrv pop top I have seen pictures of it a while back.
I will see if I can find some pictures of it.

That One Guy

Adventurer
can you get me some pictures of your front frame?

It is in the works where I am going to be moving back to montana later this summer or fall. Im going to rent a shop when I get there and be setting up there, but most of what I am going to be doing is pipeline welding.

Depending on how things go if I wind up doing this might be able to bring your van out and build a prototype off of it.

If I head to town today, I can. I think I'm going to. Do you want measurements too? The Beast Proto Dodge! Sounds sweet.

MrBeast

Explorer
If I head to town today, I can. I think I'm going to. Do you want measurements too? The Beast Proto Dodge! Sounds sweet.

pictures, measurements of how wide the frame rails are would be good to start giving me an idea what would be required.

Cant really do anything with it until I have my hands on it, but it is fun to think about.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
It has been a while but I am thinking that autoworld has done a e350 van repower with a cummins. If you looking for answer I would call them.

yota1

i see a early 90's ford van on what appears to be a full dodge truck chassis with cummins,

it belongs to an oil company and it is one of there service vans. I always see it in passing, but notice the auto front hubs and the dodge base model center caps on steel wheels, plus the sweet sound

That One Guy

Adventurer
Okay, finally got around to measuring my front subframe rail width. They're a little less than 44 inches from outside to outside and the rails are 4.5 inches thick.

Zodiac.

QuadravanZ
reviving the dead

Did anything ever come of these ideas?

The venerable TBI 350 has over 200k miles on the ticker and will probably last a while yet. The plan is to do the usual rebuild with mild improvements (intake, head work or Vortec head swap, compucam, compression bump, etc) but if I can formulate a plan that makes a 4bt swap plausible....

who wouldnt want the torque and mileage?

Zodiac.

QuadravanZ
And my unibody needs extra special attention.

Its wanted to be a 4wd since I first layed on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78