2WD Van in Snow

caideN

Getting ready to head up to the Sierra Mountains mid December and I wanted to see if any of you have personal experience with a Ford Econoline Extended in snow.

My van has an open diff and 33" BFG All Terrain tires. I am going to add my water jugs (about 15 gallons) behind the rear axle.

Do you think I'll need chains as a precaution?

If this is overall a horrible choice, I'm just going to rent an AWD

Skyl330

I drive a van in the sierras weekly in the winter. If there’s a decent amount of snow on the roads more than likely you will hit chain control. Which means chains will be required on your 2wd.
With chains on you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotty D

Are your BFGs the new KO2s?
Those are supposed to be great in the snow compared to the older ones.
Peerless auto trac are cheap and easy. I think they have them at walmart

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Tires don't matter much, when you have a 2wd
Good tires certainly add safety, but from a legal standing....

He's in CA

If traveling any of the highway passes in the Sierras, you'd better carry chains.

Once them chains-required lights start flashing.... you better have them on, or at least have them with you.

Unless you like one-on-ones with CHP officers :)

With 4wd and snow tires, you are pretty well always good, but you still should carry chains.

Caltrans closes the roads before they push to mandatory chains on all rigs (R3)

eporter

Adventurer
BB did you need chains on all 4 wheels? I've wondered how my Ambo would do in the snow, but didn't dare take it out of the driveway the last time we had a big snow/ice storm. I've got the BFG AT KO2s and a D70 limited slip, but haven't tested it out.

Scotty D

There is a learning curve for driving 2wd in the snow especially with an LSD, you can really lose the *** end.
Chains are pretty damned impressive though, turns your van into a tank.

Betarocker

Adventurer
If you have chains along, it is also advised to bring the whips, crops, paddles and hand cuffs and other restraints.

:D

caideN

I just bought some Peerless chains on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.

I remember reading that LSD helps with traction but can also push the back end out on turns.

Scotty D

LSD will get you up a hill but around a corner it can put you in the ditch.
Off road they are awesome.
If you ever install one , make sure to play in a big mall parking lot for an hour or so after the first bit snow of the year.
You need to know how they break traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger