3.3l ford f150 vs 3.6l ram 1500, which would you rather own?

tinbasher

Observer
considering a newer truck, there's a couple of f150 XLTs (a 2019 and a 2020) with the 3.3l 6spd CCSB 4x4 with around 45,000kms (27,000 miles?)

also a couple of ram 1500s with the 3.6l 8spd DCLB, a 2019 with 45,000kms and some options and a base 2022 tradesman with 17,000kms

all are one owner, accident free, in good condition and around the same price. it will be used for dirt road exploring/hunting and MT bike shuttling, some road trips and i only tow 2000lbs a couple of times a month, so i'm not worried about power to much, more reliability and fuel economy

Moyshe Kapoyer

We have a 2020 Crew cab XL F150 with the 3.3 at my office. I'm not a fan, unless you're in sport mode it's a complete dog. I once towed a golf cart on a 5x10 trailer, it did it, but it took lots of happy peddle to accelerate, especially on the HW.

It gets about the same fuel economy as our 2013 with the 5.0.

It has been reliable though. IIRC it's at about 90k and hasn't had any problems.

NMNomad

I do not know anything about the Ford 3.3L. So, I can't comment on that. However, we have owned a Journey and a Pacifica, with the Dodge 3.6L in it. Both were very reliable. In those vehicles, which do not have the weight of a half-ton truck. I found them to be under powered in different situations. For instance, they were fine in the flat lands of Florida. But, once we moved over to New Mexico, and had a regular commute through the mountains. In our opinion, they were under powered. For me, I wouldn't consider towing with that motor unless I had absolutely no other option. To be fair, I've spent the last 15+ years in vehicles with a V8. But, I wouldn't want to intentionally over work a motor. That will just lead to more maintenance, and a shorter service life.

rruff

Explorer
I think either would be similar, but would give the nod to the Ram. The 3.6L has been out a long time and should be reliable. A small engine would benefit from the extra gears too, I think.

Regarding "having enough power", I wouldn't be the slightest worried. Manage your expectations, and keep the rpms up. If "tow-haul mode" is all it takes to make it feel peppy, that is easy. I don't know about other makes, but Toyota's throttle programming made my 5.7L V8 feel like a dog, but that was a cheap fix.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If your specifically looking at the smaller 6's for fuel economy, the V8's get about the same. Might be easier to sell down the road too. If it's just an up front cost savings thing cause the trucks are good deals, either engine will be fine. Buy whichever truck seems to fit you better. Drive them both and compare.

rruff

Explorer
I bought a used Hike-It X5 awhile ago; it works. Very simple install. No more 3/4 of pedal giving you 1/4 of the engine.

Just for fun, I went to the Ram site and built a 2wd Tradesman RC 8' 3.6L with locker and low gearing for <$34k. They want a *lot* of money for extended cabs and 4WD these days.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Isn't the 3.6 Penstar has an advantage over the Ford V6 3.3 because of being a pushrod engine?
My understanding was that the pushrod engines are more reliable, lighter and smaller too.

Would love to hear more about this.

Tradesman RC 8' 3.6L with locker

Since when Ram puts lockers in their trucks?

rruff

Explorer
Since when Ram puts lockers in their trucks?
I figured it was limited slip based on them calling it "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle". But clicking on "more info" gives:

"The rear differential can be locked with an electronic actuator so both rear wheels receive equal torque all the time for enhanced traction."

rruff

Explorer
Isn't the 3.6 Penstar has an advantage over the Ford V6 3.3 because of being a pushrod engine?
My understanding was that the pushrod engines are more reliable, lighter and smaller too.

"The engine is relatively complex, 4 camshafts, 24 valves, all cams have cam phasers. The transmission has a heater and a cooler so the mechanic has to be up-to-date with that kind of stuff."

"The pentastar 3.6 is probably FCA's most reliable motor they sell at this point. It has won many awards for NVH, it's smooth, very refined, and very reliable."

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’d go V8 over V6 any day, but the 3.6 in the Dodge is where I’d land given your two choices. As others have said, fuel economy won’t be much different between the V6 and V8s in the “real” world. Yes, the 6s do better on EPA controlled tests, but reality based testing you might see 1-2 mpg difference. Possibly in the V8s favor under certain conditions.

I got better fuel economy out of my F250 with 460 5spd than I did out of my F150 with 4.9 straight 6 auto. Same model year for those trucks.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
"The engine is relatively complex, 4 camshafts, 24 valves, all cams have cam phasers. The transmission has a heater and a cooler so the mechanic has to be up-to-date with that kind of stuff."

Is this regarding the Ford V6 3.3?

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
No, it's from the Ram Forum link regarding the 3.6L. Lots of discussion about it there.

Thanks. So, it's not necessarily a simple engine even though it's a pushrod engine.
Complexity isn't always a bad thing, but it's worth keeping it in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears