3 bed Tent Trailer new to me

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I have a trip in a month so it's time to get busy on the trailer. Rewired the trailer lights (again since the fabricator who welded the tongue burnt my wires). Added clearance lights and mounted the electrical tongue box. I finally bit the bullet and bought a welder. So on with the fabrication. I will be doing small welding jobs to get it ready to camp. But fenders will be the next major undertaking.
3b3aad01403bc146e073cd580cdcd148.jpg
fd5fbd1c8a7732e91652be17d39398b2.jpg
e8c77a25774e4e1c91ff0d7d160f7f79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripperj

Explorer
Welders are great to have, after you get one you wonder how you lived without it.
Project looks good, hard to see from pics but those weld on the tongue??(1st pic) Look like they need more heat(amps)

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
Yes the welds could use a little more penetration. That was my first thing I welded with a 220 welder. The first was way too hot. Started to go thru the receiver tube. That angle iron is only there to protect the trailer wires. Still learning a 220 vs a 110 welder. But towards the end things started to look a lot better to me.
b6cfd690603f76b6cefe763fa7ff05d1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
Still working on the trailer. Here are a few pics of the progress. Sorry for the mess in the pics but between full time job and single parent little time left to clean before I make a mess and no time after due to extreme hours. But I have interior and exterior lights installed. I have a twin USB outlet installed. All lights on the trailer are LED. Cabinet doors are in the last coat of paint now. Water rack is almost done. Missed a portion on my calculations and ran short of metal. I am awaiting a few friends help to mount the beds to the trailer.

One question, I have a 12 volt socket at the trailer hitch I want to plug in and charge the trailer battery while I drive. Can I just direct wire that in and all is good or do I need to worry about over charging the battery and hurting the battery? I am only going to use it while I drive as there is not enough room with the 3rd bed to keep the truck attached, nor do I want to drain the truck battery.

90500ad63785d2d943c784ffe51ea213.jpg
5ac5983863fb382ba54b5a04fa2d9662.jpg
8f7b589390fd222d37a565dd474c6465.jpg
a787b6f1cc69c8a722ad7a48395723dd.jpg
d9e413627da88d4b634d9ca9d356da10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Looks great. Hope you get it done in time for your trip. Keep up the hard work, your boys will appreciate all of the outings together.

croix

Observer
"Can I just direct wire that in and all is good or do I need to worry about over charging the battery and hurting the battery?"

Shouldn't be an issue. It won't overcharge your trailer battery any more than it would your TV battery. I've got mine direct wired and never had a problem.

-croix

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
Here is some info on the truck.
The truck is a 1991 3/4 ton suburban with a remand factored engine installed with less than 3k miles on it. It has 37" Cooper STT's installed with a matching spare. No 3rd row seat. Warn premium manual hubs installed custom sliders with bed liner on them. It has a warn winch bumper and I have a freshly rebuilt Ramsey RE12000lb winch with factory remote and remote switch for in the vehicle, I have not installed on it yet that will go with it. I installed a wood platform in the rear to hide the spare tire under. I installed a brand new kenwood radio in it and wired a dual USB charging outlet and a secondary 12v outlet. Has a fire extinguisher installed next to the 4wd lever. I have lots of parts and pieces I was going to install just ran out of time. a York air compressor and composite aviation O2 tank. The body is not great but it is a fun vehicle. The truck shows 233k miles but I just went through the trans case and it was all brand new. This truck was bone stock when I got it. The lift is from ORD shackle reversal with 2" spacers and lift springs in the front. 7 pin trailer harness. I have home made removable mud flaps for it. Any other questions about it please feel free to PM me and I will fwd my number to you. Thanks for looking.
As far as price I am asking $4,000.

Last edited:

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
Ok everyone My truck and trailer are for sale. 3k for trailer and 4k for the truck. All proceeds will be going to help get my brother a wheelchair accessible vehicle. Both are located in the Provo Utah area. PM or call me for any more pics or info. 801-822-4428. Thanks for looking.

bigtrkltltrl

Observer
I have been trying to help my brother out getting a vehicle but he saw my posts and strongly told me to F off if I thought he would take the money. So I made a deal. I will get his kids out camping with mine. So the truck and trailer made the 2000 mile trip to GA from Utah. I hated to do it but I didn't want to waste 2000 miles on my good tires. So I put little donuts on it. But the truck made it no problem and the trailer rode inside the Penske. Broke a tail light lens only. Getting it out of the truck seemed like it would be a problem. But it rolled right out on the ramp. Easy as pie.

d4ee50c5c96e339ffc22fd6bad9c6816.jpg
5224b21d1c0421743dfaaf98e708fbbd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears