3 burner camp stoves. Coleman 426/428 or Camp Chef?

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
Just starting to do some research on a better stove set up. I would like to have something with three burners. I believe that leaves me with the Coleman 426/428 series or a 443 if I can find one. Or the Camp Chef. The camp Chef has its own legs so I would not need to buy a metal table to run the Coleman on. But it's huge and heavy. Right now I'm running a MSR Whisperlite so anything will be an upgrade.

I'm not a huge fan of the little green disposable propane cylinders. I've never taken one off my little BBQ and not had it hiss/leak. If I go with the Camp Chef I would buy a 5-10lb refillable propane tank to run it off of.

How is the simmering on the Coleman 2 and 3 burner stoves when run on white gas? How about with the propane conversion adapter thingy?

Anything else I should consider when making my decision about what stove to buy?

crismateski

American Adventurist
I run an old coleman 426b, absolutely love it. It simmers better than my stove at home, and you can crank it up and really get some heat off of it. Bought it on ebay about a year ago

perkj

Explorer
I personally would go with a 426. Camp Chef will limit you to propane and the 428 case is made from a much thinner gauge metal that is very prone to denting. The paint is also crap and rusts very easy....the newer 424, 414, and 428 were just made too cheaply as a result of cost cutting. Specifically on the 426, I would go after the 426D and more specifically I would recommend going with the earlier 426D with the diamond cut outs on the side (see picture #1) below verses the oval cutout (see picture #2). Let me explain why I'm recommending this. First, the 426D is the earliest 426 model that will accept the optional side trays....426A, 426B, and 426C cannot accept these side trays, though they are also fantastic and very stout stoves (see pictures #3 & #4 for the optional trays). IMO these side trays come in handy and are almost a necessity while cooking. They fit right in the case too when you go to pack up. Now why the 426D with the diamond cut outs on the side verses the oval? simple, the early models with the diamond cut out are made with a slightly thicker gauge steel AND more importantly the corners are designed to be much stouter. If you have both 426D models in front of you, it will quickly become clear to you that this is indeed fact. Any of the 426 models can also utilize the Coleman folding aluminum stand...folds down very small and is quite sturdy when holding the stove. the side trays (coleman's offical name is "Chef Trays") are hard-ish to come buy since they don't make them any more and much of the coleman collecting world wants them....they come up from time to time on ebay. if you're lucky you can catch a good deal ($30 or less) if someone doesn't realize what it is they have, but expect to pay somewhere between $50-100 if you really want them and don't want to wait for a deal to pop up.

For running propane on a 426, it would be best to find an older "unregulated" adapter as the newer adapters have regulators in them that are tuned for two burner models and when you run one of them on a 3 burner the BTU will be hampered significantly when running all 3 burners at once...this may be fine if you're looking for a low setting while using all three burners. If you only run two of the burners at a time, you'll be fine. The older unregulated adapters will run a 426 just fine and you can actually get them to throw some pretty big flames and BTUs so you just need to be a little careful. I won't lie, trying to find an older regulator will take some hunting and patience on either ebay, CL or flea market.

As for simmering on white gas, once the generator is heated (a minute or so), you have a full range from an ultra low and very nice simmer on all three burners to nice highs when turned up. On propane, it'll act just like any propane stove and simmer very nicely.

coleman426d1064stendahl.jpg

coleman413gleftrhodes.jpg

1316648004-Coleman_426_7.jpg

1316647923-Coleman_426_3rd.jpg

Last edited:

swduncan

Observer
Check the price on 5lb and 10lb tanks if you haven't already. Both were excellent examples of less costs more when I looked.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
Check the price on 5lb and 10lb tanks if you haven't already. Both were excellent examples of less costs more when I looked.

Yea, that's what I have noticed. I just didn't want a full size 20lb BBQ tank inside the Jeep. There was a 6lb aluminum one on Amazon that was tall and skinny that would be perfect. But yea, Worthington is pretty proud of it at $149.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As a counterpoint, I found the biggest problem I had with white-gas stoves was that they were tough to re-light cleanly. Like if I made a pot of coffee, then 15 minutes later wanted to cook eggs, the second trip was always a sooty mess. I've tried simple re-lighting, pumping and re-lighting, etc. and for some reason I always had trouble getting it to burn cleanly unless I let it cool all the way down and start from scratch with pumping/lighting.

As for simmer control? I always had to use a simmer plate. Never could turn the burner down enough that it wouldn't burn the eggs or scorch a sauce and still run reliably (i.e. without flaming out).

I still own 4 white gas stoves, but I really only use my MSR Whisperlite any more, and only when solo. When the family is along, I stick to propane (or lately a Butane catering burner) for ease of lighting and simmer control.

perkj

Explorer
As a counterpoint, I found the biggest problem I had with white-gas stoves was that they were tough to re-light cleanly. Like if I made a pot of coffee, then 15 minutes later wanted to cook eggs, the second trip was always a sooty mess. I've tried simple re-lighting, pumping and re-lighting, etc. and for some reason I always had trouble getting it to burn cleanly unless I let it cool all the way down and start from scratch with pumping/lighting.

Simple solution for this. Remove the tank/generator immediately after turning the burners off. there is still a slight amount of vaporized gas in the generator that will escape for 3-5 mins after shutting off and if you don't remove it this gas then accumulates inside the manifold and tubes. When you go to relight, the your air/fuel ratio is way off and thus are a bit flooded which make it difficult to light. It is also good practice that before you shut off the last burner that you flip the lever on top of the gas tank back to the up position and let it run for about another 15-30 seconds. this again helps reduce the amount of fuel left in the generator as in the up position more air is taken in.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
:wings:

So were all the older ones with the diamond holes thicker metal?

All of the 426Ds and 413Gs with the diamonds do have the heavier gauge metal and better designed corners. As do the 426a, b, c...though again these can't accept the side trays.

Last edited:

perkj

Explorer
Have to keep an eye out for the G. There are As, Bs, Ds, and Cs on Ebay at the moment. No Gs unless you step down to the 413.

Be patient, they come up all the time and frequently. Also check craigslist...finding local will save you a lot of shipping on these big stoves. You can also checkout http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/ . They have a classifieds section that you can monitor and also post a WTB asking specifically for the stove you are looking for...typically someone on that forum will have one they are willing to part with.....most of us on that forum have a garage full of stoves. I unfortunately only have 2 of the 426Ds with diamonds and don't want to part with either.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears