3 Friends, 3 days across Arizona.

This is my first post on here, so don't yell at me.

A few weeks ago, I got a call from one of my good buddies from high school. He said he needed to get out and about. I knew what he was asking of me, considering he had traded in his YJ for a new Dodge Neon (oh, the horror) a few months prior. I told him about a place I had been wanting to go to for a while, a little place called Crown King. The trail is a 35-mile white knuckler in central Arizona, that leads to a ghost/hick/small town with a saloon and a general store. My kind of place, really. We got a late start, so to add to the thrill, we drove most of it in the dark. Alone. Never will I do that again. Here are a few pictures of the fiasco…

IMG_0340.jpg

Mike is waaaay too excited.

IMG_0347.jpg

Dark, and not even close yet.

IMG_0349.jpg

She was making funny noises, but it was just the back tires rubbing the fenders at full flex.

By the time we arrived at Crown King, the saloon was packed and every Jeep and ATV in the state seemed to be there. None of us boys are 21 yet, so we didn't stay long. Just wanted to check it out. I'm sure we'll enjoy a jar or two there someday.

In the morning, we packed up camp and headed out through the Bradshaw Mountains. This windy, washboard road was where I realized what I thought was my alignment being off, later to find out I somewhat "injured" my steering gear box. Oops.

IMG_0354.jpg

The Bradshaws.

The next destination was a place about 20 miles south of Flagstaff on Anderson Mesa called Young's Canyon. My dad and I camped here all the time, Because of a freshwater spring we discovered. Crystal clear, cold, clean water flows from it year-round. It's quite awesome. Getting to it is a jouncy, kidney-jarring, "are we there yet?" ride, though. I call it "An...n...der...s...son...n...Me...s...sa."

IMG_0305.jpg

Seeing a herd of elk is always a treat. They were jumping that fence like it wasn't even there.

IMG_0363.jpg

Look at my new bumper! And of course the beautiful BFG All-terrains.

IMG_0364.jpg

If you happen to find an XJ fender flair somewhere on a dirt road in central AZ, please return it to Robert Curtis.

IMG_0357.jpg

Just posing.

We went hiking the next morning and took some nice photos of us and the landscape.

n504371117_267139_3715.jpg

Tony and I.

n504371117_267134_6890.jpg

Mike and I.

The ride home was long, but thank God for Fabreeze, toothbrushes, and Led Zeppelin.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
looks like a fun guys trip....
of course you already mentioned the couple of things I would comment on...hitting the trail in the dark & alone with knowledge that it is a rough & tough trail. I hope you let someone know where you were going and when to start being concerned...not to mention a couple of check-ins along the way when you had cell service.

I finally got to run that trail recently and really enjoyed it, your jeep looks well built and looks like it handled the trail with no issues.

Oh and Anderson Mesa sounds cool, I will have to check that out sometime soon.

Welcome to expo and post up for your next outting so someone can tag along for fun & safety.

1leglance said:
looks like a fun guys trip....
of course you already mentioned the couple of things I would comment on...hitting the trail in the dark & alone with knowledge that it is a rough & tough trail. I hope you let someone know where you were going and when to start being concerned...not to mention a couple of check-ins along the way when you had cell service.

Oh yes, of course. GPS coordinates were relayed to the girlfriend, and we checked the CB radio every hour or so. I will post trip plans next time tho, 'cuz I am aware of the dangers of going alone.

Thank you!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
there is a great group of tucson folks in your area...
I am sure if you post up when you want to hit the trail you will get some top notch folks, also watch for runs others in your area post up....
and of course anytime you are in the phx area I would be happy to hit the trail with ya
keep the trail reports coming

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Awesome!

:Astrologist: Seeing the Elk herd, is not something you get to photograph often.

Welcome to the Portal :)

Jasonazx

Adventurer
1leglance said:
there is a great group of tucson folks in your area...
I am sure if you post up when you want to hit the trail you will get some top notch folks, also watch for runs others in your area post up....
and of course anytime you are in the phx area I would be happy to hit the trail with ya
keep the trail reports coming
Hey, that's me! Let me know when you want to go wheeling "Purple People Eater", i'm right in Tucson and am a youngin like yourself at the age of 24. Let me know when you plan to go out again.
This is me btw, so feel free to say hello if you see me around town.
n48610558_32010621_799.jpg

n48610558_31925635_295.jpg

Jason

Last edited:
Jasonazx said:
Hey, that's me! Let me know when you want to go wheeling "Purple People Eater", i'm right in Tucson and am a youngin like yourself at the age of 24. Let me know when you plan to go out again.
This is me btw, so feel free to say hello if you see me around town.

Hey thanks, Jason! My work schedule is pretty busy, so I have to plan my trips a couple weeks ahead of time. I'll let you know when I plan on heading out again. Just return the favor!

BTW, great looking Land Cruiser! Looks unstoppable.

Jasonazx

Adventurer
Purple People Eater said:
Hey thanks, Jason! My work schedule is pretty busy, so I have to plan my trips a couple weeks ahead of time. I'll let you know when I plan on heading out again. Just return the favor!

BTW, great looking Land Cruiser! Looks unstoppable.

I know how it is trying to balance full-time school and work, so I hear ya. I'm pretty flexible and spontaneous, so if you get an itch one day let me know and we might be able to work out a local trail run. Otherwise for 2-3 day trips I am the same way and need to plan in advance to request time off. There are lots of great trails that are close in Tucson. Thanks for the compliment on the cruiser! Your XJ is coming along nicely. My uncle has a 98 and is looking to mod it similarly to yours. I'll have to show him your write up. I am planning to go out to gunsight pass south of Tucson on the 19th if you can make it out for that!

RoundOut

Explorer
Great trip report. BTW, nobody on this forum will yell at ya. Just polite folks here, or they don't last long.

Sure enjoyed the pic of the elk herd.

Welcome to the ExPo!

James86004

Expedition Leader
That picture of the elk brought back memories. I used to work up on Anderson Mesa, and would sometimes drive out to Young's Spring for lunch. There are not a whole lot of people who have ever been there.

azskyrider

Observer
Great pictures and report. When I use to go to school up there (NAU) my best friend and I would travel all through the back roads of Anderson mesa scouting. That shot with the ELK is exactly where my brother and I took 2 down two years ago.

1leglance, this area is really nice and you should take your family out there for a weekend camping trip. The roads are not bad since they are mostly fire roads and are frequently traveled on.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan