30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Wonderful read for a Kansas flatlander! Keep it up!

I have been to Kansas and Nebraska and each time I wonder why anyone would choose to live in either state.
Nothing personal mind you.....I just can't see the attraction. :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

hikingff77

Adventurer
Great read. Good luck in your travels. I got to ask, how does one afford this kind of thing? Just curious in case I ever get the urge. ;)

4whtundra

Adventurer
hikingff77,
A trip like this does not have to cost a lot of money if you can do it right and depending on where you are in life will determine how much it will be. I don't have any real large responsibilities right now, no mortgage, no new truck payment, no babies or wife, etc. If you can minimize your debt and save a little bit of money you can do it relatively easy. That way when you are off enjoying you don't have to worry about your big truck payment, credit cards, etc. The largest bill I have on the trip is gas, since I've left California it has dropped about $1 per gallon so this helps a lot. If you can cut out spending such as going out to eat, buying a starbucks coffee, a can of soda and candy bar, etc while you travel you can save a bunch of money that way as well. Set yourself a goal and a timeline, I said I want "XYZ" amount of money by the time I leave and I'm leaving this said date. From then on you just do what you gotta do to make it happen. I sold all my "stuff", worked some overtime, paid off bills and favors and made it happen. I ended up leaving with more denero than I had planned and left one day later than my plan departure date. The way I look at the money thing is, if you have the ability to survive then you will. If you run out of money or are running low on money and you're in Texas or Alaska or wherever, go on craigslist and find a job, make your money, then take off again. If you are determined to make a choice like this in your life it may be the best thing you ever do and 5-10 years down the road you will be thinking "man that trip I did when I was 25 was so EPIC" instead of "damn I wish I had just done that trip when I had the time". You have to realize that there is a super small window in your life where you not only can do a trip like this when your young but also have the ability to make it happen. Take life by the horns :elkgrin:

Cool Joe

Hopefully, one day sometime soon I'll be able to follow in your footsteps. Starting from the other coast, in Florida of course. For now, I shall live vicariously thought you!

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
I have been to Kansas and Nebraska and each time I wonder why anyone would choose to live in either state.
Nothing personal mind you.....I just can't see the attraction. :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

I know what you mean. I`m originally from northern Minnesota. I`m moving back in a few years. Can`t stand the heat and humidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior