30 minutes and slightly more cargo space in your WJ

gprsdlyt

Adventurer
ive come up with something over the past few months, right after i did theksmith rear seat removal idea. as for a platform, ive got a template made up out of 3/8" cardboard so i have the shape down perfect. been browsing the local home depot glancing at what wood we be the best to use. still trying to get a thread started.

davis38 said:
I'm curious: how many in the Jeepin crowd sleep in the back of your rigs? I have the itch to build a sleeping platform and was wondering how you guys like it. Is it worth the trouble with changing clothes and things like that? I like the idea, but how is the practicality? Any thoughts? (BTW I go camping with my GF and 50lb. Belgian Shepherd)

I do it on my solo trips all the time. Pass seat pulled fully forward, some foam to fill in the gap, then my sleeping bag, (no platform, I find it comfy enough as is) then my pillow. Just last night I made a small shelf unit that rests against the driver side rear door to help with organization of my clothes, shoes, etc...I'll post a pic tonight.

I plan to test this setup out with myself, my dog and one of my kids at a time, but I don't know how comfy this would be with two adults and a large dog??

EDIT: I'm 5'-11.5"

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
davis38 said:
I'm curious: how many in the Jeepin crowd sleep in the back of your rigs? I have the itch to build a sleeping platform and was wondering how you guys like it. Is it worth the trouble with changing clothes and things like that? I like the idea, but how is the practicality? Any thoughts? (BTW I go camping with my GF and 50lb. Belgian Shepherd)

I've done it myself in my XJ, and will again I'm sure, but I think 1 in the limit without building something over the wheel wells and to fill the space between the rear seats and front seats. When it's warmer, I'll actually leave the hatch partially open to stretch out some more, if it's cold I've got a position I can kind of curl up in, with my cooler in the rear floorboard, and I sleep surprisingly well. This is all on the raw floor/seat back with a thermarest mattress and a sleeping bag.

As promised here are the pics of the shelf I made to help organize my gear while solo camping inside the jeep. Nothing special, but perhaps someone will be inspired. :costumed-smiley-007

Here you can see it off to the left behind the cargo area divider.
100_1499%20(Medium).jpg

*note the Ryobi drill case above. It's a 12v converted to run off of my Jeep battery :) It's one of my favorite non-jeep specific mods :) :)

I set it up against the driver side since the spare tire (among other variables) prevents me from sleeping on that side.
100_1502%20(Medium).jpg

A series of completed shots. I sanded all of the edges smooth and painted it.
100_1506%20(Medium).jpg

100_1505%20(Medium).jpg

100_1504%20(Medium).jpg

To the shelf unit I plan to add 12v lighting for camping to compliment the relatively poor stock dome lighting and a 3 12v power power points for the various items I plan to run off of my Deep cycle secondary battery. That will allow me to add the camping mods I need without making permanent changes to the jeep :)

winkosmosis

Explorer
When I had a WJ I slept in the back once and a little more length would have been nice (with 2 other people so diagonal wasn't an option). The space you gain from this should be useful

rctr03

Adventurer
welcome to the expo daniel!
i like all of the xj mods. sleeping off the ground is the answer.

jimmy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears