300 tdi turbo replacment, tools needed!

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
Anyone on here replaced a 300tdi turbo on a defender in the not too distant past? And If so can you tell me what tools I will need?

Now I hear you say, take a tool box, it's not quite so easy!. My turbo seals are knackered, and my truck is in Kenya. I have picked up a reconditioned unit on e-bay in the UK. And will be flying back out next week. My truck is South of Nairobi, and my tools In Nakuru north of Nairobi.

So I have to carry tools to do this swap, I am already heavy on luggage. So just need to carry what I need.

Will have the basics, Ratchet and what sockets? Mole grips and adjustable. Anything special I need?

Cheers

JSQ

Adventurer
How are the oil feed and return lines for the turbo?
You might want to think about replacing those at the same time.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the chances of getting tools on the local economy once you hit the ground? Cheap, non-specialized tools might save you some weight and money in the long run.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
There are some differences between turbos depending on the year. I have a '95 and need to pull the turbo, so if no one can provide the info I can go ahead and do it sometime this week and let you know the tools I needed.

x2 on what Jack said, especially the oil return line. A dodgy return line can cause a turbo to fail in short order. It needs to be clear internally and have no sharp bends.

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the chances of getting tools on the local economy once you hit the ground? Cheap, non-specialized tools might save you some weight and money in the long run.

Hi Mike,

You can get almost anything in Nairobi, It just costs twice the price you would pay for it at home. Thats Why we call it Nairobbery! And often Those Stanley Sockets you just paid a mint for are nock Off crap from China! So break in moments!

I do have some good tools that I carried to Kenya, but as already stated they are away from the truck.

The Oil return and other components are in good order, I re-built the engine last year so most of the truck is good. But I am banking on it being the seals. Drive for 100plus kms, take your foot off the gas pedal and Poof a massive cloud of black smoke from the turbo, and I mean masive. Let her cool down and you are good to go again. And I do not hear that nice Turbo whine! All though she still pulls well.

Have not done this job before, and it will quite litterally be under a shade tree!

Thanks

laurie-the-lorry

Adventurer
Hi Guys,

Think I am sorted, spoke with Mick Ireland, owner of Essex turbo, and he sorted me out with a brialliant deal. And lots of Advice. So the ebay one is on its way back...

Sometimes its not what you know its whou you know:Wow1:

I competed against Mick in the 2003 Cape 2 cape challenge. We won :wings:

But no hard feelings, we convoyed the last leg of 2,250 miles together. What Mick has forgotten about turbos is more than most will ever Know.

Here are a couple of pics of my Old darling Lara. She was a babe!

4268805143_c301a911af_s.jpg

4268803531_a4ab117eda_s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998