31s or 33s

JSwanson

Observer
Trying to decide like the title says. I used ,used worn out 31s so far on my mock up but set up the fenders to run a bigger tire. 31 10.50 or 33 12.50 what do you guys think. Here is a pic of the current status of my build.
d98011e203c280a80807de0e61d4e8e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4lowdean

Observer
Ideally you want to run whatever is on your tow-rig. So for me, I run 33's (& spring over) when I'm pulling it behind my LJ, but I can drop down to 30's (& spring under) when behind the Grand Cherokee.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Ideally you want to run whatever is on your tow-rig. So for me, I run 33's (& spring over) when I'm pulling it behind my LJ, but I can drop down to 30's (& spring under) when behind the Grand Cherokee.

Do you really unbolt and remount your axle when towing behind a different vehicle?

To the OP, the bigger the circle the easier it rolls over stuff...

4lowdean

Observer
Do you really unbolt and remount your axle when towing behind a different vehicle?

My primary Jeep (the LJ) has been in the shop for the last 15 months. So I switched the trailer to spring-under when I started towing it behind the Grand. When the LJ comes out of the shop I'll switch it back to spring-over. So it's not like I switch it back and forth on a daily basis. I think in total it's been switched 5 times in the 5 years I owned it.

JSwanson

Observer
Thanks for the replies. I am building this to keep busy during this covid shutdown so I am keeping the cost pretty low. I started to mess with the trailer when I had my XJ (now sold) on 31s but never got anywhere. Not interested in 35s dont wanna spend as much in tires as I have in the whole trailer. I was planning on buying an LJ or JKU this summer, but now I don't want to spend a great deal of money with the current economy. So I am leaning towards the 33s but just wanted and appreciate everyones opinion.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Smaller tires and wheels are cheaper and lighter. I think some people put on large tires with no thought of how they are going to change it. Like getting a 35" tire up inside a pickup bed on a lifted truck.

Rath

running the same size as your rig can be beneficial.

I run 35's on my truck but opted to run235/85r16 (31.7" tall) on the trailer. 35's on it were just overkill.

Chorky

Observer
For the size of trailer your building, I would run the exact same tire, size, and rim as on your rig. Never know if you get in a bad way and need redundancy...

1000arms

Ideally you want to run whatever is on your tow-rig. ...
running the same size as your rig can be beneficial. ...
For the size of trailer you're building, I would run the exact same tire, size, and rim as on your rig. Never know if you get in a bad way and need redundancy...
This does supply multiple spares if you need to drive out, then collect your trailer later.

It allows one to use fairly worn tires on the trailer (but not dangerously worn) if the trailer isn't used daily.

It can be an excuse to put new tires on your tow vehicle! :cool:

It'll ride better with the lighter tires.
yes, off road especially, the physics on unsprung weight are constant
Id build it to clear 35's why lock yourself into a specific tire size
Smaller tires and wheels are cheaper and lighter. I think some people put on large tires with no thought of how they are going to change it. Like getting a 35" tire up inside a pickup bed on a lifted truck.
... I run 35's on my truck but opted to run235/85r16 (31.7" tall) on the trailer. 35's on it were just overkill.

Also good points.

old_CWO

Two schools of thought since many tires have become comically expensive:
  • Choose a tire size that is still cheap and common, like say 235/75R15. You can still get new ATs that size for under $80 each, and used ones for a lot less. 31x10.50 and 245/75R16 sort of fall in this camp as well, at least in my area. Let's be honest, a 29" or taller tire on a trailer for most application is really big. 33 or 35 looks cool but is getting into that zone where they need big spindles and bearings on you axle and weigh a ton. Your fenders start looking like Dumbo ears as well.
  • Exactly match the tow rig. You get the previously mentioned spare sharing situation and the trailer uses truck hand me downs. This is what I do. It drives you to replace your truck tires a little sooner but that's not a bad thing. Obviously if you change trucks like you change your underpants or have multiple tow rigs this loses some of it's gloss.
However; If you want to be the coolest kid in camp there is only one answer. Old school bias ply skinny mud and snows on steelies with baby moons and round fenders. See the teardrops made by Vintage Overland for a textbook application of this look. Absolutely drop dead perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears