New Sportsmobile on Order

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
That's going to be a hell of a rig James, best of luck with her.

Need someone to drive her home?!... the long way? :sombrero:

Saline

Adventurer
Congrats! Looking good! You'll love it!

Off topic** but some worthy info:
For good info on your 6.0L check out www.thedieselstop.com
From my research here's a few things I have learned about our engines:
1). Don't chip them (head studs stretch)
2). Don't let it idle at low idle for extended periods (carbon buildup on turbo/EGR valve due to por combustion)
3). Change oil and fuel filters religiously
4). Get a coolant filtration system (long story but prevents EGR cooler and oil cooler failure)
5). Drive it every 8-10 days and drive it hard for a bit. (prevents the VGT turbo from sticking.
6). Ford also recommends using cetane boost to provide for cleaner combustion.(EGR related stuff)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Wow, only one month away!!! Very excited for you :)

funny you should ask. my preference was silver with cherry interior. but to get that in an rb wil take till march.. so the white i ike also and its on the line. i can be driving it in 1 month.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am sure the guys at SMB West can work out something with the fridge for you, I like the idea of using a slide. I could be totally off on this but after reading all through this forum and the sportsmobileforum.com I just didn't want the Norcold fridge.

I can understand your desire for the better angles on the RB, and the RB50 floorplan is the most popular for good reason. I also think the penthouse is a great way to go for most people, you get more head room when walking and more sleeproom when setup.

Not sure what you are spec'ing for the rear bumper or roof rack but I found Dave at Aluminess to be easy to work with. I am going for the large box on the back due to my overall lack of storage space and since the rig has onboard water & a 46gal fuel tank I don't plan to carry more than a 2.5gal fuel can & a collapsable water carrier.

If you looked over Alan's emerg red van you saw his rear bumper winch, something I really like but didn't go for. I am questioning my choice now as I think it woudl be great to have as a backup (pun intended).

I am going with the Rigid LED lights on my roof rack and a small antenna farm to accompany the solar panel. These rigs just look right with a roof rack and even with the penthouse top you can handle a couple hundred pounds up there.

Not sure on your front hub choice but for Disabled Explorers the Dynatrac's were a no-brainer as they fail locked, and if you are in remote areas with a failed front hub much better locked than unlocked.

As great as everyone is around here there is also good info on the sportsmobile.com forum so check it out.

I agree with Saline about not chipping or ramping up these engines as heat is a real issue, also the EGR filter thing seems spot on.
As for the diesel in Mexico, per Alan & Ford that isn't a problem on these right up until the last one is built. They are using the older engine setups so no fuel problems.

Can't wait to see pics of yours on the trail and keep us posted as to when you will either be in Fresno or anywhere in the southwest, would be cool to run with you before the next Overland Expo (we really need to make sure SMB's are the #1 rig by numbers)

SCRover

Adventurer
i have a rare disease, doctors have no name for it..

i believe it's called "i'm-better-than-you" syndrome. not really a physical ailment, more of a personality flaw. you guys and your Sportsmobiles! must be nice to be throwing money around while we peasants struggle to get by...

wanted to make sure you got yours, James; given your self-proclaimed affinity for dry humor and all. seriously awesome truck! can't imagine the excitement one would feel while his/her dream rig is rolling down the line.

trailsurfer

Explorer
i believe it's called "i'm-better-than-you" syndrome. not really a physical ailment, more of a personality flaw. you guys and your Sportsmobiles! must be nice to be throwing money around while we peasants struggle to get by...

wanted to make sure you got yours, James; given your self-proclaimed affinity for dry humor and all. seriously awesome truck! can't imagine the excitement one would feel while his/her dream rig is rolling down the line.

Now that is funny.

I am jealous of your 110. Do you have any pic's you could share?

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Great Stuff..:wings:

Ok, heres the most recent build update, no new photos, because these are all decisions and not installed yet.

going to remove ford dana 60 in rear and install dynatrac built full floating rear with positraction.

front will also be the dynatrac 60, typical in sportsmobiles with arb locker.

dynatrac locking hub option also, if they fail, they fail locked..

going to change out the atlas 1:3 for a 1:4.3- they also have a 1:3.8 but if your going low, get it done...

decided on the rear winch option.

not going to take the step sides. working on a custom rock slider for protection instead..

decided on a roof rack for sure, but it will be very low profile, more intended to protect the penthouse top.

the fridge issue is a big open one. factory will look for options on mounting a national luna or engle in the kitchen area.

thats all for now..

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great choice James...
Aluminess can do whatever you can dream of on the roof rack, they were aces with me.
Go for the solar panel option, it is worth it even if you plan to drive everyday. The fact is you could end up dead batteries and with a day of sun be charged up and ready to roll.

On the fridge, if you go engel then check out ih8mud.com for a thread on how to make it a side opener, I have the parts here and they would be a gift for your new rig.
That would give you the option of having the fridge run along the wall (thinner) and then do a custom slide that brings it out.
Or do what I am which is to treat the fridge top as part of the countertop. But that is tougher to live with.

What about rear ac, or a heater system?

What are your wheel & tire thoughts?

Trail Monkey

Thanks Lance.

Im going with the espar diesel setup and the hotwater option. not going to get the rear AC. we are 90% just two in the truck. i dont htink well need it, plus we are not full time out west either.

Im going with the 17" AR punishers in black teflon with the 315 BFG AT's

I have these on my motorcycle trailer already, so it should be a nice matchup, and allow for one spare..

surfgeek33

Adventurer
James,

We just opted for the 12V rear A/C instead of the 110 AC. It was good enough last summer season. We almost never stay on a site w/ hook-ups (The 110AC is an energy hog even with a Generator or Solar). What helps out immensely is a portable 12V "Endless Breeze" fan on those hot days.

Regarding the 315 BFG's. Make sure they are E-rated. Our 315's are D rated are IMHO under rated for the SMB. We have an Extended body and weighing in at approx 10500 loaded. Hopefully by next summer, I will have E rated tires.

Last edited:

jammyauto

Adventurer
Will SMB install an Isotherm fridge? I have one in my SMB (homebuilt interior) and it's great. I have the cruise 85 with ASU. It's quieter than my ARB fridge and has never skipped a beat in 4 years now. Good choice also to add another water tank. 16 gallons is not that much water.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Great Stuff..:wings:

Ok, heres the most recent build update, no new photos, because these are all decisions and not installed yet.

going to remove ford dana 60 in rear and install dynatrac built full floating rear with positraction.

No rear locker?

going to change out the atlas 1:3 for a 1:4.3- they also have a 1:3.8 but if your going low, get it done...

decided on the rear winch option.

Agree it is nice to be low geared when needed, a big heavy rig with 4.3:1 should be nice when crawling. What is the ring & pinion ratio? Do you get to choose?

Rear winch instead of front, or both?

not going to take the step sides. working on a custom rock slider for protection instead..

Another great plan. The regular steps I’ve seen look nice but they just look like a step (or worse, a damage multiplier when crunched) and real rock slides are soooo much better. :)

Trail Monkey

JL

the front locker is a definite. The rear will be limited slip, this way when im in two wheel drive i get power to two wheels when needed. the word on the street is that this system on the sportsmobile works so well the rear locker is not that necessary. so ill try it out and if any problems its not that big a deal to put an ARB in the rear later.

Rear winch is just to compliment front winch. I was on the fence on this one, i dont think i really need it. extra weight/money and space, but id really like to get anymajor wiring all done at the factory. so rather then add it later if i regret not having, i figured id just put it in now.

Trail Monkey

Will SMB install an Isotherm fridge? I have one in my SMB (homebuilt interior) and it's great. I have the cruise 85 with ASU. It's quieter than my ARB fridge and has never skipped a beat in 4 years now. Good choice also to add another water tank. 16 gallons is not that much water.

those isotherms look real nice. i think they are open to any aftermarket option that they can fit. they are going to try and work in a national luna or engle, which is my prefernce right now. but if its not possible due to space, ill take a closer look at the Isotherms.

thx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior