New Sportsmobile on Order

Cody1771

Explorer
God, everytime i see one of these things the jelousy meter gets pegged. i cant wait to see some pics of the new SMB, especially with the dynatrack driveline, personnaly id go with a detroit locker in the rear, i have one in my truck and i love it, unlike a full locked rear end (minispool or something) it is quite good on the road as well. cant wait to build a custom camper for my truck... anyone got a shop they wanna loan me for oh say... 8 months? lol

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
DSCN0579.jpg

DSCN0580.jpg

DSCN0581.jpg

ok, here's a few shots of Lances fridge in my truck for fitment purposes. It will actually work against the back of the drivers seat, perpedicular to the wall, on a slide, However we have decided to totally rework the cabinets and eliminate the need for a slide. the new countertop will be attached to the fridge lid with a mitered joint in the counter top were it opens. the counter top and cabinets will come off the wall further than the stock RB50 layout. increasing cabinet space and decreasing the floor area abit.

now i need to figure out exactly which fridege to use, as ill need the power on one end and the vent on the other. plus ill want to get the largest one i can use in the area..

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
He He He He ....my fridge got to hang out in your SMB before you did :)

Hey James, call up Paul at Equipt as the National Luna line is pretty varied. Plus he knows it all off the top of his head.

If you have room there is one that has 2 lids, 1 for the fridge & 1 for the freezer...that would be an energy saver.

Also really think about if you need a freezer at all. I can keep a tupperware of ice in my fridge for mixing drinks and still just use it as a fridge. To me a freezer is important only if you:
1) Really want ice cream
2) Plan on taking loooong trips without easy resupply (thus freezing some meats and such)
3) Just plain ol' want it.

Also make sure you check out basket options inside. These things are deep and baskets make it easy to take out large amounts of goods to get at what you need. Matter of fact I would rank baskets over freezer in importance.

Hey I think I will have to email Paul myself with a link to this thread and show him how that fridge really gets around :)

SCRover

Adventurer
That is one BAR* there, Blackeye! Never cease to be awed by these vehicles. Just love the idea of a self-contained go-anywhere rig built and modded in the good ol' US of A.

You SMB'ers are fortunate souls.

*Bad A&s Rig

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Good point Lance about having two doors. I have an MT60Combi in my KK which I like but it would be nice if it had more than one opening. Rarely do I want to get into the freezer, mostly the fridge.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Congrats James! Looking good.

1 Question. Is there any issue with these new ultra-low sulfur diesels that ford uses accepting Mexico or other foreign country diesel? I remember the Earthroamers having an issue with it.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
For the current and past 6.0 diesel there is no issue with the diesel. however the next gen diesel engine, not yet available in the vans will have the same issue as the other ford diesel trucks.

just the 6.0 vans are good to go...

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
For the current and past 6.0 diesel there is no issue with the diesel. however the next gen diesel engine, not yet available in the vans will have the same issue as the other ford diesel trucks.

just the 6.0 vans are good to go...

Right on. Good to hear!
:sombrero:

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
What are you keeping in that plastic case on the roof??

Sorry for the delayed response James. The small black plastic case in the rear carries jumper cables. I had problems keeping them in the trunk of my first car so from now on, I like to keep them isolated from the interior.

The black round disk in the front is the de-activated satellite TV antenna. We activated it for about a month and never watched TV. It has been dormant since then.

All the best with your build. We are excited for you!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I don't want to excessively dilute James' thread... but what problems with jumper cables in the truck? Battery acid, electrical?

Sorry for the delayed response James. The small black plastic case in the rear carries jumper cables. I had problems keeping them in the trunk of my first car so from now on, I like to keep them isolated from the interior.

The black round disk in the front is the de-activated satellite TV antenna. We activated it for about a month and never watched TV. It has been dormant since then.

All the best with your build. We are excited for you!

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I don't want to excessively dilute James' thread... but what problems with jumper cables in the truck? Battery acid, electrical?

Consider it diluted. It was the impact that the battery acid had with other items in the trunk. Keep in mind this was a long time ago, but I keep them isolated now just to be safe.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
James, you're going to love the NL weekender 52 fridge/freezer....nothing like Popsicles in the desert in August!

etbadger

Adventurer
Great Stuff..:wings:
going to change out the atlas 1:3 for a 1:4.3- they also have a 1:3.8 but if your going low, get it done...

I'd suggest you bring along a GPS on pickup, and do a small run, to verify the low ratio installed is what you ordered. We ordered the 1:3.8, but when I finally got around to measuring the true-speed/indicated-speed it turned out we ended up with the 1:3.

-e

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12