New Sportsmobile on Order

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Super Nice Build!!!

James,

Killer build, very nicely thought out rig and great thread, fun to watch someones baby be born!! Thanks for posting all this info and pictures, helps us dreamers/wannabe's, maybe some day:drool:. Wow, love those new brakes, those are Huge :Wow1: for stock. I will be excited to see how your delivery/shake down goes:smiley_drive:. Wow, one heck of a C'mass present my friend, it must be your turn this year :wings: enjoy my friend!!!

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Anybody have experience purchasing a SMB from Fresno and registering it out of California. Basically SMB says that i have to pay the CA sales tax to take delivery in CA. Otherwise they will drive the truck to Vegas for me to take delivery and avoid the CA tax.

I have no issues with paying the tax in CA as the rate is very similar to NY, however i fear that NY will want the tax also when i try to register it with NY plates.

Another option for me is to pay the CA tax and then try to register it in AZ where it will spend alot of time. AZ allows out of state residents to register vehicles in AZ, CA does not..

any thoughts..?

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
HAH I just went through all of this with Disabled Explorers....

California sales tax is higher than Arizona so SMB West delivered the van to SEMA in Las Vegas where I offically took delivery. They place a temp reg tag on it so I could drive home to Arizona.

Arizona did look to see if I had paid the CA tax and only since I didn't Arizona ask Disabled Explorers to pay 5.6% sales tax along with registration fees...still less than California would have charged and since it comes out of my overtime work at the hospital I was very very happy :)

I was lucky enough to visit the SMB West factory a number of times during the build and hang with Alan at SEMA so I don't feel I missed out on any new owner orientation that would otherwise happen when a person picks up their new rig.

It really comes down to money vs time/hassle....
in your case James there is a real benefit to arriving at SMB West in the morning, spending some time getting to know your rig and it's systems and camping close to Fresno the first night just in case there is anything to catch before starting a long trek east. I don't know the math you face well enough to say if that is worth the tax difference.

There is also the issue of AZ annual reg cost vs NY...these do get classed as RV's so that could make a difference even if you pay the tax in Cali.

Vegas is only like 6hrs from Fresno and I am pretty sure the guy they use to deliver the vans is a regular at it so he could give you the full tour and if needed you aren't that far from Fresno...again cash vs time/hassle.

If it was me, there is just something fun about being at the factory, meeting Alan, Jonathan, Liz and everyone that I enjoy. Of course you will see Alan & some of them at the Overland Expo...but that new rig feeling :)

Have I clouded the issue enough yet with my rambling?

trailsurfer

Explorer
Anybody have experience purchasing a SMB from Fresno and registering it out of California. Basically SMB says that i have to pay the CA sales tax to take delivery in CA. Otherwise they will drive the truck to Vegas for me to take delivery and avoid the CA tax.

I have no issues with paying the tax in CA as the rate is very similar to NY, however i fear that NY will want the tax also when i try to register it with NY plates.

Another option for me is to pay the CA tax and then try to register it in AZ where it will spend alot of time. AZ allows out of state residents to register vehicles in AZ, CA does not..

any thoughts..?

Make the drive to Vegas or Reno. If your State does not give you credit for the taxes already paid, there is really no way around this issue.

California wonders why businesses are leaving in record numbers.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, 'buy in CA' pay taxes in CA...

When I purchased my 4Runner from a So Cal Toyota dealer over the phone three years ago and had it shipped to Nor Cal (Roseville) I had to pay Calif. sales taxes because that is where it was purchased and I took delivery. I think CA law is very clear on this.

Once home in Nevada it was clear that I had already paid sales tax and therefore I didn't need to pay taxes in Nevada, just vehicle registration fees.

Topher Walters

Adventurer
Call the guys at SMB west they know the ins and outs of this procedure. I would think you would be able to do the full tour at the factory and then drive out with their driver to NV and take delivery. You would really need to contact NY and find out if their taxes are more or less than CA (yea I'm laughing too CA taxes are probably higher) and find out if NY will credit you the taxes that you paid in CA. If you take delivery in CA and pay CA taxes then take it to NY and try to register it and they want to tax you agian that would really suck. Contact the guys at Fresno they have sold a few of these rigs and should know the program.

Topher Walters

Adventurer
BTW I saw your rig when I was at Fresno awhile back it looks great. I met Lance there when he was working to get his rig ready for SEMA. He has a great setup also.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Looks beyond awesome, we need to invent a word...... Vantastic!

What model Kenwood is that?

Trail Monkey

Looks beyond awesome, we need to invent a word...... Vantastic!

What model Kenwood is that?

thanks for all the positive feedback guys.. The Radio is a kenwood ddx 514. its not actually very high end. No GPS. Just a basic DVD player to support the flate screen TV and then stereo functions and Ipod compatibility. Im using the Garmin 540 and a leptop for nav functions and didnt want to pay twice...

rcm89

Arizona did look to see if I had paid the CA tax and only since I didn't Arizona ask Disabled Explorers to pay 5.6% sales tax along with registration fees...

With the wheelchair lift, there was NO SALES TAX here in TX on either my van or trailer [yeah, DMV hates to see me come wheeling thru the door :) ]. YMMV, but you might want to look into that...even retroactively. 5.6% of the new van price is a big chunk of money that I'm sure could go to better use than the state coffers...

Trail Monkey

Got the smb. Loving it. Did yosemite and some trails in national forest. Headed to kings canyon today. Photos of truck in a day or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior