33x12.50 Radial TSL to 33x10.50 BFG AT?

DavidG

Adventurer
Hello all,

Lately I've been considering a switch to a less aggressive tire. I have a set of street tires that I run for long distance family trips (no trails) and a set for more serious trail work. As most of you are aware, the Super Swamper is neither known for its great tread longevity nor its long distance highway attributes. I don't mind the noise on road and they perform great offroad, but they're too much tire for my rig (4.272's and semi-anemic SOHC 3.5) and they will not last long driving back and forth to the trails. I got a great deal on them, and at the time thought it would be the way to go...times change.

So here I am. Because money is tight I'm looking at trades. I would prefer a 33x10.50 BFG Mud. Over the years I've run BFG Mud (255/85-16 x2 Suburban and 32x11.50-15 Montero) and always loved them. My CJ5 runs Swampers, but that's a different sort of machine :) Anyway, I've never run any flavor of All Terrains. I have an opportunity to trade for a set of low mileage 33x10.50 BFG All Terrains and I'm wondering if this is too great a compromise. I suspect they will perform well in most conditions, except deep mud (we don't have any sand to speak of).

Can anyone provide feedback on making the switch from mud tires to all terrains? Did you regret it? Thoughts on the BFG AT in particular?

Thanks,
David

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I tend to bounce back and forth between BFG MTs and BFG ATs. For a daily driver, hard to beat a good AT tread. They are quieter, slightly better gas mileage, noticeably better road manners and last longer.

I think going from a Swamper to an AT is a pretty radical switch, but if you give them a chance I don't think you'll mind. I'm not going to blow smoke and tell you that an AT is everything an MT or Swamper is. Sure, they are compromise, but everything is. What you give up in offroad traction you gain in longer life and being able to hear your passengers on the highway.

Let's face it, the Rubicon and lots of other hard trails have been run in ATs, so skill and patience has as much to do with what you can tackle as the rig itself. It sounds like you have at least two trucks. If I had a second trail-only truck there is no doubt I would use ATs on my daily driver/mild trails truck.

madizell

Explorer
I don't think you will find an AT tire that does anything that a Swamper will do. On the other hand, while I have used Swampers, and raced on them, for years, I don't like the radial Swampers at all. I use the bias ply tires only in a Swamper line.

Of course, the bias ply tires are not a highway tire. So, I guess it depends on where you do your driving, and in what venue you really want your tires to perform. Anything that does pavement really well won't be a primo off-road tire. I suggest you decide where you want to get the most out of your tires, and choose accordingly, and let the compromise be in all other areas, even if that means less than sterling highway performance.

If you do mud from time to time, don't expect the BFG AT to get you all that far. They do pretty well on wet dirt, but not deep mud.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Can't stand AT's. Yes they are quieter but I hate the ride and noticed no difference in mpg. MT's all the way for me.

OK, having said that, the PO put on new BFG AT's (245/75-16) right before I bought the truck. With new tires on it I was hesitant to buy new ones. I recently found someone who was looking for the size AT's I had so I sold him mine and bought some GT Radial Adventuros M/T. The MT's are louder but the ride is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears