35 mm film and processing sources?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
In a moment of creative energy I pulled my old Nikons out and was playing with them and was looking to start using them again. The internet is great for locating all kinds of sources for film and processing. But, instead of just picking one, does anyone have a rcommendation for B/W film and processing?

I'd be happy with sources for Ilford or Tri-X film and for processing, just looking for B/W processing with a contact sheet and/or converting to a digital medium or download on-line from the processor at a reasonable cost and no hassle.

Thanks!

7868CAB0-0B08-4B7D-BD0F-BA47864217EB.jpeg

SRN

Adventurer
In a moment of creative energy I pulled my old Nikons out and was playing with them and was looking to start using them again. The internet is great for locating all kinds of sources for film and processing. But, instead of just picking one, does anyone have a rcommendation for B/W film and processing?

I'd be happy with sources for Ilford or Tri-X film and for processing, just looking for B/W processing with a contact sheet and/or converting to a digital medium or download on-line from the processor at a reasonable cost and no hassle.

Thanks!

View attachment 634112
For purchasing supplies, I use Freestyle Photographic. I still develop my own film, and there are still a handful of shops locally that I use for prints. I've never used an online source for processing, but I know that there are a handful of decent ones out there. I think there is a thread somewhere here on ExPo talking about that.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
For purchasing supplies, I use Freestyle Photographic. I still develop my own film, and there are still a handful of shops locally that I use for prints. I've never used an online source for processing, but I know that there are a handful of decent ones out there. I think there is a thread somewhere here on ExPo talking about that.

Thanks. I did a portal search for film processing and didn't find anything, I'll take another look. Thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Lately I've been mailing my film to The Slider Printer/Denver Digital.

http://www.theslideprinter.com/services/e6-slide-developing/

When we still lived in south Denver I used to have Englewood Camera do my E6 and C41. Bryce is the owner, he and I rode cyclocross together. Most of the cameras I own came from his used case.

https://www.englewoodcamera.com/

Not that you're going to drive your film into town, but you could. I wish I had the option to hand deliver highly important rolls since I have two in shipping limbo that left GJ two weeks ago but are not yet arrived at Denver Digital, which is upsetting.

I just do B&W myself. For me it's just as easy to order supplies (I use B&H out of New York).

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Lately I've been mailing my film to The Slider Printer/Denver Digital.

http://www.theslideprinter.com/services/e6-slide-developing/

When we still lived in south Denver I used to have Englewood Camera do my E6 and C41. Bryce is the owner, he and I rode cyclocross together. Most of the cameras I own came from his used case.

https://www.englewoodcamera.com/

Not that you're going to drive your film into town, but you could. I wish I had the option to hand deliver highly important rolls since I have two in shipping limbo that left GJ two weeks ago but are not yet arrived at Denver Digital, which is upsetting.

I just do B&W myself. For me it's just as easy to order supplies (I use B&H out of New York).

Thanks for the suggestions! As luck has it, Mike's Camera in Boulder had film, processing and will put it on digital media for a reasonable price.

I grabbed a couple rolls of Ilford 400 and snapped some shots while out in Aspen, Snowmass and Marble last weekend. Was a ton of fun running the FE again......Will see how they turn out!

Heading to GJ tomorrow for a 2 day Bill Burke Recovery class and plan on shooting the second roll there.....see how that turns out.

89923DF6-344A-4527-9E16-C79B3CB2AFAA.jpegC2E5881B-37DC-4792-91BE-2E9EE7F1F99D.jpeg

lucky7

Adventurer
I buy film from B&H, Freestyle and FPP. I've used the darkroom lab in CA and Northeast Photograpic in ME. Tri-X and Tmax 400 for me.

Riptide

Explorer
So cool. I finally broke down and bought an Olympus OM-4T a few months ago, a camera I've wanted since it came out in the late 80's. I sent it and my old OM-1n off to be serviced. Looking forward to dabbling in film again. My wife even has all her old developing equipment that we're thinking of resurrecting...

And she might even dig out her FE!

Wander

Expedition Leader
This is giving me the bug to break out my film cameras. There is nothing better sounding that the shutter and motor drive on my Nikon F4. I will have a Leica one day!

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I was looking through my chest freezer the other day and found a box with a bunch of old Kodachrome slide film...ASA25, 64, and 200. Been there since I went digital some 20 years ago. And I still have all my old Nikons but I have no plans to ever shoot film again. So, if anyone could still use this stuff I'd be happy to donate it....problem is, I don't believe there are any labs that can develop Kodachrome anymore. And it cannot be developed at home.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Sadly, mamma took your Kodachrome away. :-(

There's stock left out there and it pops up on eBay but Dwayne's stopped processing it in 2010. Who knows, maybe one day there will be someone who figures out a way to process it again. That happened with Impossible Project, now known as Polaroid. The documentary about those guys trying to figure out the formula was pretty good, too.

It's not hyperbole to say most of the 20th century was recorded on Kodachrome.

mccurry_custom-d8f18fad4de9bb35b8dcb13c51d529c0f290463f-s1400.jpg

1000arms

Sadly, mamma took your Kodachrome away. :-(
It's not hyperbole to say most of the 20th century was recorded on Kodachrome.
Not many films have a state park named after them! :cool:

Axelwik

Sending black & white out for processing is a crapshoot since every black & white film is processed differently. Most who process it just throw it all together - Kodak, Ilford, etc. all in the same vat. Some is overdeveloped some underdeveloped, and many are developed in something that isn't ideal for the film. Color is a different story because C-41 and E6 are standardized.

Doing it yourself is very easy, doesn't require a darkroom - only a dark place like a changing bag or tent to load the film into the daylight developing tanks (I've even done it in a sleeping bag) and the rest is done in a kitchen or bathroom. You only need running water and two chemicals- developer and fixer.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, especially for black and white film, it is super easy to develop yourself.

Just need a daylight film tank, reel, chemicals, and a way to dispose of said chemicals.

And if you've never done it, keep in mind the part about working in complete darkness to crack the film canister and load into the developing reel.

Practice practice practice... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan